Everything posted by dlunsford1
-
Drew Rom goes in 4th round
Definitely go pro...will sign above slot and get 4 yrs full scholarship
-
9th District Baseball Draw: Just Got Interesting w/ 4 Way Tie for #1 Seed
Gonna be a battle for sure. 4 very good teams. I couldn't begin to predict it. One thing is certain...2 quality and tested teams will be heading to the regional tournament. I wish them all well. Its been a "nice" year in Ohio Co. Glad the weather is warmer...feels like 90 degrees.
-
Blaine Gillim - LHP - Ohio County up to 90 and Rising
Unsure...hoping for the best. Whoever takes him will be getting a good one that projects very well. Kid has plenty of room for development physically. I like the fact that teams are looking for pitchers who are deceptive instead of just flame-throwers. Sure....gotta throw hard...gotta have quality breaking pitches. Just blasting gas at 94-95 will get you beat if you cant pitch. So...I dont know when, where, or with who.....we will see who wants him. There is certainly more than a little interest....
-
Blaine Gillim - LHP - Ohio County up to 90 and Rising
It would be huge news. Owensboro has beaten us twice...2 shutouts. So...Ohio Co is a cinderella at best. I love the new format of the state tournament on different weekends. Big difference from the old days. It sure allows for a much different pitching strategy. My best example would be Campbell Co...who got hot a couple years ago and almost clipped St X in the finals. One can dream about such things happening to a small community.
-
Blaine Gillim - LHP - Ohio County up to 90 and Rising
The kid is on a blistering pace---mound and at the plate for Ohio County High School this year. In terms of velocity, this lefty is on the rise since Tommy John surgery in August 2016. Finally healthy and strong, he broke the 90 barrier recently at a PG Showcase...officially. Unofficially, others have had him at 91-92. The breaking ball is sharp with depth at 76, and maybe his biggest improvement has been command and fastball movement. This kid is the real deal...and calm as they get on the bump. With a.79 ERA and averaging a little over 2Ks per inning (which have been purposefully kept at a low level), he is one of the best in the state by all accounts and evaluations from those who have seen him this yr. At the plate. he is among state stat leaders in batting average and slugging percentage. This LHH has got some bat speed though not recognized. The stands are filling up to see this kid and his team....Watch out for Ohio County! Might be surprised what they can do if they make it to Lexington.
-
Kentucky Power 25 Team Rankings by Prep Baseball Report for 4-16
Record and strength of schedule among other things are indicators. It certainly is difficult with so many teams. They do a nice job.
-
Dugout chatter.... when is it too much?
I don't mind a little bit of it....not a fan of chants or other nonsense. Umpires judgement as to when it crosses the line. Well-coached players can block it out easily.
-
Baseball, Softball Stat Leaders from the KHSAA
LOL. Honestly, I thought his stats were fairly noteworthy. I'm not seeing any other player in that many categories. It's early, and that pace would be tough for anyone to maintain. Let me know if you have a job opening though....haha.
-
Blaine Gillim of Ohio County On Fire in Senior Season--2018
In Top 10 offensively as well in batting average and slugging %. 19th in On-base %. Mr. Baseball numbers!!!
-
Baseball, Softball Stat Leaders from the KHSAA
Awesome... Check out the Blaine Gillim kid....on several categories of hitting and Strikeouts. On fire so far!
-
Blaine Gillim of Ohio County On Fire in Senior Season--2018
Update on Blaine Gillim ...22 2/3 innings with 47 Ks, 7 walks. This kid is in the zone. And, he is hitting .520. This kid is locked and loaded...
-
Blaine Gillim of Ohio County On Fire in Senior Season--2018
In the young 2018 season, Blaine Gillim of the 3rd Region's Ohio County Eagles is making a big statement. That statement is he is healthy and ready to compete at a high level. Having been sidelined all of last year's high school season recovering from UCL surgery, there are always questions and concerns about the success and rehabilitation from such a serious surgery. It was a success thanks to the talents of Dr. Timothy Kremchek in Cincinnati and all of the hard work with excellent therapists and coaches. The results last summer & fall were tremendous, but this spring it appears he continues to get stronger and better in all aspects. With a totally healthy arm and enhanced strength, conditioning, and mechanics, Gillim is putting up some ridiculous number thus far. In 3 outings, he has accumulated 13 2/3 innings racking up 33 strikeouts against only 6 walks. Last night, he had 14K through 5 innings, and even with a chance to tie the most strikeouts in a single game in the history of the KHSAA, pitch count and doctors orders prevailed at the end of the 5th. Aside from a excellent fastball that has upper 80s juice and movement, the kid has developed other pitches along the way to add to his arsenal. There is hope to integrate a cut fastball and change-up more often and with confidence in the future. Its a never-ending process as true baseball people know. The expectations are always extremely high for a pitcher like Gillim, however, the young man handles that pressure and the game with confidence, humbleness, and fierce competitiveness. Feeling strong and totally healthy for the first time in few years, despite putting up great numbers in those years not only for Ohio County but the Scorpions (in Florida), he strives to improve with steady work ethic on a daily basis. Looking forward to what the future holds for the young man and so many others in the 3rd Region.....and throughout the great state of Kentucky. Best of luck to everyone this season. Take care.
