Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

He's hitting .305-5-23 in 167 games ... decent numbers, but not enough to get anyone really excited about him.

I'm going to assume you mean in 167 ABs, not games. I think his power was a bit exaggerated, but I think he's a much better pure hitter (a la Votto), than most expected.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of see where your coming from because none of them are oozing with potential in any certain area except maybe Fransisco in the Power Category...However none of them have had the chance and they have all put up respectable minor league numbers...Some players become even better when inserted in the ML Lineup with the likes of a Stubbs, Votto, Phillips, Bruce and Rolen...Nobody really knows but I'd say they all except maybe Fransisco have the potential to be Quality everyday players, just not superstars...
As I've pointed out before, Francisco's lack of plate discipline undermines his power potential. And from what I've read, his defense at third is marginal at best. All in all, he doesn't look like a prospect that other teams will knock down the door to acquire.

I'm going to assume you mean in 167 ABs, not games. I think his power was a bit exaggerated, but I think he's a much better pure hitter (a la Votto), than most expected.
Yes, at-bats ... but that translates to about .300 with 15-20 homers in Triple-A. Teams will want more than that from a first baseman.

Just for fun Frazier is on pace to hit around .300 with 35 HR's, 100RBIs and around 20 steals, also adding to his value is the many positions he plays...Alonso is just getting his power stroke back this year after breaking his Hamate Bone and is on pace to hit around .320 with 20 HR's, 80 RBI's and around 20 steals and is learning to play Left so he can play 2 positions...Francisco is only 23 years old and has only played 14 games since coming off the DL and is hitting .370 with 2 HR's and 11 RBI's...These numbers are multiplied out to around a full major league season, so obviously they wouldn't be as good if they were facing Major League Pitching, but maybe they could be you can't really say that they wont if they had the chance to play everyday...

Does anyone else see Mesaraco as the type of player you build a franchise around?

Guy seems like he's the complete package from what I've seen and read.

Build a franchise around? No I don't think any catcher is. He would have to be moved to a new position IMO.

Does anyone else see Mesaraco as the type of player you build a franchise around?

Guy seems like he's the complete package from what I've seen and read.

Definitely so, Plus Power and hits for average...I hear above average defense with a plus arm and very young with a chance to still get a lot better...Right now he could start for a number of ML Teams including the Reds in most years without a Hernandez...Without Hernandez I feel he is definitely better than Hanigan right now, but there is just no telling until he gets his chance...He is just 22 years old and didn't play any college ball, straight out of High School the kid is impressive...

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/in_depth_scouting_report_on_devin_mesoraco/4681314

Just for fun Frazier is on pace to hit around .300 with 35 HR's, 100RBIs and around 20 steals, also adding to his value is the many positions he plays...

Last year, Frazier hit .258-17-66 over a full season in Triple-A ... you think he's suddenly jumping to .300-35-100, or maybe is he just off to a hot start? Yeah, he plays multiple positions, but if he was a very good infielder, chances are the Reds would have kept him there. He's already 25, so he's hardly a potential star, but he could be a useful platoon outfielder.

Alonso is just getting his power stroke back this year after breaking his Hamate Bone and is on pace to hit around .320 with 20 HR's, 80 RBI's and around 20 steals and is learning to play Left so he can play 2 positions...

What power stroke? Alonso has 29 homers in nearly 1,000 minor-league at-bats. He might be a potential .300 hitter, but other teams aren't going to place much value on him unless he proves he can hit the ball out of the ballpark.

Francisco is only 23 years old and has only played 14 games since coming off the DL and is hitting .370 with 2 HR's and 11 RBI's...

He has a career 6-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in the minors. Guys like that rarely succeed in the majors.

Mesoraco is clearly the best prospect the Reds have, considering his age, position and the fact that he's off to a productive start in Triple-A at the age of 22.

Now he would command some value on the trade market ...

Last year, Frazier hit .258-17-66 over a full season in Triple-A ... you think he's suddenly jumping to .300-35-100, or maybe is he just off to a hot start? Yeah, he plays multiple positions, but if he was a very good infielder, chances are the Reds would have kept him there. He's already 25, so he's hardly a potential star, but he could be a useful platoon outfielder.

What power stroke? Alonso has 29 homers in nearly 1,000 minor-league at-bats. He might be a potential .300 hitter, but other teams aren't going to place much value on him unless he proves he can hit the ball out of the ballpark.

He has a career 6-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in the minors. Guys like that rarely succeed in the majors.

This quote shows how Alonso was showing some power before his Hamate Bone injury..."Reds prospect Yonder Alonso has begun a rehab assignment for a broken right hamate bone. Before getting injured on June 19, the seventh overall pick of the 2008 draft was hitting .287 with 8 HR and 45 RBI in 63 games between Single-A and Double-A this season."...

