Crossfit

stick1

The best WODs aren't the ones on the main site IMO. A lot of those getting hurt are the ones who don't get technique down first. If you try to do CF without any knowledge of the lifts and/or using the prescribed weights in the WODs you are asking for trouble. Get your form with the PVC pipes, and way less weight and work toward more weights. If you dive into CF with no coaching or knowledge of weights you are asking for trouble. Educating yourself is key.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main issue with Crossfit trainers is how easy it is to get a level one cert. That isn't to say all level one trainers are bad, as matter of fact most are really good. But if you join a gym you need to make sure the trainers/coaches know what the heck their doing.

I got through 54 seconds of the video JCVD posted and had to stop watching. The trainers at Crossfit New Albany need to be smacked.

I constantly get called out for my form on front and overhead squats :lol:
I really struggle with front squats and as of right now I can't do overhead squats. I've only tried a few times but it would take a lot of work for me to get there. They aren't part of my current work outs so I haven't put in the time to improve. My shoulder flexibility is awful. My front squats are getting better though. My biggest issue there is lack of tricep and wrist flexibility.

There are plenty of examples of people just doing regular weights that get hurt due to stupidity or lack of education. Without knowing how to workout, then yes you can get hurt. Sure there are Crossfit coaches who don't really care if you're doing it right, just like ordinary personal trainers. But to make a blanket statement that crossfit itself is flawed is absurd.

I was not saying Crossfit and everything about Crossfit was flawed. I said the programming was flawed. Then again, nobody has a perfect program. My programming is flawed, your programming has places it could be better...same with Olympians, Powerlifters, Bodybuilders, etc.

Becoming evening somewhat proficient in the Olympic lifts (Clean and Jerk & Snatch) is something that takes a LONG time when properly taught. I'm happy people are getting off the cable crossovers and starting to do things that will not only make them look better, but also make them STRONGER, more mobile and overall healthier but a lot of the way it is being taught is not correct.

Some of the blame can fall on the trainers/coaches but some of it has to fall on the athlete/crossfitter/gym-goer. I don't think it is in our nature to want to learn the different phases of the clean or snatch, squat/front squat when we could just jump in and learn on the fly because we would feel like we aren't getting a solid workout in. Crossfit has it's place, but there are some things that could be done to improve IMO.

Same here. I can't rest the bar on my fingertips for a front squat, so I rest the bar on my biceps/bend of my elbow and wrap my arms around the bar. I can only use PVC for overhead cause my hips hurt and my balance is not so good. I dropped the bar on my head the first time I tried. I can't do the jerks at all. I can't do muscle ups or ring dips either.

I really struggle with front squats and as of right now I can't do overhead squats. I've only tried a few times but it would take a lot of work for me to get there. They aren't part of my current work outs so I haven't put in the time to improve. My shoulder flexibility is awful. My front squats are getting better though. My biggest issue there is lack of tricep and wrist flexibility.

Just cause they aren't part of your program doesn't mean you can't do things to help improve them. Try adding some shoulder mobility work in b/t set of core. Shoulder mobility work can be done in 5min. Scapular retractions, shoulder dislocates with a dowel rod, internal/external rotation stretch with the dowel rod. PM me and I can get you some info on them. Simple stuff.

Tried straps with the front squats? That helps a lot of people who have trouble getting to the rack position due to their wrists.

Same here. I can't rest the bar on my fingertips for a front squat, so I rest the bar on my biceps/bend of my elbow and wrap my arms around the bar. I can only use PVC for overhead cause my hips hurt and my balance is not so good. I dropped the bar on my head the first time I tried. I can't do the jerks at all. I can't do muscle ups or ring dips either.

Muscle-ups are pretty sick if you can do them without the kip.

When I first started doing front squats I used a cross over/hand on top of the bar grip (if that makes sense). Now after warming up I get in a pretty good rack position with at least my first three fingers under the bar. It's definitely getting better. Lot's of wrist/forearm /tricep mobility work.

Just cause they aren't part of your program doesn't mean you can't do things to help improve them. Try adding some shoulder mobility work in b/t set of core. Shoulder mobility work can be done in 5min. Scapular retractions, shoulder dislocates with a dowel rod, internal/external rotation stretch with the dowel rod. PM me and I can get you some info on them. Simple stuff.

Tried straps with the front squats? That helps a lot of people who have trouble getting to the rack position due to their wrists.

To be honest most days I don't have time to work on much extra. I have about an hour in the morning to get everything done. Wednesday's are usually my off days and I plan starting to use it for skill work. Overhead work is one of the things I plan on targeting. If for nothing else just to work on my shoulder and hip flexibility. I try to do mobility work all the time. I would highly recommend Kelly Starrett's site http://www.mobilitywod.com. Kelly has a great stuff on there.

Muscle-ups are pretty sick if you can do them without the kip.

Yea I sub 3 dips and 3 pull ups for 1 muscle up.
I've never tried one on rings, almost got one on a bar but couldn't quit get over the hump. It may have helped if I hand an actual bar, was trying it on the cross beam of a cable crossover machine. The gym I go to didn't have an actual pull up bar.

I've never tried one on rings, almost got one on a bar but couldn't quit get over the hump. It may have helped if I hand an actual bar, was trying it on the cross beam of a cable crossover machine. The gym I go to didn't have an actual pull up bar.

mobilitywod.com is a great site.

Something that helped a friend of mine with muscle-ups was using a band. He would string the band around the beam that the bar was attached to and just focus on being explosive from the bottom position. He was already very good at strict deadhang pull-ups. After doing this for a week or so he has been able to pop out the muscle-ups pretty consistently. He now uses the bands as part of his warmups on vertical pulling days.

I can get a couple with bands but I look goofy :lol: