Knight, Liggins and Jones All Declare

Zoot Soup

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knight - Had trouble physically playing 30+ games. What will he do playing 83? Needs another year to get stonger.

Jones- Needs to get stonger. Had a player in the tourney run him completely under the backboard on a rebound. Also needs find his right hand.

Liggins - I have never heard of a defensive player being drafted. Would be a free agent at best.

JMO!

No harm in them testing the waters, but I think all three of them would have thier future draft stock double by staying another year.

You think Knight and Jones would go in the top 5 next year? Not likely. Liggins on the other hand would probably benefit from staying another year.

If Cal is so dead set on guys testing the waters why didn't he advise Miller to do the same? Could he not have learned anything from the evaluation?

I read somewhere that Miller's dad said he was going to test the waters, but nothing came of it.

No harm in them testing the waters, but I think all three of them would have thier future draft stock double by staying another year.

In what people are calling one of the deepest drafts ever? I highly doubt it. Knight's stock will never be higher. I agree that Jones and Liggins could benefit, but it isn't certain they would.

But with Liggins his situation is completely different, so he may have to leave.

Right but not sure getting taken in the 2nd round is a better option than trying to stick it out one more year and maybe get taken in the first round. Either way he is probably going to play over seas IMO.

They may need to leave this year just to be in the top ten. Davis and Gilchrist are both projected in the top 5 already for 2012. Add in Sullinger, Perry Jones and Barnes and that leaves Knight at least 1 spot lower than his current projection.

They may need to leave this year just to be in the top ten. Davis and Gilchrist are both projected in the top 5 already for 2012. Add in Sullinger, Perry Jones and Barnes and that leaves Knight at least 1 spot lower than his current projection.

That's assuming no 2 and out rule isn't implemented though...

This announcement today has only convinced me of one thing and that is probably that Knight is gone now for sure. I think Liggins and Jones both very well could be gone, but I think both are also looking just to see where their game is and what improvements they need to make, if the feedback is positive enough then they will go.

I think all three guys stand to benefit from 18 days more of evaluation and consideration. I think few people will argue with the perception that each is not nearly complete as a player but with the state of this year's draft they have slowly moved up the draft boards. Each guy could benefit from a year more of the college game, I do not see a John Wall or Demarcus Cousins in this group who I can say, wow, there is nothing more college basketball can give these guys that the NBA can't (not speaking money).

Jones game depends on the GMs, Coaches, and Scouts perception of him, we all know he has freaky potential, but his effort and shortcomings(no right hand, less than stellar jumper, lack of interior post moves, especially against stronger, bigger players) on the court also leave many people with question marks about how NBA ready he is. Liggins could very well be a player the style of Bruce Bowen, anyone know when Bowen got drafted? (He Didn't) Liggins has lots of great attributes that make him very desirable and his jumper has improved, still I don't think he stands out enough to push him over the top. Furthermore, a looming lockout and uncertain draft status don't seem like promising money making prospects. There is an okay chance Liggins succeeds and does well, I think there is a better chance he could make the wrong decision by staying in the draft and dooming himself to a future of foreign basketball leagues.

As for Coach Cal and UK in the state of this, I've seen a couple different outlets now and fan reactions, I'd say overall we are all disappointed these guys didn't come with a resounding statement of staying in college, but the world of Kentucky is far from over. Coach Cal recruits the best players he can get. Many of them are immediately going to be top NBA prospects and frankly a lot of them would never set foot on college if they could declare straight from high school to the NBA. However, they can't declare right away and most would rather spend a year in an American college playing the game under a top coach while potentially getting a good education instead of travelling to Europe to purely play basketball, make money, and do whatever else.

Yes we will probably year in and out have this wonderful month long "will they stay or go debate". Sometimes guys will be tweeners with some part of their game left to improve upon, other times the guy will be a sure bet NBA All-Star. Either way we wish them best and recognize that UK basketball has become something it hasn't been in a good ten years, nationally relevant and a championship contender. Face it, one and dones will happen and frankly if they do happen it probably meant we had a darn good season, otherwise the alternative is that the freshmen fall flat on their face, flame out and are unimpressive all season leading to them deciding to come back.