Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sweet 16 Teams With Losing Records

Featured Replies

Shelby Valley returns to the Sweet 16 this year with a 13-17 record. I know there have been others to have losing records. Rowan Co. and Scott Co. in the 1980's went with losing records. Does anyone know of any others? Also, what's the worst record ever for a Sweet 16 team?

  • Replies 45
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercer County in 2000 was 15-17. I think this years SV team is the worst ever if I'm not mistaken.

  • Author

Just goes to show no matter the record if you get hot at the right time anything can happen. You got to love March Madness!!!!

I may be wrong, but I can remember quite a few years ago that a team went with 12 wins. I thought it was Franklin Simpson. Again, I may be wrong.

I may be wrong, but I can remember quite a few years ago that a team went with 12 wins. I thought it was Franklin Simpson. Again, I may be wrong.

 

I remember that too... lemme do some research.

Actually I looked it up and I was wrong. However, and this may not be considered modern day. Lebanon Junction in 1931 went the state tourney with 8 wins 9 losses. They lost the region final, but in those days both teams went to the tourney.

I believe your talking about Franklin-Simpson in 1992..

Mercer County is the last team with a losing record to make the Sweet 16. They were 15-17 in 2000. Finished 15-18.

 

Oldham County was 16-16 in 1989 and lost in the first round.

 

Rowan County was 15-16 in 1987 and lost in the first round.

 

The last team with a losing record to win a first round game was Scott County over NCC in 1984. Scott County finished 14-17 with a second round loss.

 

I can't find where a 17-loss team has made the Sweet 16.

I believe your talking about Franklin-Simpson in 1992..

 

That is what I remembered, but they had a 19-12 record. I must have thought it was odd that a team with 12 losses made the tourney.

Another question, how many of these teams with losing records have won the first round game? It's like a #1 seed in the NCAA drawing a #16. Honestly, there's no reason for a 13-17 team being in the state tournament. I'm not bashing or anything, but really, is a team with a losing record one of the best 16 in the state? Don't happen in other states but I guess this is what makes KY basketball special.

Mercer County is the last team with a losing record to make the Sweet 16. They were 15-17 in 2000. Finished 15-18.

 

Oldham County was 16-16 in 1989 and lost in the first round.

 

Rowan County was 15-16 in 1987 and lost in the first round.

 

The last team with a losing record to win a first round game was Scott County over NCC in 1984. Scott County finished 14-17 with a second round loss.

 

I can't find where a 17-loss team has made the Sweet 16.

 

I believe NCC was ranked either #1 or #2 at the time.

Another question, how many of these teams with losing records have won the first round game? It's like a #1 seed in the NCAA drawing a #16. Honestly, there's no reason for a 13-17 team being in the state tournament. I'm not bashing or anything, but really, is a team with a losing record one of the best 16 in the state? Don't happen in other states but I guess this is what makes KY basketball special.

 

The Sweet 16 is never the best sixteen teams in the state.

Another question, how many of these teams with losing records have won the first round game? It's like a #1 seed in the NCAA drawing a #16. Honestly, there's no reason for a 13-17 team being in the state tournament. I'm not bashing or anything, but really, is a team with a losing record one of the best 16 in the state? Don't happen in other states but I guess this is what makes KY basketball special.

 

The Sweet 16 never claims to have the best 16 teams. Only the best teams from "16 regions". Every region gets to offer their champion to the Sweet 16 to contend for the title. And - over the course of a long basketball season - sometimes the best team in a region takes a lot of early losses...particularly if they have early injuries. It's all about how you end your season...and sometimes, the best team in the region at the end of the year was pretty pedestrian early in the year...

Another question, how many of these teams with losing records have won the first round game? It's like a #1 seed in the NCAA drawing a #16. Honestly, there's no reason for a 13-17 team being in the state tournament. I'm not bashing or anything, but really, is a team with a losing record one of the best 16 in the state? Don't happen in other states but I guess this is what makes KY basketball special.

 

When's the last time a Sweet 16 had the top 16 teams in the state? Answer is 'Never'. With a large portion of the top teams in the state being from Louisville and Lexington, you will never have teams 1 through 16 in the Sweet 16. Personally, I feel that's what makes the Sweet 16 so sweet. You should no doubt have some of the best teams in the state there, but it's also exciting to see what Cinderella has to say when she shows up to the dance. Having Shelby Valley return makes for a great story anyhow. What a success story since last year they were the cream of the crop and this year shaky at best, and still pulled it together to get it done! Amazing that they are still around to try to defend their title. Post season is all about survive and advance no matter how your season went.

The Sweet 16 never claims to have the best 16 teams. Only the best teams from "16 regions". Every region gets to offer their champion to the Sweet 16 to contend for the title. And - over the course of a long basketball season - sometimes the best team in a region takes a lot of early losses...particularly if they have early injuries. It's all about how you end your season...and sometimes, the best team in the region at the end of the year was pretty pedestrian early in the year...

 

Nothing against Shelby Valley, but are they the best team in the 15th Region? Like I just said, I have absolutely nothing against Shelby Valley, I just dislike the current Sweet Sixteen format.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.