Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sweet 16 Teams With Losing Records

Featured Replies

Less than half the teams in the NCAA tournament got their bid by winning their conference tournament. The rest get there based on their season performance. I would guarantee that every top twenty team that does not win their conference tournament will be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Example....If KY does not win the SEC Tournament, they will still be playing in the NCAA Tournament in a couple weeks.

 

There are at least 6 of the top 10 teams in the state not playing in the Sweet 16 but a team with a losing record and probably wasn't ranked in the top 75 teams in the state is playing. Once again, not knocking Shelby Valley, they won their region and they won the right to be there. I just don't like the current format.

 

I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.

 

The very thing that makes them so good is why they aren't there. Those schools are in talent hotbeds like Louisville and Lexington. They reap the benefits of much larger populations and talent. It's only right they take the bad as well that they have to go through other top teams.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.

 

When did they not get to participate for a state championship? The entire postseason is working toward a state championship. They had to finish in the top two in the district and then win the region. How many more chances should they get?

Less than half the teams in the NCAA tournament got their bid by winning their conference tournament. The rest get there based on their season performance. I would guarantee that every top twenty team that does not win their conference tournament will be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Example....If KY does not win the SEC Tournament, they will still be playing in the NCAA Tournament in a couple weeks.

 

There are at least 6 of the top 10 teams in the state not playing in the Sweet 16 but a team with a losing record and probably wasn't ranked in the top 75 teams in the state is playing. Once again, not knocking Shelby Valley, they won their region and they won the right to be there. I just don't like the current format.

 

I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.

 

FC, I'm glad you said Top 20 instead of Top 25. I believe it was in 2004, that Utah State finished ranked in the Top 25 and did not make the NCAA tournament after losing in their conference tournament. They had a record of 25-3.

When did they not get to participate for a state championship? The entire postseason is working toward a state championship. They had to finish in the top two in the district and then win the region. How many more chances should they get?

 

Only one can come out of a region. How many top 20 teams are in the 7th and 11th? I'll answer that.....At least 10, and actually there are 8 in the top 11! No matter how good or bad these teams play only 2 go to the Sweet Sixteen. I just think if you are going to have a state championship tournament, you should have the best teams in the state playing in it.

 

With the current format, 7 of the top 11 teams in the state ARE NOT playing in the Sweet Sixteen!

also...

With the current format, only 6 of the top 20 teams in the state ARE playing in the Sweet Sixteen!

I just think if you are going to have a state championship tournament, you should have the best teams in the state playing in it.
They all played in it. Only some of them are still alive, though.
Less than half the teams in the NCAA tournament got their bid by winning their conference tournament. The rest get there based on their season performance. I would guarantee that every top twenty team that does not win their conference tournament will be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Example....If KY does not win the SEC Tournament, they will still be playing in the NCAA Tournament in a couple weeks.

 

There are at least 6 of the top 10 teams in the state not playing in the Sweet 16 but a team with a losing record and probably wasn't ranked in the top 75 teams in the state is playing. Once again, not knocking Shelby Valley, they won their region and they won the right to be there. I just don't like the current format.

 

I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.

 

They participated but they didn't make it to the sweet 16.

They all played in it. Only some of them are still alive, though.

 

They participated but they didn't make it to the sweet 16.

 

Not even going to comment!

Not even going to comment!

 

Got to beat the best teams sometime. It may be in the districts, regionals or state.

 

No system is perfect but everybody has a shot to win it.

Not even going to comment!
I'm not saying the system is equitable, but all of the teams that won't play in Rupp Arena next week that you are referring to had a chance they make it there. For various reasons, they came up short.

Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

 

Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They didn't win their conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

 

Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

 

I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO

Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

 

Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They don't win the conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

 

Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

 

I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO

 

Perhaps the high school teams you weep for should think of the district/region like the NCAA tournament, instead of you thinking of the Sweet 16 as though it's the NCAA tournament.

Perhaps the high school teams you weep for should think of the district/region like the NCAA tournament, instead of you thinking of the Sweet 16 as though it's the NCAA tournament.

 

Very good point. The NCAA has a Sweet 16. the best teams are no always there but they had a chance to be just like every HS team has a chance to get there.

Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

 

Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They didn't win their conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

 

Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

 

I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO

 

More like 10-11.

Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

 

Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They didn't win their conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

 

Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

 

I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO

We know exactly what you're saying ... I would like to see more of the best teams in the Sweet 16 myself. Being from the western edge of the state, I don't get to see many of them during the season.

 

We are simply noting that they had a chance to make it to Rupp just like everyone else did.

I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO

 

Playing for the state tournament starts with district and region, so every team in the state gets to play for the state championship trophy...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.