While we are on the topic of playing up (or down) in football class...

theguru

No team should be able to play up or down in football class. I don't care about logistics, there are too many unintended negative consequences to letting teams change classes. If for no other reason than it creates some cloak and dagger secrecy in some of the schools that petition the KHSAA to play up.

Again, every team should have to play in the class they qualify for, no exceptions.

Anyone disagree? If so, why?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A question I have wondered....

Why not let the schools vote being effected by the move in the old and new class?

If you ar ein the new class and think adding the team to your District would help you could vote yes. If you are in the old class and feel like losing that team would negatively effect your program you could vote "no"?

A question I have wondered....

Why not let the schools vote being effected by the move in the old and new class?

If you ar ein the new class and think adding the team to your District would help you could vote yes. If you are in the old class and feel like losing that team would negatively effect your program you could vote "no"?

So you want the same idiots that voted for 6 classes and voted for 4 teams per district to make the playoffs to vote on anything else!?

NO!

Play in the class you're supposed to. It is clean and fair, with very little room for (legitimate) complaint.

As far as I'm concerned, all the stuff about the travel where 1-2 district teams might get messed over because of travel hardship just shows that there are too many classes. If we had four classes, you still might have to travel a ways to some games, but you'd also have some close ones as well. It also makes scheduling way, way easier. But that's another topic.....

Play in the class you're supposed to. It is clean and fair, with very little room for (legitimate) complaint.

As far as I'm concerned, all the stuff about the travel where 1-2 district teams might get messed over because of travel hardship just shows that there are too many classes. If we had four classes, you still might have to travel a ways to some games, but you'd also have some close ones as well. It also makes scheduling way, way easier. But that's another topic.....

I agree the travel complaint is more the product of too many classes vs. playing in the proper class. That is tail wagging dog logic.

Also, many teams purposely take on long road trips each year because they know it prepares you better which is even more reason travel concerns fall upon deaf ears.

No team should be able to play up or down in football class. I don't care about logistics, there are too many unintended negative consequences to letting teams change classes. If for no other reason than it creates some cloak and dagger secrecy in some of the schools that petition the KHSAA to play up.

Again, every team should have to play in the class they qualify for, no exceptions.

1,000% AGREE!!!

Look at what all this petitioning to move up and down and granting these requests has resulted in- a mere 12 months later they are already talking about re-alignment and placing schools where they really belong enrollment wise.

Not to mention that for some reason, this most recent re-alignment was based on a four year average enrollment vs the two year average which they had been using for a decade prior.

So here they are again- resolved nothing.

Play where your population puts you and be done!!!

The only good reason I can think of for asking to play up in class is to make more money at the gate by potentially playing more traditional opponents, like when Highlands and CovCath are always changing classes at the same time. If schools are playing up to avoid tougher competition, they shouldn't be allowed to do that.

A few years ago Russellville, with Class A enrollment, played in 3A for 4 years. They won their district all four years. In A, they would have been in district with Mayfield. In 2A, they would have been in district with Fort Campbell when they were on their last hot streak. I'm in favor of schools playing up for financial, but not competitive reasons.

K

Disagree. Bath County and West Carter are prime examples. Both are upper 2A with no other 2A districts even remotely close. However the 3A district the are currently in features several bordering counties to them that are traditional rivals as well. I understand your rational but there must opportunity for legitimate exceptions.

K

Disagree. Bath County and West Carter are prime examples. Both are upper 2A with no other 2A districts even remotely close. However the 3A district the are currently in features several bordering counties to them that are traditional rivals as well. I understand your rational but there must opportunity for legitimate exceptions.

As soon as the KHSAA makes one exception it opens the door for every team to build a case and at the end of the day it is all subjective.

You are right, we disagree.

Allowing people to go up or down really runs the risk of being abused.

I can think of several teams who could cut down on travel by going up. They would even play more traditional rivals. Oh, they also would have won the district the last few years. But, yeah, less time on busses. Rivalry.....

For every case that makes any time of sense, there are 2 more teams waiting to find an easier path. And after enough schools change from their normal class, why have classes anyway?

Its all too subjective to never be exploited. So don't even run the risk.

I do not disagree with this, but I will throw out that money may have some part to play in this. For some districts the board does not pay for travel expenses, and in turn can cost a lot of money to travel to games that are a long distance to travel not to mention having to feed the team out of your own money on top of paying for transportation. Outside of that I can't make much of an argument against this logic