KHSAA: Lexington Catholic lacks 'institutional control'

Jesse James

Simply LC was giving money to athletes that other students were not privvy to, and these people happen to be athletes.

Financial aid was given to a student entering LC that had a unbelieveably terrible academic record. Yet he recieved aid.

WRONG.

Two other students were awarded financial aid from this fund, the letter said, but were not athletes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding??? Nothing short of disbanding the team and forcing the players, coaches, macsot and concession vendors to transfer to a school designated by a vote of all KHSAA members would satisfy them. Also, LexCath would have to sign an avidavit guarenteeing that they would never attempt to play football again.

When the investigation into LC was completed back in the summer, I was struck by their principal's quote in the LHL that (I'm paraphrasing) "It's nice to be exonerated by the KHSAA and have them tell you that you're doing things the right way." (Please feel free to correct that if the gist is wrong.)

Now we know that there was a situation that was going on at LC where they get severely punished. Rules were being broken. Either A) the principal had no idea what was going on, B) did know what was going on but told the LHL with a straight face that it's nice to know you're doing things right, or C) knew it was going on but didn't know enough about KHSAA bylaws to know it was unethical. Which is worse I'm not sure.

But the topper is that the legions of private supporters here swear that, even though LC got caught, this kind of thing doesn't, or can't, happen at their place. And expect that to be the end of the story. Just can't understand why the public schools are not happy.

By the way, I noticed that a few days ago LC was given some editorial room in the LHL to expound upon their mission. Just wondering when I can expect to read about the missions of dozens of other schools in Central Ky.

When the investigation into LC was completed back in the summer, I was struck by their principal's quote in the LHL that (I'm paraphrasing) "It's nice to be exonerated by the KHSAA and have them tell you that you're doing things the right way." (Please feel free to correct that if the gist is wrong.)

Now we know that there was a situation that was going on at LC where they get severely punished. Rules were being broken. Either A) the principal had no idea what was going on, B) did know what was going on but told the LHL with a straight face that it's nice to know you're doing things right, or C) knew it was going on but didn't know enough about KHSAA bylaws to know it was unethical. Which is worse I'm not sure.

But the topper is that the legions of private supporters here swear that, even though LC got caught, this kind of thing doesn't, or can't, happen at their place. And expect that to be the end of the story. Just can't understand why the public schools are not happy.

By the way, I noticed that a few days ago LC was given some editorial room in the LHL to expound upon their mission. Just wondering when I can expect to read about the missions of dozens of other schools in Central Ky.

Surely you do not think that if a Public school is corrected for a violation then other public schools are also committing that violation. Or if a 4th region team has committed a violation, then other 4th region teams probably did also.

In the case of LexCath (or any other violator but they are the most recent), I think people tend to forget that both public AND private schools must compete for championships against the school that has committed the violations and gained an advantage. Both public and private schools should want ANY school committing violations to be dealt with by those in charge.

I don't recall EVER reading or hearing any supporter of private schools saying anything other then that if wrongdoing is proven the perpetrator should be severely punished. I still feel that way about any school, public or private.

You paint with an awfully broad brush when you imply that because LexCath has been found guilty of wrongdoing, then all private schools must be as well.

All Play while I appreciate the insight of your post, we're talking about financial aid. The publics don't really have it in their arsenal; comparing the LC situation to a public school situation is misleading.

Please don't miss my point. LC's principal claimed no wrong-doing yet it was going on. How, then, can you, me or anybody else make the claim that it's not happening on a broader scale?

The good folks who post here and tell us that it doesn't go on are, I'm sure, being truthful. They tell of their OWN experiences. But does that mean they know everything that goes on? For goodness sakes, the people who break the rules (public or private) aren't going to advertise it on BGP.

In fact, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that this type of infraction (financial aid) would occur primarily in a setting where there is the greatest possibility for it? Isn't that setting, generally speaking, in a private institution?

