Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

You'll eat those words in a few years...Alonso will hit 30+ HR's multiple times in the bigs once he gets his chance with the Reds or another team...I've watched him play multiple times big guy with plenty of power, just hasn't quite figured it out yet hitting a lot of doubles right now but has hit some.absolute bombs...

Alonso's power quotient, which measures HR power ability not production, is right at the average mark over the last two years. Whether he will ever become a 30 HR hitter in the majors is very iffy for me. IMO he is the best trade bait the Reds have. He is productive with enough hint of possibility that we may be able to snooker Reyes or some other nice player for him. He is blocked in the Reds system. The Reds need to find the best return they can for him in the trade market.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alonso's power quotient, which measures HR power ability not production, is right at the average mark over the last two years. Whether he will ever become a 30 HR hitter in the majors is very iffy for me. IMO he is the best trade bait the Reds have. He is productive with enough hint of possibility that we may be able to snooker Reyes or some other nice player for him. He is blocked in the Reds system. The Reds need to find the best return they can for him in the trade market.

I found this on Alsonso and it is exactly what I am trying to say...It comes from baseball prospectus...He just needs to polish his swing and his gap power will start to mix with some pull power and he will put up good power numbers...

The Cuban-born University of Miami first baseman had a monster season in 2008 hitting .370 with 24 HR 70 RBI and 80 runs scored. Given that he didn't sign until the deadline, Yonder did not accrue many minor league AB's, but his stint in the pitcher-friendly Hawaiian Winter League rendered positive results, as he hit .304 with 4 HR 21 RBI and a 20 BB/23 K ratio in 29 games. Alonso has above average power that should translate to 25-30 HR per season in Cincinnati. He hits the ball to all fields and is very effective at working counts and drawing walks. Alonso has a thick barrel-chested build that he worked hard to tighten up before his final season with Miami. Defensively, Alonso is limited to 1B and his array of skills at that position are average at best. Though he has very good power to centerfield and leftfield, Alonso needs to continue to pull balls on the inner half of the plate instead of using an inside-out swing to spray them the other way. Once he does, his power numbers should increase significantly.

I do agree with you he is the Reds best trade chips and one of the best trade chips in baseball...Were not the only two thinking this Baseball American thinks real high of him, see link...http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/05/daily-dish-yonder-alonso-raking-in-triple-a/

I found this on Alsonso and it is exactly what I am trying to say...It comes from baseball prospectus...He just needs to polish his swing and his gap power will start to mix with some pull power and he will put up good power numbers...

The Cuban-born University of Miami first baseman had a monster season in 2008 hitting .370 with 24 HR 70 RBI and 80 runs scored. Given that he didn't sign until the deadline, Yonder did not accrue many minor league AB's, but his stint in the pitcher-friendly Hawaiian Winter League rendered positive results, as he hit .304 with 4 HR 21 RBI and a 20 BB/23 K ratio in 29 games. Alonso has above average power that should translate to 25-30 HR per season in Cincinnati. He hits the ball to all fields and is very effective at working counts and drawing walks. Alonso has a thick barrel-chested build that he worked hard to tighten up before his final season with Miami. Defensively, Alonso is limited to 1B and his array of skills at that position are average at best. Though he has very good power to centerfield and leftfield, Alonso needs to continue to pull balls on the inner half of the plate instead of using an inside-out swing to spray them the other way. Once he does, his power numbers should increase significantly.

When was that written?

^

Posted May. 12, 2011 11:54 am by Ben Badler

And it apparently says nothing about his last two seasons ... those would seem much more relevant than his last spring in college and a stint in the Hawaiian Winter League, whatever level that is.

^

Posted May. 12, 2011 11:54 am by Ben Badler

This is what I found from Ben Badler, posted at the exact same time, according to the notation:

"Joey Votto is hitting like an MVP again this year. He's not going anywhere.

The way Yonder Alonso is hitting for Triple-A Louisville, the Reds either have their left fielder of the future or one of baseball's most valuable trade chips.

Playing in Rochester yesterday, Alonso hit a home run, a triple and a double yesterday, taking his averages up to .313/.362/.530 through 30 games. At 24, Alonso has a good approach, uses the middle of the field and has the power to hit 20-plus home runs. Alonso's defense isn't Raul Ibanez/Lance Berkman bad, but he's still a slow-footed outfielder and a defensive liability. Still, the Reds are living with Jonny Gomes' well-below-average defense in left field as he hits .194/.341/.407, so seeing Alonso in left field in Cincinnati is a very real possibility."

Of course, Alonso's numbers have gone down since then ... he's currently at .297/.359/.483. Those are decent numbers, but nothing special for a 1B/LF prospect.

I can see Alonzo putting up Adam LaRoche type numbers, with possibly hitting for a little better average.
I wouldn't strongly disagree with that ... but that isn't a prospect for which a team will break the bank.

Found this:

LaRoche, age 23 ... hit .290-20-72 in 483 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

Alonso, age 23 ... hit .290-15-69 in 507 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

LaRoche was quite a bit better in Double-A and their Triple-A stats were pretty close.

Good comparison.

I wouldn't strongly disagree with that ... but that isn't a prospect for which a team will break the bank.

I agree, but I think Alonzo could be used as part of a deal to bring Reyes to the Reds if the Reds were interested. I would be shocked if the Reds traded for him though.

I agree, but I think Alonzo could be used as part of a deal to bring Reyes to the Reds if the Reds were interested. I would be shocked if the Reds traded for him though.
I don't see the Mets being interested ... what does Alonso do that Ike Davis can't do?

I don't see the Mets being interested ... what does Alonso do that Ike Davis can't do?

Give them somebody they can move in another deal. I think it's obvious the Mets are going to deal Reyes sometime this season. How many contending teams have a need for Reyes? It's going to take a whole lot more than Alonzo to get Reyes, but I think he could still be part of the package.

Give them somebody they can move in another deal. I think it's obvious the Mets are going to deal Reyes sometime this season. How many contending teams have a need for Reyes? It's going to take a whole lot more than Alonzo to get Reyes, but I think he could still be part of the package.
Again, though ... how much value does Alonso really have? At this point, the best thing on his resume is that he is a former first-round pick.

Again, though ... how much value does Alonso really have? At this point, the best thing on his resume is that he is a former first-round pick.

How much value did Antonio Perez and Jake Meyer have?

How much value did Antonio Perez and Jake Meyer have?
Were those guys considered key parts of the deal? Besides, Perez was a middle infielder that eventually put up numbers in the minors as good as Alonso has so far, and he was only 19 or 20 at the time.