Should Highlands continue to scrimmage Trinity, or is Trinity out...

theguru

of Highlands league now?

There is a good chance T could be even better next year and Highlands doesn't figure to be as good.

When part of Highlands' success is a "drink the Kool-Aid mentality" is such a "beating" to start the season a bad thing and possibly counter-productive?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "loss" in a scrimmage won't mean squat if Highlands goes 15-0 and wins their 21st title. I don't think it's in their DNA to run away from a challenge. If anything their kids know they are beatable and that could make them even hungrier.

A "loss" in a scrimmage won't mean squat if Highlands goes 15-0 and wins their 21st title. I don't think it's in their DNA to run away from a challenge. If anything their kids know they are beatable and that could make them even hungrier.

With most schools I agree but Highlands is a Bird of a different color.

I do believe many Highlands fans believe they are on par with 6A powers like Trinity and St.X. The reality is they have awesome program that will not compete consitently against 6A powers just like Beechwood against the Birds. No harm playing them or scrimmage them if you can deal with the reality that very small percentage of time you are going to be able to win. it is hard to think people really thought that they would be on par with Trinity.

AMEN!!! That's the complete answer. :thumb:

Lots of years Highlands plays better teams than Trinity. Ex . 2 years ago, st. X Cincinnati beat Trinity. Just because you lose 2 scrimmages, one by a touchdown, doesn't mean you need to give it up. Highlands did win week 1 last year against Ryle, so it did get them ready for the season. If every team gave up after losing to a team 2 years in a row then we would probably have very few games that would ever be able to be played. Trinity should be better than Highlands, every year, and the last 2 years they were. Refer to the advantages trinity has over Highlands thread. Highlands could schedule a bunch of teams they could beat every year, but they dont. Highlands isn't ncc, in the sense that they are willing to put their neck out there in hopes to get to levels that have never been reached before.

of Highlands league now?

There is a good chance T could be even better next year and Highlands doesn't figure to be as good.

When part of Highlands' success is a "drink the Kool-Aid mentality" is such a "beating" to start the season a bad thing and possibly counter-productive?

You asked the question, why don't you give your opinion?

Lots of years Highlands plays better teams than Trinity. Ex . 2 years ago, st. X Cincinnati beat Trinity. Just because you lose 2 scrimmages, one by a touchdown, doesn't mean you need to give it up. Highlands did win week 1 last year against Ryle, so it did get them ready for the season. If every team gave up after losing to a team 2 years in a row then we would probably have very few games that would ever be able to be played. Trinity should be better than Highlands, every year, and the last 2 years they were. Refer to the advantages trinity has over Highlands thread. Highlands could schedule a bunch of teams they could beat every year, but they dont. Highlands isn't ncc, in the sense that they are willing to put their neck out there in hopes to get to levels that have never been reached before.

Am I reading this right? Are you saying NCC doesn't play a tough schedule? Because nothing could be further from the truth. Now, if you are making this comment because they won't play Highlands, then go ahead and say that. But NCC plays one of the toughest schedules out there when you consider the size of the school and the schools they play.

Edited by Birdsfan
Typo

You asked the question, why don't you give your opinion?

I would certainly consider finding a more winnable scrimmage year in and year out. Again, Highlands does things a little different (and they are the best at what they do) and given that difference I think getting pounded is counter-productive.

Am I reading this right? Are you sayingi NCC doesn't play a tough schedule? Because nothing could be further from the truth. Now, if you are making this comment because they won't play Highlands, then go ahead and say that. But NCC plays one of the toughest schedules out there when you consider the size of the school and the schools they play.

I was referring to playing Highlands.

I would certainly consider finding a more winnable scrimmage year in and year out. Again, Highlands does things a little different (and they are the best at what they do) and given that difference I think getting pounded is counter-productive.
The point of a scrimmage is to make yourself better for the regular season. If Highlands has the opportunity to scrimmage Trinity every year, they should do it. What good would it do them to crush somebody in a scrimmage. That shows you nothing. And if I'm Trinity, I want to scrimmage the birds every year. Chances are, they will provide much better competition than anyone else in the state year in and year out.

The point of a scrimmage is to make yourself better for the regular season. If Highlands has the opportunity to scrimmage Trinity every year, they should do it. What good would it do them to crush somebody in a scrimmage. That shows you nothing. And if I'm Trinity, I want to scrimmage the birds every year. Chances are, they will provide much better competition than anyone else in the state year in and year out.

Agreed.