Kentucky 73 Utah Valley 63

16thBBall Fan

Adolph Rupp also eschewed the zone but late in his tenure he relented and played a 1-3-1 but he was too stubborn to call it a zone. He called it (and someone please help me out on this) a "transitional hyperbolic trapezoid" or something like that.

I think he may have added “with man to man principles.”

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it's as simple as making shots. UK shot 20% in the first half and were down 9; shot 60% in the second half and outscore them by 19. This team is definitely suited to play zone but I think its effectiveness last night is being overstated. You have to learn how to play zone as much as you have to learn how to play man to man. The switch to zone itself threw UVU off--it's amazing how a simple change can turn things. Cal got out of it when they split the guards up top for a short runner and then gave up a 3. The second time they went zone they were giving up open 3's--#11 could have gone off had they stayed in it.

They had a bad shooting half. Defense wasn't outstanding but they gave up 63 points on 41% shooting and forced 20 turnovers--those aren't bad number and UVU is not a terrible team.

Not ready to panic yet.

The reason shooting went up was the zone forcing turnovers that put UK in the open floor for fast break buckets.

The reason shooting went up was the zone forcing turnovers that put UK in the open floor for fast break buckets.

Part of the reason, no doubt. This team needs to get out and run. A couple of run-outs and a couple of transition advantages helps but outside of those 2 minutes, they got the same shots in each half. They missed at least 10 shots inside of 5 feet in the first half.