-
Kentucky Baseball Rankings from the KHSBCA for 3-27
Rankings are fun.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
I was surprised to see Haire go that many pitches this early, but then again, I have no doubt he was prepared to handle it. Great kid, and I know he competes and works hard. Like I said, I saw a good team that turned a couple doudle plays and hit with runners in scoring position. We will play better and adjust. Great thing about these games....it's about developing and achieving at a higher level. Look forward to the next one. Gonna be a fun year for you guys....I believe you guys will win a bunch.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
Our defense struggled and didn't hit at all, but I give the credit to Haire...did a great job on the mound. Stroked a double to left too. I like this Owensboro team alot....I expect we will play better....don't want to be too critical early but it's also not an excuse. Owensboro was flat out the better team all around
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
I liked Owensboro's hitters....especially how lefties handled outside pitches and Haire was awesome. Kiddos....gonna be a team to reckon with no doubt. They had no trouble with Ohio Co at all.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
I like your analysis and order. When I look at the teams in the region that I have some knowledge, I see pluses on every team. Take Hancock County....better watch out for White and Singleton among others. Plus, HC is well-coached. They are my pick as the "sleeper" team. I have no knowledge of Meade, but I'm sure they will be good....always are. Butler, Grayson, Edmonson...I have no clue. So, who will be there at the end is a mystery to me, and that's why we love the game of baseball. Great thread! Thanks fellas...
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
Absolutely correct. Coach Mantooth is premiere, and his program is proven to develop players. That's why they are very competitive every single year. Love watching him work, and always enjoy competing against them. You always know that you have to play very good baseball to win against Apollo on any day.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
I expect Owensboro will get to see Gillim on Thursday. Owensboro is a very, very good team, and they can hit. It's early, and pitching is always ahead of hitting at this point in the year. I don't know about the Breck kid, but I have heard good things. I will believe it when I see it....What I know about Gillim is that he has developed from a thrower into a pitcher who will not try to throw out of his shoes to light up the gun. His velocity will be upper 80s when he wants it to be. His breaking pitches and change are more developed and wont be used on every hitter just to get strikeouts. Smart pitching and mechanics have been the focus since he began his rehab from Tommy John. Everyone will have their hands full on that kid....but for Ohio County it's all about team, and they are young but very good. By the end of the year, they have a chance to be a team that can head to Lexington....a chance.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
Eagle3 says a player is a player. Wow! Many variables separate equally skilled players... Coaching, mentality, experience, etc, etc. Not everyone who can play well does when challenged at a high level. And Apollo...solid every year....proven.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
Ohio County is young but pretty good. We have already discussed Blaine who is the most talented pitcher in the region without question....mature and experienced....and getting invitations to pre-draft workouts. I hope to see the kid from Breck...sounds like a good one, but experience and maturity in big games....he definitely doesn't have. That will have an effect. It all going to be fun to watch.
-
3rd Region Baseball: Who's the favorites?
Too close to call. It's going to be very competitive and whoever is hot come tournament time. Quality teams and players throughout ...we will see who wants it the most and executes.
-
Blaine Gillim with Twins Scout Team/Scorpions
That's a bizarre question....haha.
-
Blaine Gillim with Twins Scout Team/Scorpions
I very much respect that Owensboro program, coaches, and players. They will be a very good team this year. They were last year too. Ohio County would not be the favorite against them. As I said, I think Ohio County is young and unproven as a team. Owensboro would be worthy of anyone's ace. I look forward to watching these teams compete....many friends on both sides of that one and throughout the region. I think it's wide open as to who wins it. I don't see an overall favorite.
-
Blaine Gillim with Twins Scout Team/Scorpions
Blaine pitched in the Regional semifinal as a 7th grader....and held powerhouse Apollo scoreless for 4 innings....This will be his 6th varsity season. No high school state titles....best Ohio Co have done is final 8. They lost to Campbell Co in Lexington in 2016....with Blaine on the mound 5-2 I think. Campbell Co went on to lose in the championship 1-0 against St. X. I'm sure his main goal is to get another chance in Lexington before moving to the next level. MLB draft possibilities (will all depend on the spring and how the professional scouts see it....unlikely but you never know....but if he gets the chance he will most likely be signable). If not, at Sante Fe and beyond.....He will need to work even harder if he wants to keep moving up. See...there you go...no buildup there.