Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rumor: Georgetown College Moving to D3

Featured Replies

I would think that would be a big mistake.

I would also be interested in who "most people" includes.

I second that ...
  • Replies 37
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they stay at NAIA and somewhere down the road add wrestling...

  • Author

After digging into this a bit, it appears that the "announced plan" is to go D3 in two years because the school is facing a deficit of something like $1.5 mil.

 

There are some folks who think the move will never happen and the rumor is a tactic to get some donations.

Can anyone post the article from the Georegetown Graphic News about this situation?

Georgetown College is exploring a potential move for its athletics programs from the NAIA to the National Collegiate Athletic Association in its pursuit of Phi Beta Kappa status.

 

On April 13, the college sent a letter of membership interest to the NCAA Division III. If the college makes the move, it would no longer be able to offer athletics scholarships

 

http://m.news-graphic.com/mobile/news/article_88b5d384-7508-11e0-b98a-001cc4c03286.html

I wonder why President Crouch feels the need to slam the current athletic programs in this article. It seems to be one of the few positive PR items that comes out of Georgetown College on a regular basis.

As the parent of a (non-athletic scholarship) varsity athlete at Georgetown, I am not happy with the direction in which this seems to be going.

 

But she will graduate in 2012, so it's not the end of the world for me.

The manner in which Crouch has decided to address the issue and bash the athletic programs, mainly the coaches, players, and former players is rediculous. This is the man that is supposed to have the support of all bodies at Georgetown College and has decided to "throw them under the bus" with his comments he made. As a former student athlete at Georgetown I have to take this as somewhat of a personal slap in the face that all the accomplishments my teammates and I achieved meant absolutely nothing in the eyes of the college president. The only move I hope Georgetown makes is to find a new leader of the institution.

Agreed. Not too many at Georgetown are fond of Crouch.

Thank you mcraycraft for posting the article. I believe Crouch wants to move to D3 status to save his own tail. His fiscal management of the college has placed it in danger and by eliminating scholarships he thinks that he can save some money. The article does not state how long it takes a college/university to obtain Phi Beta Kappa status. This process usually takes more than 25 years. Crouch is using the Phi Beta Kappa status to hide behiind his own ineptness as a college president.

  • Author

I had a lengthy conversation with Coach Osborne last night and there are a lot of things here that were assumed/inaccurate. I'll post an article soon that will hopefully explain things a little better.

http://m.news-graphic.com/mobile/article_95209660-770e-11e0-9702-001cc4c002e0.html

This is article by Sport Reporter at the Georgetown News Graphic

 

http://m.news-graphic.com/mobile/article_d7751372-771a-11e0-9c3d-001cc4c002e0.html

This article also in the same Sports Section is about the legendary Coach Bob Davis' Views on this issue

 

Looks like this "annoucement" is not going over well with faculty, current students, and alumni.

 

If you are interesting in joining the fight to stop the move to D3 you can become of fan of the page "Help Save the Georgetown College Athletic Tradition" on Facebook

Here is everything you need to know about Georgetown College's rumored move to DIII (and probably more)...

 

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2011/05/at-this-point-georgetown-college-is.html

 

I spoke in-depth with both Osborne and Crouch.

 

What is a time line if these so called "Decisions" were made by the end of the year? Is this a 3 or 4 year thing or is it a 6,7, or 8 year type thing?

  • Author
What is a time line if these so called "Decisions" were made by the end of the year? Is this a 3 or 4 year thing or is it a 6,7, or 8 year type thing?

 

It happens quickly once that final decision is made.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.