Basketball Classification

I'm not suggesting it should happen, although we'd get more games... but were Kentucky to go the route it appears to be heading, what would be the appropriate way to do so?

As an All A guy, I like the mid-season tournament. I think seeing where you stand against schools close to your size can be very telling in what the rest of the season will require to compete in the three tournaments at the end of the year.

Let's assume there would be six classes as in football.

Are there enough schools from each class in each region for this to be feasible?

Would this solve region realignment or throw another wrench in it?

I'm looking more for how you would do it if it were inevitable than argument over why they should or shouldn't.

What say you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the only reason people are against classification is so we can preserve the David vs Goliath thing?

Well, and 100 years of history.

What many do not realize is that from 1927-31 there were two classes in Kentucky - Class A and Class B. Each district was divided in half, with the larger schools playing in Class A and the smaller in Class B. The winners from each class would play for an overall district championship but both advanced to the region tournament (this is why we still send winners and runners-up to the region). At the region tournament, the four largest schools were Class A and the four smallest were Class B. The winners from each class would play for an overall region championship but both advanced to the state tournament (there were only eight regions at the time). Finally, the state tournament was classified as A and B, with the largest remaining schools playing in A and the smallest in B. The two winners met for an overall state championship.

As mentioned earlier, the top two in each district still advance to the region. However, since 1932 there have been sixteen regions with only the winner advancing to the state tournament.

There is a way to have a big state tournament with classes. Imagine a Saturday or a Sunday with 3 championship games.

There is a way, but the Sweet 16 (registered trademark) will look vastly different (perhaps 4 classes and the final four in each class at Rupp for 16 total teams).

But you CAN'T class it and keep 16 regions per class. Even eight would be a stretch. If you go to four regions, that's an awful lot of travel and no rivalries.

I'm NOT against classifying, per se. However, I have yet to see one single basketball classification alignment AND the proposed postseason schedule to go with it that I can get behind.

Furthermore, you will kill your media coverage by having multiple tournaments at one time involving multiple teams from same area.

Furthermore, you will kill your media coverage by having multiple tournaments at one time involving multiple teams from same area.

Why would media be spread out? It could all be played in the same arena over several days. Don’t see it being a problem with media.

There is a way, but the Sweet 16 (registered trademark) will look vastly different (perhaps 4 classes and the final four in each class at Rupp for 16 total teams).

But you CAN'T class it and keep 16 regions per class. Even eight would be a stretch. If you go to four regions, that's an awful lot of travel and no rivalries.

I'm NOT against classifying, per se. However, I have yet to see one single basketball classification alignment AND the proposed postseason schedule to go with it that I can get behind.

3 classes with 8 regions. You basically combined 2 regions together. Travel would be more but not terrible.

8 teams from each class go to rupp.

Tuesday Class A plays 4 games

Wednesday 2A plays 4 games

Thursday 3A plays four games

Friday 6 games all your semis

Saturday 3 championship games.

Why would media be spread out? It could all be played in the same arena over several days. Don’t see it being a problem with media.

For state, no. Media coverage would still be fine. But how many teams/games do you plan on having at Rupp for state?

However, for district and regions, you would be likely to have several going on at one time at different locales.

I’m just an old traditionalists but I like it the way is. That’s coming from a person who’s local high school has 215 students and the closest we’ve come to making it to the Sweet 16 were a couple of regional runner-up finishes.

The All A tournament satisfies my state tournament desires enough (my school has made it to the All A State 4 times and was runner-up once) that it keeps me happy with the KHSAA Sweet 16 format.

1 State Champion is the best thing about KY Basketball!

It’s awesome that everyone competes against everyone. If i was a head coach and was in the new “2A”...how would it benefit my team to play any other level? It makes all games against other classes rivals or not irrelevant IMO

I'm not suggesting it should happen, although we'd get more games... but were Kentucky to go the route it appears to be heading, what would be the appropriate way to do so?

I don't think it appears to be heading that way. I see no reason to do it when there are small schools still winning Sweet 16's or making deep runs. Even if "Small" schools were shut out for a decade or longer I think basketball in Kentucky is fine exactly the way it is and does not need to change.

As for your question...IF it were to ever happen, I'd be happy with two classes basically Football Class 1-3A and Football Class 4-6A as a guide line for the two classes.

I hate the idea of it but if indeed it did happen, 3 classes makes the most sense to me. Enrollment numbers don't matter as much with basketball as it does with football so I can't see the need for more than three classes. I'd be fine with two classes if it ever happened.