Another quote..."The knock on Alonso is that he hasn't shown much power as a professional, after hitting 52 homers in 665 college at-bats while at the University of Miami. In his three minor league seasons, Alonso has only hit 24 home runs 821 at-bats. However, some of the lack of power can be directly linked to a broken hamate bone, an injury that occurred in mid-June of 2009. This injury has a history of sapping a hitter's power for about a full year. According to Project Prospect, during his recovery Alonso changed his swing, using his arms more than his wrists (not a good think for power). If Alonso can have a healthy season in 2011, we could see a breakout that puts him in the high-AVG, med-power 1B category alongside the likes of Brandon Belt and Freddie Freeman. While on paper he’ll only be out a month or so, it can sometimes take longer than that to fully regain wrist/hand strength and as a result power numbers can suffer. A prime example of this is Ryan Zimmerman, whose ISO (that’s isolated power, or slugging percentage minus batting average) dropped over 30 points between 2007 and 2008 after having offseason hamate surgery. But most hitters eventually recover and gain that power back (Zim obviously gained his power back, and David Ortiz had his hamate bone removed in 1998)."

So Yonder put up great power numbers in college and has never really had a healthy campaign until now after breaking a bone that causes a lack of power...Joey Votto had 30 HR's in his first 4 Minor League Seasons which were at Rookie Ball and Single A in 291 games, Yonder has 29 HR's in his first 263 games of Single A thru Triple A ball (Thats 1 less HR in 28 less games against better competition...Yonder's power will be fine his college power will begin to translate once he gets comfortable again following his injury, this is his first full season back...The power is their he just has to figure it out, look at Jose Bautista I think he's figured it out:thumb:

This quote shows how Alonso was showing some power before his Hamate Bone injury..."Reds prospect Yonder Alonso has begun a rehab assignment for a broken right hamate bone. Before getting injured on June 19, the seventh overall pick of the 2008 draft was hitting .287 with 8 HR and 45 RBI in 63 games between Single-A and Double-A this season."...

Another quote..."The knock on Alonso is that he hasn't shown much power as a professional, after hitting 52 homers in 665 college at-bats while at the University of Miami. In his three minor league seasons, Alonso has only hit 24 home runs 821 at-bats. However, some of the lack of power can be directly linked to a broken hamate bone, an injury that occurred in mid-June of 2009. This injury has a history of sapping a hitter's power for about a full year. According to Project Prospect, during his recovery Alonso changed his swing, using his arms more than his wrists (not a good think for power). If Alonso can have a healthy season in 2011, we could see a breakout that puts him in the high-AVG, med-power 1B category alongside the likes of Brandon Belt and Freddie Freeman. While on paper he’ll only be out a month or so, it can sometimes take longer than that to fully regain wrist/hand strength and as a result power numbers can suffer. A prime example of this is Ryan Zimmerman, whose ISO (that’s isolated power, or slugging percentage minus batting average) dropped over 30 points between 2007 and 2008 after having offseason hamate surgery. But most hitters eventually recover and gain that power back (Zim obviously gained his power back, and David Ortiz had his hamate bone removed in 1998)."

So Alonso is now two years removed from his hamate injury and still has just five homers in 167 at-bats ... again, he has yet to prove he has anything more than moderate-at-best power.

So Yonder put up great power numbers in college and has never really had a healthy campaign until now after breaking a bone that causes a lack of power ...

So what if he showed power in college? A lot of power hitters in college lose that power in the switch from aluminum to wood. Alonso has yet to flash the kind of power you would want from a first baseman in the professional ranks.

Joey Votto had 30 HR's in his first 4 Minor League Seasons which were at Rookie Ball and Single A in 291 games, Yonder has 29 HR's in his first 263 games of Single A thru Triple A ball (Thats 1 less HR in 28 less games against better competition...Yonder's power will be fine his college power will begin to translate once he gets comfortable again following his injury, this is his first full season back...The power is their he just has to figure it out, look at Jose Bautista I think he's figured it out:thumb:

One huge difference ... Votto was 18 when he signed. Alonso was 21. Those three years represent a huge difference in development.

Bottom line ... at age 22, Votto was hitting .319-22-77 with 24 stolen bases at Double-A. At the same age, Alonso was hitting .299 with 9 homers in a half a season that split time between Class A and Double-A. His Double-A numbers, pro-rated over a full season (about .295-9-65), were far less impressive.

At age 23, Votto was a productive regular in the major leagues. Alonso was hitting .296-12-56 in Triple-A.

Don't even mention Votto and Alonso in the same sentence ... they're not close to being comparable.

So Alonso is now two years removed from his hamate injury and still has just five homers in 167 at-bats ... again, he has yet to prove he has anything more than moderate-at-best power.

So what if he showed power in college? A lot of power hitters in college lose that power in the switch from aluminum to wood. Alonso has yet to flash the kind of power you would want from a first baseman in the professional ranks.

One huge difference ... Votto was 18 when he signed. Alonso was 21. Those three years represent a huge difference in development.

Bottom line ... at age 22, Votto was hitting .319-22-77 with 24 stolen bases at Double-A. At the same age, Alonso was hitting .299 with 9 homers in a half a season that split time between Class A and Double-A. His Double-A numbers, pro-rated over a full season (about .295-9-65), were far less impressive.

At age 23, Votto was a productive regular in the major leagues. Alonso was hitting .296-12-56 in Triple-A.

Don't even mention Votto and Alonso in the same sentence ... they're not close to being comparable.

You'll eat those words in a few years...Alonso will hit 30+ HR's multiple times in the bigs once he gets his chance with the Reds or another team...I've watched him play multiple times big guy with plenty of power, just hasn't quite figured it out yet hitting a lot of doubles right now but has hit some.absolute bombs...