BB King Has Died

The Thrill Is Gone

Riley "Blues Boy" King - B.B. King - has died at 89 years old. He went into hospice care last week after long-suffering from Type II diabetes.

One of the all-time electric blues masters. He spent over 65 years in the music business, collected 15 Grammy Awards, was been inducted into both the Blues Hall of Fame and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, received an honorary doctorate from Brown University, was awarded the US Congress' National Medal of Arts, a Kennedy Center Honor, and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

King was well known for playing a signature semi-hollow Gibson electric guitar named "Lucille". The story famously goes that King was playing a show early on in his music career in an Arkansas dance hall, when the hall caught fire. Everyone quickly evacuated the building, and once outside, King decided to run back into the building to retrieve his guitar. After barely making it back out with his life (and his guitar), King came to learn that the fire, which killed two people, had been started when two men fighting over a woman named Lucille had kicked over a lit kerosene heater in the scuffle. King then decided to name his guitar, along with a long line of guitars to follow, "Lucille" to act as a constant reminder not to be dumb enough to ever run into a burning building or to fight over a woman.

bbking1.jpg

bbking6.jpg

bbking2.jpg

bbking3.jpg

bbking4.jpg

bbking5.jpg

I knew he'd been in hospice care for at least the last couple of weeks.

From what I'd heard, he's been in poor health for a long while and his shows were extremely sad displays in recent years.

RIP one of the legends of music.

I knew he'd been in hospice care for at least the last couple of weeks.

From what I'd heard, he's been in poor health for a long while and his shows were extremely sad displays in recent years.

RIP one of the legends of music.

He had been very frail, and performed sitting down most of the last 10 years or so. I caught him in Vegas 7 or 8 years ago, and really enjoyed being able to see him.