Recruiting Rankings

HT721

I don't give the star rating as much attention in football as basketball. I think much has to do with who is recruiting a player. My son and I were talking the other day and he was talking about a kid that went to his old high school. The kid is 6'2" 215 runs a 4.5 forty and plays outside linebacker. I asked how many stars he was and he said 4. I asked him to look up Ridge Wilson same height, weight, speed and position with more tackles and a state championship he's rated 2 stars. UK's after Wilson and Alabama after the other kid. I used to live in Alabama and played sandlot ball with some all county players from there and guess what. They weren't any better than I was.

• 2 weeks later...
If you go to a Scout.com camp or a Rivals.com camp you get ranked. Give me a kid who produces on the football field. Both are a joke.

That's not how it goes......there is actually more to it, but I am kind of in your corner in that I think WAY WAY too much weight is put into the star ratings...

I don't think Scout, Rivals, or Billy Bob have a clue about players. It is all based on word of mouth. There is no way that the get a chance to see every kid play across the country.

I have seen to many 5 stars that spend four years in college and don't live up to 5 star. I have also seen walk-ons that end up being All- Conference.

That's not how it goes......there is actually more to it, but I am kind of in your corner in that I think WAY WAY too much weight is put into the star ratings...

They put too much into 40 times, vertical leaps, and drills. Lots of kids can run 4.4, jump real high and look great during drills. Some kids even get offered off the above mentioned. But here is the problem, they can't make a play on the football field. Year in year out kids get offers off Numbers 6'6"-6'7" look great but can't make a play when the lights are on.

We ended up for 2008 in the top three in all the services, and due to the help of the incoming freshmen we had an outstanding year. Right now we are about the same place as last year and it could be a better year if it goes the way we think.

I think Bama just picked up a commitment from a FL kid - DL maybe.

I don't put much stock in football rankings and I work for Rivals. :lol:

Basketball is usually done with a great deal of accuracy, but for football it's almost impossible...

:thumb:

I agree. Too many kids to rate and it's hard to say how a kid will develop once they hit the collegiate ranks. It seems that many 2 & 3 star kids end up being better than many higher ranked players, often because of their heart which can't be measured.

I thought I heard on the radio the other day that UC's class that took them to the Orange Bowl this past season was ranked "third-to-last" among all BCS schools back when they were recruited. Can someone (GT - hint, hint) verify if this is correct?