Crossfit

stick1

Anybody done crossfit training? How did/do you like it? What did it take to get started? I'm not talking about the Crossfit Gym because it's too far to drive but wondering if people have done the ones from the website etc?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To follow the main site work outs you will either have to join a crossfit affiliate or spend about $800-$1000 to equip a home gym. If your serious about it join the affiliate even if only for a couple of months. If your local affiliate is worth a darn the training you get is worth the cost of the membership. Once your comfortable with the olympic lifts you can always build a home gym.

I'm pretty strong. Cardio is not what it used to be. Blood pressure started getting up. Need to loose about 4-6 inches in my gut more than anything else. Problem with the gym is the closest one is probably 45 min away.

I'm pretty strong. Cardio is not what it used to be. Blood pressure started getting up. Need to loose about 4-6 inches in my gut more than anything else. Problem with the gym is the closest one is probably 45 min away.

Then you need to do met con workouts. You could get by with a couple medicine balls, couple of kettle bells, pull up bar, Olympic bar, 2-10 lb,2 -25 lb, and 2-45 lb bumper plates.

What's met con? I'm a member of our local gym so I have some stuff there. I also have a good bit of equipment at home. I'm about 6ft 220. Need to drop about 15lbs to be in outstanding shape. Only 37 but BP is up for some reason. To much stress in my life work etc. Eat out too much w this job but really excited I've caught it early+ realized some changes I have to make. Probably bench around 260ish but cardio is down some.

What's met con? I'm a member of our local gym so I have some stuff there. I also have a good bit of equipment at home. I'm about 6ft 220. Need to drop about 15lbs to be in outstanding shape. Only 37 but BP is up for some reason. To much stress in my life work etc. Eat out too much w this job but really excited I've caught it early+ realized some changes I have to make. Probably bench around 260ish but cardio is down some.
Metabolic Conditioning.

Here ya go big guy! And the ones that you look at and say "that doesn't look too bad" typically wind up being the ones that make you vomit :lol:

http://board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5806&d=1265947023

The programming behind crossfit is extremely flawed. My main gripe with most crossfit type workouts is the lack of actual coaching that goes on. It seems to be more of a "get the weight up, I don't care what it looks like" type of thing. At maximal levels, form is going to break down. But there is a difference between form breaking down and putting yourself at risk for injury.

I'm going to try and post a video from a Crossfit in Albany, NY that a friend who lives up there sent me. This will be my first video posting on this site, hope it works.

[video=youtube_share;BDDyxXyf6UU]http://youtu.be/BDDyxXyf6UU

This is an example of how not to do a clean and jerk. It is a good example of how to potentially kill yourself however.

There are plenty of examples of people just doing regular weights that get hurt due to stupidity or lack of education. Without knowing how to workout, then yes you can get hurt. Sure there are Crossfit coaches who don't really care if you're doing it right, just like ordinary personal trainers. But to make a blanket statement that crossfit itself is flawed is absurd.

There are plenty of examples of people just doing regular weights that get hurt due to stupidity or lack of education. Without knowing how to workout, then yes you can get hurt. Sure there are Crossfit coaches who don't really care if you're doing it right, just like ordinary personal trainers. But to make a blanket statement that crossfit itself is flawed is absurd.

He makes a good point about the trainers, just due to the complexity of a lot of the lifts that Crossfit are based around. Personal trainers at Urban Active may be substandard, but most of the time, the excercises that they use for newbies are machine based. At worst, they are lower impact barbell work. The issue w/ Crossfit, and I'm in no way saying that this is every box, is that if you do have a bad trainer, you are really going to get messed up. The Olympic lifts require serious coordination, and can really increase the risk of injury if done improperly. The chance for injury increases as you lose coordination due to exhaustion.

Additionally, the fact that many of the affiliate's sites post pictures of busted shins from deadlifts or failed box jumps, or hands bleeding from overuse, makes me feel that safety is not at a premium at HQ.

I just don't like that the programming doesn't seem to be leading anywhere. Most of the guys that competed at a high level at regionals, or in the Games, didn't use Crossfit's WODs. They designed their own to ensure that they were building and strengthening certain areas that they were lacking in. Specializing if you will, and that is against the core of HQ. I like Crossfit, I just like how the competitors use it. It seems to make much more sense.