Question about Larry Bird

The Dirk comparison should begin and end with that they can shoot ball well and white (though Bird was a better shooter and whiter ;)). Bird was better at every other facet of the game.

No comparison. I agree. Bird's all around game was exponentially better than Dirk's...passing, rebounding, defense, leadership, and whatever else you can name.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dirk comparison should begin and end with that they can shoot ball well and white (though Bird was a better shooter and whiter ;)). Bird was better at every other facet of the game.

The stats say otherwise. Other than assist Dirk is neck and neck with him.

The stats say otherwise. Other than assist Dirk is neck and neck with him.

Stats say Alex English was one of the greatest players of all time. Reality says he was just a one-dimensional scorer for middle-of-the-road teams. If Nowitzki was all that great, where's the hardware to back it up?

Then it is one time the stats lie. No way is Dirk on Larry Legend's level.

I'm not saying Dirk is Larry, the thread just asked what would Bird be like in the NBA today.

My response to that is if you want to see the closest thing to what Bird could do in the NBA today against all of these guys then just go watch a Mavs game that Dirk playing. Bird was one of the greats, I'm not saying Dirk is his clone, or even that there games are totally alike. I'm just saying what would Bird be like in the NBA today, and IMO he'd be as effective as Dirk is and fit in similarly with the NBA world of today. Theres no way you can simulate Larry into the game today so all you can go on is what you got and I think the closest player you will see that would be more fairly to portray how he would do is Dirk.

I'm not saying Dirk is Larry, the thread just asked what would Bird be like in the NBA today.

My response to that is if you want to see the closest thing to what Bird could do in the NBA today against all of these guys then just go watch a Mavs game that Dirk playing. Bird was one of the greats, I'm not saying Dirk is his clone, or even that there games are totally alike. I'm just saying what would Bird be like in the NBA today, and IMO he'd be as effective as Dirk is and fit in similarly with the NBA world of today. Theres no way you can simulate Larry into the game today so all you can go on is what you got and I think the closest player you will see that would be more fairly to portray how he would do is Dirk.

I hear you and respectfully disagree. I was just responding to HT's post about the stats saying otherwise. IMO, if Bird was on the Mavericks this year they would be the best team in the West and they would win the title. I firmly believe that which is why I can't see the Dirk comparison. Bird made everyone around him better. Including Jerry Sichting. Dirk doesn't do that. Bird would embarrass most players in this age where you can't touch players. He dominated in a time when the game was much more physical. Personal fouls then are flagrant fouls today. Heck, you could argue that he would be better since less teams focus on defense they way they did back then as well. Dirk is a great player, best European ever most likely. When looking at Bird's complete game I just can't see a comparison other than their sweet stroke. Bird did so much more.

Since I made the initial Dirk comparison, I feel the need to mention a few things in his defense.

1. The idea that Bird would make this year's Mavs team the best team in the West seems to me to be unfounded. Caron Butler would make this team the best team in the West. Everyone needs the right support pieces. Dirk misses Butler, the Mavs miss Butler.

2. Bird played with McHale and Parrish, so while he led this Celtics he had great players around him the level that Dirk has not had. Dirk had Nash for a few years and has Jason Kidd in the twilight of his career. Dirk never had 2 guys at his level in their prime the way Bird had.

3. What were the Mavs before Dirk showed up? He gets no credit for taking a loser franchise and taking them to Game 7 of a Finals, winning an MVP, and being the greatest European- born player in NBA history?

Bird was better, and he was signifigcanly better. Dirk is not chopped liver. Dirk is a top 100 all time player. Bird is a top 20, arguably top 10. Remember, I never said that Dirk was a Bird clone; i just said that if Dirk had success, I do not see why Bird would not in the modern NBA. I am curious, since folks are so offended by the comparisons I have made, who do others use as a comparison in the modern NBA?

BTW, did anyone notice the Peja comparison- yet folks jumped on the Dirk comparison as offensive. :lol:

Since I made the initial Dirk comparison, I feel the need to mention a few things in his defense.

1. The idea that Bird would make this year's Mavs team the best team in the West seems to me to be unfounded. Caron Butler would make this team the best team in the West. Everyone needs the right support pieces. Dirk misses Butler, the Mavs miss Butler.

2. Bird played with McHale and Parrish, so while he led this Celtics he had great players around him the level that Dirk has not had. Dirk had Nash for a few years and has Jason Kidd in the twilight of his career. Dirk never had 2 guys at his level in their prime the way Bird had.

3. What were the Mavs before Dirk showed up? He gets no credit for taking a loser franchise and taking them to Game 7 of a Finals, winning an MVP, and being the greatest European- born player in NBA history?

Bird was better, and he was signifigcanly better. Dirk is not chopped liver. Dirk is a top 100 all time player. Bird is a top 20, arguably top 10. Remember, I never said that Dirk was a Bird clone; i just said that if Dirk had success, I do not see why Bird would not in the modern NBA. I am curious, since folks are so offended by the comparisons I have made, who do others use as a comparison in the modern NBA?

BTW, did anyone notice the Peja comparison- yet folks jumped on the Dirk comparison as offensive. :lol:

I do think Bird made McHale and Parish better players. As well as Ainge and Dennis Johnson. They weren't chopped liver but I don't think any of them would be that good if they played today.

I also think that with or without Caron Butler that Bird could lead the Mavs to a title whereas I don't have faith in Dirk's ability to do that. He can prove me wrong though.

I saw the Peja comparison and man......I just shook my head and moved on.:lol::lol:

With Butler I don't see the Mavs as the best in the West. Add Bird and subtract Dirk and I don't think the Mavs are the best in the West.

I do. Bird would make the whole team better. He would work make Tyson Chandler an all star, Stevenson. A dead eye long range sniper, Kidd 5 years younger and Barea the 6th Man of the Year.