Sweet 16 Teams With Losing Records

Shelby Valley returns to the Sweet 16 this year with a 13-17 record. I know there have been others to have losing records. Rowan Co. and Scott Co. in the 1980's went with losing records. Does anyone know of any others? Also, what's the worst record ever for a Sweet 16 team?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercer County is the last team with a losing record to make the Sweet 16. They were 15-17 in 2000. Finished 15-18.

Oldham County was 16-16 in 1989 and lost in the first round.

Rowan County was 15-16 in 1987 and lost in the first round.

The last team with a losing record to win a first round game was Scott County over NCC in 1984. Scott County finished 14-17 with a second round loss.

I can't find where a 17-loss team has made the Sweet 16.

Another question, how many of these teams with losing records have won the first round game? It's like a #1 seed in the NCAA drawing a #16. Honestly, there's no reason for a 13-17 team being in the state tournament. I'm not bashing or anything, but really, is a team with a losing record one of the best 16 in the state? Don't happen in other states but I guess this is what makes KY basketball special.

Mercer County is the last team with a losing record to make the Sweet 16. They were 15-17 in 2000. Finished 15-18.

Oldham County was 16-16 in 1989 and lost in the first round.

Rowan County was 15-16 in 1987 and lost in the first round.

The last team with a losing record to win a first round game was Scott County over NCC in 1984. Scott County finished 14-17 with a second round loss.

I can't find where a 17-loss team has made the Sweet 16.

I believe NCC was ranked either #1 or #2 at the time.

Another question, how many of these teams with losing records have won the first round game? It's like a #1 seed in the NCAA drawing a #16. Honestly, there's no reason for a 13-17 team being in the state tournament. I'm not bashing or anything, but really, is a team with a losing record one of the best 16 in the state? Don't happen in other states but I guess this is what makes KY basketball special.

The Sweet 16 is never the best sixteen teams in the state.

The Sweet 16 never claims to have the best 16 teams. Only the best teams from "16 regions". Every region gets to offer their champion to the Sweet 16 to contend for the title. And - over the course of a long basketball season - sometimes the best team in a region takes a lot of early losses...particularly if they have early injuries. It's all about how you end your season...and sometimes, the best team in the region at the end of the year was pretty pedestrian early in the year...

When's the last time a Sweet 16 had the top 16 teams in the state? Answer is 'Never'. With a large portion of the top teams in the state being from Louisville and Lexington, you will never have teams 1 through 16 in the Sweet 16. Personally, I feel that's what makes the Sweet 16 so sweet. You should no doubt have some of the best teams in the state there, but it's also exciting to see what Cinderella has to say when she shows up to the dance. Having Shelby Valley return makes for a great story anyhow. What a success story since last year they were the cream of the crop and this year shaky at best, and still pulled it together to get it done! Amazing that they are still around to try to defend their title. Post season is all about survive and advance no matter how your season went.

The Sweet 16 never claims to have the best 16 teams. Only the best teams from "16 regions". Every region gets to offer their champion to the Sweet 16 to contend for the title. And - over the course of a long basketball season - sometimes the best team in a region takes a lot of early losses...particularly if they have early injuries. It's all about how you end your season...and sometimes, the best team in the region at the end of the year was pretty pedestrian early in the year...

Nothing against Shelby Valley, but are they the best team in the 15th Region? Like I just said, I have absolutely nothing against Shelby Valley, I just dislike the current Sweet Sixteen format.