Basketball Classification

You know how many states don’t class baseball?

3. KY, Alaska, and Delaware

And Delaware only has about 70 or so basketball playing schools. I’m guessing Alaska probably has even less.

There no logical reason for KY not to class all the major sports. Just because you’ve always done something one way, doesn’t mean it’s the right or best way.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 classes with 8 regions. You basically combined 2 regions together. Travel would be more but not terrible.

8 teams from each class go to rupp.

Tuesday Class A plays 4 games

Wednesday 2A plays 4 games

Thursday 3A plays four games

Friday 6 games all your semis

Saturday 3 championship games.

That could work. Have no problem with that.

It's doing three regions at one time at 3 different sites (and further travel) which becomes problematic.

Take Frankfort for example. You could have Frankfort, Western Hills and Franklin County playing in 3 separate region tournaments at 3 separate sites at the same time.

Bardstown and E'town and Ashland media could be in same boat.

And Delaware only has about 70 or so basketball playing schools. I’m guessing Alaska probably has even less.

There no logical reason for KY not to class all the major sports. Just because you’ve always done something one way, doesn’t mean it’s the right or best way.

The logical reason is playing in the Sweet 16 and knowing that if you win YOU ARE THE ONLY State Champion is the best thing for HS kids.

Having classes would 100% affect attendance. If I had kids in 1A playing in the state tourney...I would have no desire to go the other one unless high level talent is playing, which to be real is not a guarantee year in and year out.

Just like the ole saying goes “IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT”

The Sweet 16 is the best thing ever...quit messing up a good thing!

Exactly

When Indiana went to class basketball, the sectionals (equivalent to districts) lost all their luster. Rivalry match-ups in your sectional went away and teams sometimes had to travel over an hour to play in their sectional. Fan attendance at the sectional level was terrible. Not sure if this is still the case, but I'd assume to ensure teams are playing within their class, the travel necessary would be the same or worse than it was in Indiana. Ask a majority of people in Indiana and they'll tell you class basketball killed the state tournament.

When Indiana went to class basketball, the sectionals (equivalent to districts) lost all their luster. Rivalry match-ups in your sectional went away and teams sometimes had to travel over an hour to play in their sectional. Fan attendance at the sectional level was terrible. Not sure if this is still the case, but I'd assume to ensure teams are playing within their class, the travel necessary would be the same or worse than it was in Indiana. Ask a majority of people in Indiana and they'll tell you class basketball killed the state tournament.

Not saying everyone in Indiana doesn't like the class system, but I can tell you that I have yet to meet a single Indiana basketball fan who likes it. Attendance is markedly down and many traditional rivalries withered.

Basketball is more than sport in KY, as we all know. And in KY, we've had plenty of instances where "David" slew "Goliath"... granted, the larger schools win most of the titles. The Law of Large Numbers is hard to get around. But names like Breckinridge County, Edmonson County, Paintsville, University Heights, ad infinitum are names of small schools that are indelibly printed on the brains of every Kentuckian....I can still remember watching Edmonson County stun state power Shelbyville in the Sweet 16 and then roll on to the championship in the 70s....Last I heard, they still had "state champions" on the back of the Edmonson warm-ups.... :-) Gotta love it.

I think this discussion reinforces why the all a and now the all "2a" might be the best way to accomplish what everybody wants.

I've attended several all a tournaments through the years and they are very fun. I have had friends who had kids at University Heights and I've gone to the semi-finals or finals. I'm glad it's back at EKU. the crowds will be better.

I like the idea of having the big midseason tournament and then the big state tournament at the end of the year. In a lot of the rural parts of the state, the all a region champion has a chance to get to the sweet 16. Buckhorn was an example several years back. UHA multiple years.

I think we have the best of both worlds. Why screw it up. Keep the sweet 16 and embrace the mid season all a and all "2a".

I think this discussion reinforces why the all a and now the all "2a" might be the best way to accomplish what everybody wants.

I've attended several all a tournaments through the years and they are very fun. I have had friends who had kids at University Heights and I've gone to the semi-finals or finals. I'm glad it's back at EKU. the crowds will be better.

I like the idea of having the big midseason tournament and then the big state tournament at the end of the year. In a lot of the rural parts of the state, the all a region champion has a chance to get to the sweet 16. Buckhorn was an example several years back. UHA multiple years.

I think we have the best of both worlds. Why screw it up. Keep the sweet 16 and embrace the mid season all a and all "2a".

The KHSAA has to love the All A even though they would not admit it. It has kept the pressure of classification down. The new 2A brings back the discussion

The idea of one state champion is why the Sweet 16 is so coveted, IMO. In basketball, you are truly the best in the state. There is no argument to be made. In football, for example, there are five other champions (ridiculous), and you can never be crowned as THE state champion. Just my two cents.

The KHSAA has to love the All A even though they would not admit it. It has kept the pressure of classification down. The new 2A brings back the discussion

Yeah. But it won't get far. Eventually, just like the all a, the khsaa will like the all "2a" because it will do the same thing the all a has done.

Every year, Union, Trigg, Webster or Hopkins Central will get to go to "state"...

I have said this on here before...leave it the way it is except class the districts by enrollment in each region. That way the small schools have a chance to rep in the regional tournaments. That is an easy fix and throws a bone to those who say the small schools don't have a chance year in and year out.

Three classes in every sport. Like sweet16 said, eight sections or regions for each class.

I get that the Sweet 16 is the cash cow for the KHSAA. Just come out and say so. Don't say that it's about preserving tradition.

It IS about preserving tradition...a wonderful tradition. A unique tradition.

If it also is a cash cow for the KHSAA...so be it. No harm done.