How impressive is a perfect game in high school?

JunkD

Haven't been around high school baseball as much but wanted to know how impressive (or how often) a perfect game is in high school baseball.

Obviously more impressive with more innings, but are some teams that good and others that bad? Or does it still take an elite arm to do that?

I'd say its very very dependent. There are some pretty bad high school teams out there that it would be very easy for just a decent pitcher to pitch a perfect game against, toughest part would be making sure the pitcher didn't walk anyone.

Throw one against a pretty decent squad, now we are talking something.

There are some really bad teams out there. But I would say it does depend. You still need a decent team (or at least a team to play well behind you) that can make all the plays, and typically even great teams have at least one questionable fielder out there. And the fact that even with some dominating pitchers and some really bad teams, there are still very few perfect games thrown. If there is a run rule involved though, I would be less impressed.

I think the defensive side still makes most full length perfect games impressive. Yes, if you got a dominant pitcher you are more than halfway there, but a perfect game is still ruined by an error, and those can be plentiful in high school.

It depends on the level of competition. Few years ago I was talking to the parent of a local baseball player and we were discussing two different pitchers. I was impressed with ones record and disappointed with the other ones record as I expected him to be either the teams #1 or #2 pitcher. He said that the kid with the good record always pitched against the weakest teams in the area while the kid with the poorer record always drew the tougher assignment. Said dad of first kid was running his mouth about how good his kid was and that he should be the #1 or 2 pitcher. Coach found out and started him against a better team than he'd been pitching against and he didn't get passed the 2nd inning...it's all about the competition as to how impressive it is.

But a no-no or perfect game against any team is something to be proud of as a pitcher, it means you did your job the best that you could on that day.

A no hitter is a no hitter........However I know of a varsity no hitter that was thrown against a team that had middle school kids playing varsity on the losing team. To me that's not a great accomplishment. I was a 5 inning game.

A perfect game...nobody reaches base...is super impressive. It must be an official game that goes the full number of innings, in my opinion, to be called a "perfect game". Otherwise I would say the pitcher had a perfect game through (number of innings when it was called). But perfect is perfect....and perfect is always impressive

If it's a 7

No such thing as a 3 inning game - all KHSAA games must go 5 innings to be a complete game - or at least 4 1/2 if the loosing team was visiting team and had 5 official at bats.

my bad... the brain is always in softball mode.