You are right that any rules violations should be punished. There are plenty of public schools that recruit. But frankly this debate is about the things that private schools can do that public schools cannot. I'm sure the privates feel put-upon but that's the nature of the argument. Face it...do you think if public schools could afford to advertise on radio, give out aid, draw from a huge area, pick which kids they educate, etc., we'd be having this debate?

All Play while I appreciate the insight of your post, we're talking about financial aid. The publics don't really have it in their arsenal; comparing the LC situation to a public school situation is misleading.

Please don't miss my point. LC's principal claimed no wrong-doing yet it was going on. How, then, can you, me or anybody else make the claim that it's not happening on a broader scale?

The good folks who post here and tell us that it doesn't go on are, I'm sure, being truthful. They tell of their OWN experiences. But does that mean they know everything that goes on? For goodness sakes, the people who break the rules (public or private) aren't going to advertise it on BGP.

In fact, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that this type of infraction (financial aid) would occur primarily in a setting where there is the greatest possibility for it? Isn't that setting, generally speaking, in a private institution?

You are right that any rules violations should be punished. There are plenty of public schools that recruit. But frankly this debate is about the things that private schools can do that public schools cannot. I'm sure the privates feel put-upon but that's the nature of the argument. Face it...do you think if public schools could afford to advertise on radio, give out aid, draw from a huge area, pick which kids they educate, etc., we'd be having this debate?

Well, I know of public schools that do advertise and the point of the advertising is to draw kids to their school that they are rightfullly proud of.

Now how that is different than a private school other than they do not need to give out aid?

As for the LC principal, that situation has absolutely nothing to do with any other school. You are correct in that you, me, or anybody else cannot make the claim that it's not happening on a broader scale? But you, me, and anybody else can also not make the claim that it is.

Obviously public schools don't need to grant aid, thanks to taxpayers including the parents of private school kids. Ten again maybe they do give aid. I have asked about schools that allow kids from outside their district and have been told that yes it happens but the school charges tuition. I have learned that this "tuition" is usually far less than dollar amount that most school systems attribute to each student. So isn't the balance of the cost being waived "tuition" assistance?

Well, I know of public schools that do advertise and the point of the advertising is to draw kids to their school that they are rightfullly proud of.

Now how that is different than a private school other than they do not need to give out aid?

As for the LC principal, that situation has absolutely nothing to do with any other school. You are correct in that you, me, or anybody else cannot make the claim that it's not happening on a broader scale? But you, me, and anybody else can also not make the claim that it is.

Could you tell me the names of the public school systems that advertise cause i have never heard of any around here? Maybe they do on that part of the state?

Well, I know of public schools that do advertise and the point of the advertising is to draw kids to their school that they are rightfullly proud of..

That statment is WAY off base in EKY and if its happening in other parts of the state then the TAX payers should be MAD. I would personally call the Superindendent of my school district if they spent moneis on "advertisement" those monies should be spent in the classrooms.

That statment is WAY off base in EKY and if its happening in other parts of the state then the TAX payers should be MAD. I would personally call the Superindendent of my school district if they spent moneis on "advertisement" those monies should be spent in the classrooms.

Why? If an independent school district has a "product" they think other would find beneficial why not run an ad in the newspaper promoting all the positives of their school system?

If private schools can do it why not a public school?

Could you tell me the names of the public school systems that advertise cause i have never heard of any around here? Maybe they do on that part of the state?

Ludlow Independent School ran an ad for several days on the Sports page of the KY Post. I am not calling attention to the fact that it was on the Sports Page to mean anything. That is just a page where ads run because it is most likely the most read page of the KY Post other than the front page.

Anyway the ad basically called attention to some of the positives of the Ludlow school like small class size, testing scores, closeness to areas etc. and invited all interested families to check out the school and be part of something special.

Interestingly it ran during the time when the Highlands case with the player eligiblity issue with the KHSAA was going back and forth in court and those articles were on the same page.

Just heard an ad today on WHAS radio for the Jefferson County Public Schools (the largest school system in the state) touting their academic repuataion and their nutritional programs. Sure sounded like they were trying to convince people to take advantage of their product to me.