Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

NO WAY!!! Trade a 27 year old #1 starter with the best stuff on the staff for 2/3 of a season rent a player? Really??? I know the guy is struggling but he is still working his way back from TJ surgery and control is the last thing to recapture. If you ever want to win in the postseason, you must have a #1 starter and Volquez is the best opportunity on the Reds staff for that. Top level #1 starters are too hard to find. I don't even have to think about this.

That is the thing he is not a #1 starter, we should not let his one and ONLY good year still make us believe he is a #1. I'm sure there has been MANY pitchers through the years in the Major Leagues who have GREAT STUFF, but it does not mean they will be great pitchers or #1 pitchers. He has had more average years and bad years than he has had good years, so the whole #1 type pitcher thing needs to stop until he proves that it just wasn't one career year.

Their best chance at a #1 pitcher lies in Travis Wood who could end up being a Cliff Lee type maybe, or the next best chance would be Chapman IMO. They need to be done with the bullpen idea, and get him back to being a starter. He is the Reds best chance at having a #1 starter in the future.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO WAY!!! Trade a 27 year old #1 starter with the best stuff on the staff for 2/3 of a season rent a player? Really??? I know the guy is struggling but he is still working his way back from TJ surgery and control is the last thing to recapture. If you ever want to win in the postseason, you must have a #1 starter and Volquez is the best opportunity on the Reds staff for that. Top level #1 starters are too hard to find. I don't even have to think about this.

What are you watching? He was likely on juice before his stint on the DL. He's a mental midget, he's got NO chance to be a #1 on this staff. The fact that he bypassed the opportunity to sign a solid deal was a great omen for this club and we should take the opportunity to send mophead packin' if we could pull the trigger.

That is the thing he is not a #1 starter, we should not let his one and ONLY good year still make us believe he is a #1. I'm sure there has been MANY pitchers through the years in the Major Leagues who have GREAT STUFF, but it does not mean they will be great pitchers or #1 pitchers. He has had more average years and bad years than he has had good years, so the whole #1 type pitcher thing needs to stop until he proves that it just wasn't one career year.

Their best chance at a #1 pitcher lies in Travis Wood who could end up being a Cliff Lee type maybe, or the next best chance would be Chapman IMO. They need to be done with the bullpen idea, and get him back to being a starter. He is the Reds best chance at having a #1 starter in the future.

Their best chance at a #1 pitcher is either Cueto or Bailey.

Yes, I would do it. Volquez has good stuff, even if would get his control problems worked out I don't trust him to have his head in the game. I think that it was LRCW that said and I agreed that Volquez had the attention span (or something like that) of a little league pitcher. I don't think that he is a #1 pitcher, is far too undependable. jmo

To get Reyes now, without question I would do it.

I think if the Met's are dumb enough to pull the trigger on this you do it without hesitation...If the Reds are serious about winning than you would rather have a multiple time All Star SS even if for half a season than a SP with one fluke season under his belt...Also the Reds SS situation is probably the worst in baseball and its not like EV is adding wins to this ball club he's adding losses...Yesterday was a bad day in the EV, DRH for MVP Hamilton trade, EV to aaa, DHR waived and MVP Hamilton activated for Texas and hitting a HR in his first game back...I think getting one of the better SS in the game would help me forget about that trade...With Coco off the books for next year and Reyes making it more likely for the Reds to make a run in the playoffs possible who is to say the Reds couldn't resign Reyes...Maybe Reyes enjoys his time on the Reds and wants to come back without trying to rape them...Winning teams have bigger.budgets as well, Reyes puts more.buts in the seats, increases merchandise sales and increases the chances at playing home games in october ...if you can win year in year out you can afford to.spend.year in year out...Plug Leake, LeCure or Willis in there and you can't do any worse than EV...

Edited by nkufan23

Will you change your mind after EV gets rocked around in aaa for a few starts...

Straight up for one of the best shortstops in the game today? You wouldn't even think about it?

Tough trade but I would do it, if the Reds can and will be willing to try and keep Reyes after the season is over. I don't really see much difference in most of the Reds pitching staff anyway.

You all realize we get three months of Reyes and that is all. That is why there is no way I do this deal. Reyes is gone next year. And Reyes does not complete the Reds so that they can win the postseason. So why do that deal? It doesn't win for you this year and it doesn't win for you after this year.

I am going to let one year of being one of the best in the NL outweigh a little over one month while coming back from TJ surgery. He is still only 27 and the low budget Reds control him for the next two years.

You all realize we get three months of Reyes and that is all. That is why there is no way I do this deal. Reyes is gone next year. And Reyes does not complete the Reds so that they can win the postseason. So why do that deal? It doesn't win for you this year and it doesn't win for you after this year.

:thumb: Well said.

It's hard not to trust Walt. If this was on the table and the terms were favorable, I'd bet he'd pull the trigger. But, my guess is that the Reds front office isn't as torn up over Volquez as the BGP front office.:lol:

I find it quite comical that Reds fans STILL believe Volquez will be a #1. :lol: :lol:
I have to agree with this.

It's hard not to trust Walt. If this was on the table and the terms were favorable, I'd bet he'd pull the trigger. But, my guess is that the Reds front office isn't as torn up over Volquez as the BGP front office.:lol:
You are probably right but don't they know that BGP is THE experts on all matters? Especially the Reds.

Even if we don't think he is a #1 (Which I don't anymore) we are pretty much just giving him away to have Reyes for a few months.

Even if we don't think he is a #1 (Which I don't anymore) we are pretty much just giving him away to have Reyes for a few months.

If the Mets are willing to eat the majority of the salary, I'm still in favor.

I say do it. One of the biggest problems I have with EV is his demeanor and attitude he displays on the mound, and him now calling out lack of offense as the issue, not his pitching. We have guys who I think can come in and pitch at least as well as he has thusfar. I also feel Janish/Renteria have been given plenty of time to demonstrate they can hit, and neither has taken the opportunity. I do not care if we only have Reyes for this year. If he can provide steady defense and solid offense for this year, I am all for it. Gives us the rest of the year to find a solid shortstop for next year and beyond.