KHSAA: Lexington Catholic lacks 'institutional control'

Jesse James

Just heard an ad today on WHAS radio for the Jefferson County Public Schools (the largest school system in the state) touting their academic repuataion and their nutritional programs. Sure sounded like they were trying to convince people to take advantage of their product to me.

So what's the problem?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None whatsoever on my part, just answering the challange of JC to show where a public school system had advertised since he seemed to imply that public schools didn't advertise, only evil, nasty private schools do that.

:thumb: :thumb:

Didn't see that. I think all schools should promote themselves and the programs that they excel in, if they so choose to spend the money on it. It would be a little more difficult for public schools only because they'd be using taxpayers money. However, if athletics is brought into the picture in any way, I'd have a problem.

I think this touches on the real issue. I don't see ANYTHING wrong with what LC did. They helped a kid stay in a Catholic school and receive a good education. THAT IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING.

But that leads to the problem. Either LC has to 1)change their mission (I do not believe they should. Our society NEEDS them doing this.); 2)not let those students compete athletically (equally bad); 3)or compete against schools that would be allowed to do similar things.

I believe this is beginning to unmask the issues. I do not want LC or any of the other private schools to not help students. I LOVE seeing them being the CHURCH and doing those things Jesus commanded us to do. BIG thumbs up to them.

But to say that when they do this they are equal to what a public school does is not accurate. Simply LC should be COMMENDED not CONDEMNED for what they did. At the same time, don't take the stance that they are on an equal playing field athletically. And thus, why it needs to be studied and some course of action taken to let those compete against each other that are similiar.

At the same time, don't take the stance that they are on an equal playing field athletically. And thus, why it needs to be studied and some course of action taken to let those compete against each other that are similiar.

OK if you are going to take that stance then what is your take on the open enrollment system in Jefferson Co? That is clearly a different level playing field then some rural public school that only draws from their county. Those schools can take kids from anywhere around the county. Then what do you do for the other 4A schools to get an equal playing field? I mean schools like Henderson Co, John Hardin and Dunbar have WAY more boys in their school then a school like Oldham Co. How do you solve that problem to create an "equal playing field?"

I think this touches on the real issue. I don't see ANYTHING wrong with what LC did. They helped a kid stay in a Catholic school and receive a good education. THAT IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING.

I agree that the school was following the mission of the school. However, they agreed to abide with the rules of the KHSAA when it comes to giving financial aid to athletes. Thus they need to follow those rules in trying to accomplish their mission.

OK if you are going to take that stance then what is your take on the open enrollment system in Jefferson Co? That is clearly a different level playing field then some rural public school that only draws from their county. Those schools can take kids from anywhere around the county. Then what do you do for the other 4A schools to get an equal playing field? I mean schools like Henderson Co, John Hardin and Dunbar have WAY more boys in their school then a school like Oldham Co. How do you solve that problem to create an "equal playing field?"

I believe that is an unfair advantage and one of those things that I think is another example of the bigger issue out there. There are both public and private that compete at different levels that makes the playing field unlevel.

I agree that the school was following the mission of the school. However, they agreed to abide with the rules of the KHSAA when it comes to giving financial aid to athletes. Thus they need to follow those rules in trying to accomplish their mission.

And when the MISSION is in direct odds with the KHSAA rules???????? Do you fall on the side of doing God's work or the KHSAA Commissioner?

And when the MISSION is in direct odds with the KHSAA rules???????? Do you fall on the side of doing God's work or the KHSAA Commissioner?

LBBC,

I know you didn't ask me but I'll weigh in.

If LexCath saw a situation in that a student needed extra financial help to continue their education because of an unfortunate turn of events, they (LexCath) should be true to their mission and do whatever they could to help the student in a time of need.

If that student participated in any KHSAA sports, they should have notified the KHSAA of the circumstance and held the student out of any KHSAA contest from that point on.

LBBC,

I know you didn't ask me but I'll weigh in.

If LexCath saw a situation in that a student needed extra financial help to continue their education because of an unfortunate turn of events, they (LexCath) should be true to their mission and do whatever they could to help the student in a time of need.

If that student participated in any KHSAA sports, they should have notified the KHSAA of the circumstance and held the student out of any KHSAA contest from that point on.

I agree with what you said.

Unfortunately, that is unfair to the student.

I believe the two sides have a different slants on their missions that comes into conflict with ability to be similar in how their school is run.

While I have obviously argued for the side of Prop 20 on here, let me say I wish every kid was in a private school setting where they were hearing about the love of Jesus Christ and what He has done for them. They would be there because their parents CARED that they were hearing that message.

I believe that we will continue to see an increase in the number of private schools and student enrollment in private schools continue. With such societal decisions, as the recent court ruling on Intelligent Design and public schools, it will be more and more perceived that public schools are more and more a place that students will not be hearing that message. And parents will WANT their students hearing that message at home, at church, at school, etc. etc.

This world would be a much better place if more people heard and lived that message.

It is not unfair to the student because the student would get to continue their education and hear the message of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, the student would not be able to participate in KHSAA sports which is just that ....unfortunate not unfair.

It may sound harsh but there really isn't any other way to address the situation. The KHSAA can't allow financial aid to be given other than on a need basis following the process that is in place. I would support some sort of "emergency appeal" process to the KHSAA to deal with tragic situations but again the student/athlete would have to be immediately held out of KHSAA contests until the KHSAA is notified and issues a ruling.

It is not unfair to the student because the student would get to continue their education and hear the message of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, the student would not be able to participate in KHSAA sports which is just that ....unfortunate not unfair.

It may sound harsh but there really isn't any other way to address the situation. The KHSAA can't allow financial aid to be given other than on a need basis following the process that is in place. I would support some sort of "emergency appeal" process to the KHSAA to deal with tragic situations but again the student/athlete would have to be immediately held out of KHSAA contests until the KHSAA is notified and issues a ruling.

Or you create divisions that allow this to be given to the student AND allows them to compete. Does that mean more of the better athletes may end up in the private schools? Probably. But I don't know if that is necessarily a bad thing or...

Just a result of create a situation that allows private schools to do the best job at their mission they can and compete in a KHSAA setting.

I would agree with the "emergency appeal" but then imagine the heat that will cause when you have the first situation where the KHSAA says no and lawsuits begin to "protect" the student. In our society today, it is easier to just say no to all than to start putting conditions and having to defend those in a court of law.

I believe that is an unfair advantage and one of those things that I think is another example of the bigger issue out there. There are both public and private that compete at different levels that makes the playing field unlevel.

So if it goes Public/Private split then do you create a seperate Public Division for those with open borders and those without? How do you solve that problem? You then have the issue of 1A schools like Pineville competing with 1A schools the size of Danville. How do you solve that problem?

So if it goes Public/Private split then do you create a seperate Public Division for those with open borders and those without? How do you solve that problem? You then have the issue of 1A schools like Pineville competing with 1A schools the size of Danville. How do you solve that problem?

There is NOT a solution that will make every side happy.

There is NOT a "fair" solution.

And the issue is MORE than just private/public.

I am not one of those that thinks they have an answer to all the solutions. I have not studied what other states do that works and does not work. It is the job of others to do that. If I was asked to be on the committee, than I would study that issue.

I recognize that the present system is not working as well as I believe it should.

I do not believe there should be 6, 7, 8 or how many other divisions. 4 probably is the tops. Not sure on JUST class size being the best division though.

Maybe a Open enrollment 4A and 3A division. And a closed enrollment 1A and 2A division. 4A could be 800 and higher, 3A being 799 and lower. 1A being the same numbers. THat is just off the top of my head and don't know if it would work or not.