Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Volquez to the Mets for Jose Reyes?

Were those guys considered key parts of the deal? Besides, Perez was a middle infielder that eventually put up numbers in the minors as good as Alonso has so far, and he was only 19 or 20 at the time.

Just wanted to see how long it took you to figure out what deal I was talking about. :lol:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't strongly disagree with that ... but that isn't a prospect for which a team will break the bank.

Found this:

LaRoche, age 23 ... hit .290-20-72 in 483 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

Alonso, age 23 ... hit .290-15-69 in 507 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

LaRoche was quite a bit better in Double-A and their Triple-A stats were pretty close.

Good comparison.

You missed the part where he is considered one if the more valued trade chips in all of baseball didn't you?

One writer used that phrase ... again, what has Alonso done that makes him such a valuable trade chip?

Hit over .300 showed a great work ethic to get better, great plate discipline, Major League ready hitter...I don't know what he has done to deminish his trade value?

Hit over .300 showed a great work ethic to get better, great plate discipline, Major League ready hitter...I don't know what he has done to deminish his trade value?
What he hasn't done is hit for power and drive in a lot of runs ... if he's going to be a quality first baseman, he needs to show more pop.

What he hasn't done is hit for power and drive in a lot of runs ... if he's going to be a quality first baseman, he needs to show more pop.

Where does it say first basemen need a lot of pop...Alonso will show pop anyways so that doesn't matter, I can't wait to post in this thread in a couple years after he gets his chance...You are really giving up and this guy to quick and really underestimating what a hamate injury does to a hitter...Alonso is a spray hitter right now with great double power but just what till he starts pulling more balls...Seriously though being a. 300 hitting first baseman is a bad thing? power or not, I just don't get that a first baseman has to hit alot of dingers...Hitting for a high average is much more important....Adam Dunn or a. 300 hitter? Ill take that. 300 hitter and hope he is up with guys on base and gets one of those hits he averages roughly every 3 and a half at bats...

Where does it say first basemen need a lot of pop...Alonso will show pop anyways so that doesn't matter, I can't wait to post in this thread in a couple years after he gets his chance...

Alonso is putting up an OPS in the low- to mid-.800s in the minors ... those guys are a dime a dozen at first base. I'm not saying that he can't have a decent career, but it's a bit much to ask some team to give up something of significant value for him at this point in his career, given his good-but-not-great production and the fact that he may not have a spot in the Reds' lineup.

You are really giving up and this guy to quick and really underestimating what a hamate injury does to a hitter...

Ken Griffey Jr. broke his hamate bone during the 1996 season ... he missed about three weeks that season, then led the American League with 56 homers in each of the next two seasons.

Alonso is putting up an OPS in the low- to mid-.800s in the minors ... those guys are a dime a dozen at first base. I'm not saying that he can't have a decent career, but it's a bit much to ask some team to give up something of significant value for him at this point in his career, given his good-but-not-great production and the fact that he may not have a spot in the Reds' lineup.

Ken Griffey Jr. broke his hamate bone during the 1996 season ... he missed about three weeks that season, then led the American League with 56 homers in each of the next two seasons.

Some people sprain ankles and never recover till the season is over, some are back in a few days...Your point? All injuries of the same kind are all still very different, severity levels differ, bodies react differently everyone is different...

Some people sprain ankles and never recover till the season is over, some are back in a few days...Your point? All injuries of the same kind are all still very different, severity levels differ, bodies react differently everyone is different...
You said I didn't know how a hamate bone affected a hitter ... I told you about how Griffey responded to it.

Even before the injury, Alonso hadn't flashed big power in pro ball. He still hasn't. Do you dispute that?

Some baseball players that have had hamate injuries:

Jose Canseco (1989) ... hit 37 homers in 1990 and set his career-high with 44 in 1991.

Ken Griffey Jr. (1996) ... led the American League in homers the next two seasons.

Jim Thome (1996) ... hit 40 homers in 1997 and 30 in 123 games in 1998.

Dustin Pedroia (1997) ... won the MVP award the next year.

Troy Tulowitzki (2010) ... missed over a month in June and July, then hit 15 homers in September.

Edited by westsider