Should Highlands continue to scrimmage Trinity, or is Trinity out...

theguru

Are you saying Highlands would rather reschedule to get a win?

I am saying if you understand how "The Program" works it is counter-productive for Highlands to ever get drilled. In other words, yes, they need a tough scrimmage that they can win every year.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am saying if you understand how "The Program" works it is counter-productive for Highlands to ever get drilled. In other words, yes, they need a tough scrimmage that they can win every year.
It's not counter-productive if you understand the mindset of Coach Mueller. Of course he always aims to win every game, no matter the odds against his team. But a scrimmage loss isn't nearly as important as the training value of playing such a great team. Dale has never shyed away from playing the best teams -- scrimmage or regular season. If "the program" was only interested in a feel good win, they would schedule a sacrificial lamb..and they would fail to ever be the same Highlands Bluebirds again.

It's not counter-productive if you understand the mindset of Coach Mueller. Of course he always aims to win every game, no matter the odds against his team. But a scrimmage loss isn't nearly as important as the training value of playing such a great team. Dale has never shyed away from playing the best teams -- scrimmage or regular season. If "the program" was only interested in a feel good win, they would schedule a sacrificial lamb..and they would fail to ever be the same Highlands Bluebirds again.

You are missing my point BF and we strongly disagree.

Nobody ever wants to get drilled. But the point of a scrimmage is to make your team better. And the only way to make your team better is to play teams that are of equal or better quality. In the state of Kentucky, not many programs can say that they are of equal or better quality than the birds. Trinity is one of a handful!

As I stated earlier you want to look good but you don't want to show much or have a really nice player get hurt, it was a practice game, and Friday everything changes, I admire the Birds in playing the game and how hard they played, but sometimes you just get beat, and you move on.

Seems many of you did not read my post about substitution patterns. I told you before the scrimmage that Highlands used 19 different players lat year in their front 8. Defensive line used 10 players in just three spots in the varsity portion of the scimage.

Having caught that on film I focused on that area of Highlands D. In the first quarter Highlands used 7 defensive lineman to fill those three positions.

On the opposite side of the ball Highlands was clearly trying to find out what they had to back up their two missing tackles. I noticed that three guys, 55, 61, & 71, took turns filling those positions. and that 71 also played center in some form of rotation. If/when I get my hands on a copy of the film I can look at the detail, but it was obvious that there was some pre-determined rotation of these lineman to get them equal opportunities. Point being they were trying to get ready for the season more so than trying to win a scrimage.

When Highlands subs 5 or 6 guys between two plays does that go unnoticed by those who are watching. When a coach takes a starter out just to talk to him (coach him) and then puts him back in the next play does everyone miss that. I know they play a lot of guys in a regular season game, but did you all not notice the wholesale substitutions last night.

Again, as I said before the scrimage, Trinity subs fairly liberaly in these scrimmages as well. Not to the same level as H does on defense, but way more so than in a regular season game.

You all are reading way to much into the outcome of this scrimage. I have been told that both coaches want to keep this thing going because it accomplishes exactly what they set out to do. GET THEIR TEAMS READY FOR THE SEASON!

Out of their league? No way. These two programs are what they are because they choose to challenge themselves in the manner that they did last night, and approach that challenge in a manner that will make them more successfull for their respective seasons.

Winning a scrimmage in mid August is not and never will be on the goal list of either of these programs.

I think it could be counter productive if this HHS wasn't good but clearly they are. They may not be as good as Trinity but according to many prognosticators there are only a handful of those teams in the entire nation. How many teams in 4A have a legit chance to beat them? That's what really matters and I don't think this terrible loss will mean anything come December other than who is the overall best team in the state.

of Highlands league now?

There is a good chance T could be even better next year and Highlands doesn't figure to be as good.

When part of Highlands' success is a "drink the Kool-Aid mentality" is such a "beating" to start the season a bad thing and possibly counter-productive?

Highlands success is not due in part to a "drink the Kool-Aid mentality". The scrimmage was not counter-productive. Quite the contrary. It was extremely productive. I worry about Highlands players being over confident heading into a season. The "beating" as you described it not only addressed any such over confidence IF there was any, it also certainly exposed things that the coaches and players need to remedy before the Boyle game. If Highlands is only going to have one scrimmage per year, they'll get much more out of scrimmaging Trinity than scrimmaging Beechwood.

With the extremely talented juniors in the skilled positions, T could be better next year. But if what I was told is correct, all of their starting O linemen are seniors. And it wasn't T's skilled players that won the scrimmage Friday night; it was their O line. It is extremely good. They are big, moved extremely well, were extremely disciplined and demonstrated extremely good technique. Most of them, as I understand it, are returning starters so add extremely experienced to the list. From what I observed, T didn't beat Highlands with the pass; it was when Beatty decided to maximize the talent of the O line and run the ball that T had the most success on Offense.

If the T's O linemen are all seniors like I was told (or even if just a majority of them are seniors), T will need to have a bunch of extremely talented new starting O linemen next year for T to be better next year. Perhaps that will be the case. We'll have to wait and see.

I hope they continue to scrimmage. I haven't spoken to Dale about the scrimmage but have spoken privately to a couple of asst coaches. Obviously they were disappointed in not winning; but they said it showed them a lot of things about certain players seeing real varsity competition for the first time. One needs to remember, when you go with a two platoon system, there will each year be a lot of new starters and key backups. In Highlands case because of its size, a lot of those new starters and key backups will be juniors and sophomores (which is why I think the last two years Highlands hasn't started the season as strong as they historically have in the past). The quicker they can get "seasoned" and play at the varsity level, the better. Playing T accelerates that seasoning.

Thenamerrobdigity you have a lot of nerve bringing up NCC, Trinty has a better program than Highlands why because their School is much larger,more kids to pick from. Now with that NCC is half your size and other than Football what do you beat them in.

Thenamerrobdigity you have a lot of nerve bringing up NCC, Trinty has a better program than Highlands why because their School is much larger,more kids to pick from. Now with that NCC is half your size and other than Football what do you beat them in.

First off what does size have to do with being a better program? NCC and HHS don't play in football so we don't know who would win..That right there is the issue...not playing. It's like Beechwood and CovCath not playing or Dayton and Bellevue. Alot of these kids have played and known each other for years. This game needs to be played every year..

Exactly my point. To get better you need to play better teams. Ryle played highlands, sometimes twice a year, and i believe that has drastically changed their program for the better. Don't shy away from teams because they beat you a few times. Good competition makes you better. Yeah highlands is supposed to be better than ncc, but if ncc was able to improve from playing Highlands then the team and program could become better. Teams that have been tested throughout the season usually fair better in playoff games because they have been tested and know how to play in close games or cone from behind games.

Exactly my point. To get better you need to play better teams. Ryle played highlands, sometimes twice a year, and i believe that has drastically changed their program for the better. Don't shy away from teams because they beat you a few times. Good competition makes you better. Yeah highlands is supposed to be better than ncc, but if ncc was able to improve from playing Highlands then the team and program could become better. Teams that have been tested throughout the season usually fair better in playoff games because they have been tested and know how to play in close games or cone from behind games.

I see what you are saying and agree, however, if you support NCC all you have to say is they won state without playing Highlands.:idunno: