Kentucky 73 Utah Valley 63

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching this one, had to dvr due to h.s. football. .....and yes, there is a long, long, long way to go. When you throw 8 or 9 kids that's never played a college game in their lives, we're going to get that. Regular season crowd at Rupp still isn't like the couple of scrimmages / practices they have had. I would say that the UK freshmen were as "big eyed" as the opponent coming into Rupp. Actually, Utah Valley came out more relaxed than the young Wildcats, and it showed ....especially in the 1st half.

As for the game, I really liked how U.K. looked in the zone defense and getting out and running off steals or rebounds.

This team is going to take some beatings, especially early on. Three games in 5 days coming up ....a good Vermont team on Sunday and then comes the first major test on Tuesday when we play Kansas.

It's a win, but the Cats could easily lose the next two.

Agree !00%. Vermont has a good team, and we all know about Kansas. These losses won't bother me too much but as the season goes on, I expect to see huge advancements. I hope Cal can get them to gel together early. If he can, no telling how far this team can go.

Whatever happens I am just so glad basketball season is here and I am able to enjoy the ride.

Just remember what Cal always says about his young teams not knowing how to play defense. He can't wait until the school semester is over and he can get the team's full attention at the extra practices working on defense. This team will look much different come Jan. 1 than they do today especially on help defense. Right now it's easy to beat them on picks. That will change after they learn to help on defense. They won't give up as many easy buckets, they'll get blocks and steals and setup the fast break off of them.

First half they were just going through the motions and seemed to think just showing up was enough. I'd love to hear the half time talk from Cal. Seems like he got their attention. That said Utah Valley has a nice little team and the two guys inside are both decent players.