3 Values/Traits Your Parents Instilled in You

Lawnboy13

Feel free to just list and/or expound on the values your thankful your parents instilled in you.

1. The importance of weekly attendance at Mass.

2. Donating/giving time to church, school, & others.

3. The value of Family.

We would go (and still do) as a family when I was in grade school and high school, although there were those times I would go on my own during those times. When we would go on vacation we still found a church to attend, and I did the same thing during my softball playing days when we were out of town. Mrs. Lawnboy used to say, "the way you carried on back then, you needed to go more than once a week", and I probably should off. :lol2: We do it now with 3.0 when we are out of town for her games, much to her chagrin. I can't even recall the last time I missed my Sunday obligation.

From an early age my parents were always donating their time, treasure, & talents to a myriad of things, mostly to schools & churches........and because of their example I have done the same, and I hope that my examples pass on to all three of Daddy's Little Girls.

Both parents come from big families, so we were always doing things with family. This also includes helping out when family members are in need for one reason or another....although my brother who didn't have kids until he was 45 (has 3 now), tries to take advantage of family now. :lol2:

I feel truly blessed for the parents I have and the values the have instilled in me, although I'm sure I failed them only once or twice. :whistling:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Family is all you really have. Never turn your back on your family matter what they do.

2) Help those who need help no matter what. When you think you can't help more, help more.

3)Try hard, work hard, don't ever give up, and be the best "you" can be.

1) The importance of providing for your family...dad sometimes had 2 full time jobs and would work on the side when he could.

2) Love unconditionally...you may not forget but you can always forgive

3) Time = Love...spend as much time as possible with your kids and your parents, in the end the rest doesn't mean much.

4) If someone is paying you to do a job, do it the best you possibly can.

1) Family is all you really have. Never turn your back on your family matter what they do.

2) Help those who need help no matter what. When you think you can't help more, help more.

3)Try hard, work hard, don't ever give up, and be the best "you" can be.

Kind of like what Mother Teresa once said, "give till it hurts, then give some more".

1. Hard work will pay off

2. If you say you're gonna do something do it

3. I learned this one from my father, not by what he said, but by his actions. He always said 'yes' when I asked him for time to play or talk or help with homework. I have tried to do the same with my kids...not be lazy and say no because I'm tired or watching some tv show. I try to say yes as often as I can.

1. Work hard, play hard

2. Live within your means

3. blood is thicker than water.

The also gave me the foundation to have a belief in God and raised me in the Catholic church. They spent a lot of money and made a lot of sacrifices to do so. It was a great decision. Not sure of any single message that was instilled, but I'm glad they did it and we followed what they did.

-God first; go to Mass and be a good Catholic

-Kindness and service to others

-Political/community activism

I try my best on #1 & #2, but woefully let them down on #3. They’ve kept that ‘60’s hippie energy all these years, which is one of the best and most fun characteristics I LOVE about my parents.