KHSAA: Lexington Catholic lacks 'institutional control'

Jesse James

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't sound good. :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound good for LexCath. Actually sounds good for those who didn't think the KHSAA had enough resources or power to investigate, to document findings, and to assess penalties. And that goes for all the private and public schools that had to compete against a school that had an advantage.

While this may not be the standard MOI of private schools around the state, the practices of LC is felt in a large section of Central Kentucky. Hopefully, some of the overzealous supporters of private schools can begin to see what public schools have been complaining about. There IS evidence of a private school giving "scholarships/financial assistance" based on athletic prowness.

AT THE SAME TIME, the overzealous supporters of public schools cannot cast the same net over all private schools just because there is one acting as the KHSAA is accusing LC of acting.

I firmly believe that there are other private schools acting as LC did. I firmly believe there are public schools acting as LC did. Placing athletics over academics.

What MUST be done is that the KHSAA(meaning member schools as well as the Lexington offices) takes this opportunity and reforms the system for EVERYONE to level the playing field.

For the record Lex Cath is the exception no Catholic School in NKY runs their school the same nor do they have players from as many counties.

While I would very hastily say agree with you, I would cautiously make the claim that none do. None that you know of, YES. But I am sure you nor I nor anyone on here knows the dealings of ALL the private schools in NKY.

While this may not be the standard MOI of private schools around the state, the practices of LC is felt in a large section of Central Kentucky. Hopefully, some of the overzealous supporters of private schools can begin to see what public schools have been complaining about. There IS evidence of a private school giving "scholarships/financial assistance" based on athletic prowness.

AT THE SAME TIME, the overzealous supporters of public schools cannot cast the same net over all private schools just because there is one acting as the KHSAA is accusing LC of acting.

I firmly believe that there are other private schools acting as LC did. I firmly believe there are public schools acting as LC did. Placing athletics over academics.

What MUST be done is that the KHSAA(meaning member schools as well as the Lexington offices) takes this opportunity and reforms the system for EVERYONE to level the playing field.

I think if you look into the situation you will find that it is not as clear cut that LC offered financial aid based on athletic prowess. Rather there was financial aid given to needy students, some of whom were athletes. There is a big difference. There is also no indication that LC ever placed athletics over academics. That said, awarding financial aid to an athlete outside the procedures approved by the KHSAA is a clear violation and deserves to be punished. It has been.

There is a very generous benefactor of Trinity that tells a story about when he was a student. It was a long time ago. As I recall the story, his family was having trouble keeping up with the tuition payments. He went in to talk to Father Duer (then principal) and said that he might have to leave. As far as I know, the student was not an athlete. He was told not to worry, that there was no way Trinity was going to let him leave for financial reasons. He has never forgotten and has paid it back many times over. Unfortunately, that type of caring attitude would no longer be allowed, at least for athletes. I understand why, but it is still unfortunate.

If I'm not mistaken...Trinity used to offer full assistance to the troubled boys of Boy's Haven....I know of one case...he is several years older than me ..so that happened years ago.....Do any T supporters know of this?...I think it is a great idea to surround those boys with discipline and pride to help them get their lives on track!

Simply LC was giving money to athletes that other students were not privvy to, and these people happen to be athletes.

Financial aid was given to a student entering LC that had a unbelieveably terrible academic record. Yet he recieved aid.

Where did you get these "facts"? I read the story in the Lexington paper and the CJ and it doesn't mention your senario. Could you provide a link to a story that supports your claim? Thanks.