KHSAA Where are you?!!!!

sportsfan41

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empirical data(using personal parameters).

GIVEN: A close game is one within two scores; a competitive game is one within 3 scores; a blowout is more than 3 scores

Round 1: 59 blowouts(61%); 12 competitive(13%); 25 close games(26%)=39% of games were competitive.

Round 2: 26 blowouts(54%); 6 competitive(12%); 16 close games(33%)=45% of games were competitive.

Round 3: 11 blowouts(46%); 3 competitive(13%); 10 close games(42%)=55% of games were competitive.

Round 4: TO BE DETERMINED

Round 5: TO BE DETERMINED

State Championships with only 4 Classes from 1998-2006(9 years)

13 blowouts(36%); 8 competitive(22%); 15 close games(42%)=64% of championship games were competitive.

data compiled from KHSAA website.

I think the scores are the result of the state of Ky football right now. There are the haves and the have-nots, and the gulf between them is wide.

And then there's Trinity and Highlands.

I think everyone has foggy memories. If we go back and check scores, we would see that a large majority of playoff games including title games and state semifinal games are not close games. My guess is less than 1 of 4 playoff games from the semis on are games with a final score 14 points or less. And I am saying go back as far as you want historically. If scratch43 can add in the semi-finals, I think those numbers change a lot. Add in the rounds before that and they get close to where we are right now.

Did go back to KHSAA and did all championship games listed since 1959.

46 blowouts(23%); 39 competitive(20%); 114 close games(57%)

4A started in 1975 if that matters to anyone. Didn't count the forfeit game in 3A forget what year but near 1960.

Since 6 delineations started; Highlands won all four 5A state championships and Trinity won 3 of 4 6A state championships.

Voice of Reason, here's your semi-final scores since 1998.

42 blowouts(37%) over 24 points/3 scores; 24 competitive(21%)24-17 points/within 3 scores; 49 close games(43%)16-2 point games/within 2 scores.

So 64% of games were 'competitive' on this scale and 43% were 'close games' on this scale.

If I had to do it all again...AND I'M NOT GOING TO(lol)...I'd list close games as within one score and competitives between two and three scores.

The last stat that makes me curious is how many of all of these blowout games involved Trinity and Highlands. I point them out because it seems to me that the Six Class System has washed them out as the dominant teams that are ruining parity in KY High School Football. We could probably add St.X, Beechwood, New Cath, Mayfield, Danville and some other traditional powerhouses but I'll leave that for another day. We could probably use a similar scale to compare Publics and Privates. I'll leave that issue for someone else to play with.

You really think the kids think about a long trip when they are going to play a game. Don't kid yourself. My son was on the Mayfield team that got beat by NCC 40 something to 7. Not once did he say anything about going 3 1/2 hours to get beat. He just wanted to play ball.

The adults wanting it different are selfish and don't have a clue what kids are thinking. If a football team has players who don't want to travel because they will get beat then they should kick those kids off the team and play with the kids who want to be there. You disrespect those kids who suit up and play their hearts out knowing that they are the underdogs. Win or lose I wanted to be on that field, no matter what.

Trinity just has destroyed all of their teams in Kentucky, and it doesn't look any better next year, look at the scores even against St X, how long will this go on? Isn't Oak Hills a national prep school for basketball, why doesn't the Rocks go national Prep school and dorm the players and play who ever they want? The scores do not lie. We just cannot keep up and its a joke, sorry my buds from Trinity this isn't a knock, its just they are too good and its time to move on.

Go to a prep status and I'll pull for you and even get me a Rocks cap.

You really think the kids think about a long trip when they are going to play a game. Don't kid yourself. My son was on the Mayfield team that got beat by NCC 40 something to 7. Not once did he say anything about going 3 1/2 hours to get beat. He just wanted to play ball.

The adults wanting it different are selfish and don't have a clue what kids are thinking. If a football team has players who don't want to travel because they will get beat then they should kick those kids off the team and play with the kids who want to be there. You disrespect those kids who suit up and play their hearts out knowing that they are the underdogs. Win or lose I wanted to be on that field, no matter what.

I have said it before, the worst part of high school sports is that adults are involved. They can suck the enjoyment out of most any experience.

Trinity just has destroyed all of their teams in Kentucky, and it doesn't look any better next year, look at the scores even against St X, how long will this go on? Isn't Oak Hills a national prep school for basketball, why doesn't the Rocks go national Prep school and dorm the players and play who ever they want? The scores do not lie. We just cannot keep up and its a joke, sorry my buds from Trinity this isn't a knock, its just they are too good and its time to move on.

Go to a prep status and I'll pull for you and even get me a Rocks cap.

No Larry, you have it all wrong. Don't you know you just have to work harder. At least thats what I have been reading on here for a couple years now.

You hope we can teach kids to try and overcome all obstacles no matter how great they seem. Isn't this a great life lesson taught to us by sports and football. What message do we send when we tell them you have no shot so we aren't going to play these games anymore. I tell you I'm rooting for Boone County, 4 seed, just as I did SK, 4 seed, the year they went to the finals. Perhaps, there are a lot of really good football teams and a few exceptional ones that overshadow the others so much that the picture becomes clouded. It's not about the destination, it's about the jouney and what you learn along the way.