Question about Larry Bird

He was low on the athletic scale by NBA standards.

The definition of "athletic" is purely subjective. Could he leap out of the gym or break 4.5 in the forty? No. But he possessed another realm of "athletic" ability such as balance and coordination which led to his crafty nature.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed my point- I did not say who was better. I said they have similar style games and Dirk has had success so I would imagine Larry Bird would have success. One of the original points was that folks on sites like this one may not have seen Bird and do not realize how good he was. I was trying to compare him to the most applicable modern player that I could think of.

I don't think they have similar styles. I think Dirk can shoot like Larry could but that is it. I have never watched Dirk play and felt like I was watching a poor man's Larry Bird. That being said, with your last sentence I understand you trying to give the young ones an example. Honestly, I don't think there is anyone who can give an accurate comparison. He is Larry Legend. Basketball Jesus.

Might even be better today, considering how fundamentally outstanding he was compared to how lacking most of today's players are in fundamentals. That athleticism argument doesn't wash with me either, because it operates under the false assumption that players in Bird's generation had none. Remember, he was the best player on the floor most every game he played, and as a result, the other team's top defender -- usually the best athlete on the team as well -- generally had to check Larry.

Oh yeah, he also worked harder than just about anyone except for Michael Jordan. One more edge for Bird.

:thumb::thumb:

This thread is making me appreciate the times I had as a kid with my father as we bonded over our hate for Larry because he always played magnificent. The duels against the Lakers were some of the greatest basketball I ever witnessed and after today I think Larry is even better than what I ever believed....if that is possible. Larry would still dominate in today's game. I firmly believe that. It took the greatest Laker teams ever, the greatest Pistons teams ever, the greatest 76ers teams ever and the greatest Hawks teams ever to beat him and with the exception of the Lakers he beat them more than they beat him.

Larry Bird was at a severe athletic disadvantage in the 80s, so I don't see why today would be different. Steve Nash is not athletic but he is a smart player. Bird's game was basketball savvy, instinctive feel for the game mixed with a sweet jumpshot. Larry Bird would be just as successful now, though I do think there are some guys he could not guard. But, he'd be a star today IMO.

Any of the old school stars would be good today IMO. I think Jerry West would be the most interesting, and IMO would be the most likely not to be able to play at the same level as far as the all-timers. JMO

I also feel Pistol Pete would be more revered in todays game as would Wilt Chamberlain, even though Wilt wouldn't be putting up 50 points and 25 rebounds a game.

I don't think they have similar styles. I think Dirk can shoot like Larry could but that is it. I have never watched Dirk play and felt like I was watching a poor man's Larry Bird. That being said, with your last sentence I understand you trying to give the young ones an example. Honestly, I don't think there is anyone who can give an accurate comparison. He is Larry Legend. Basketball Jesus.

We can agree to disagree on who Bird plays like- but dogging Dirk, IMO, is unnecessary. He has an MVP, took his team to the finals, is the best European-born player ever in the NBA and will be in the Hall of Fame. We can talk about Bird's greatness without disparaging Dirk. Dirk isn't a poor man's anything- his career stands on its own merit, IMO.

I think Dirk, Carmelo and Kevin Durant all have a lot of Larry Bird in their games. They work from the outside in, can play with their back to the basket, dominate the mid-range with their jumper and can stretch you to the three point line. Dirk and Durant have not proven to be as clutch as Bird (both have hit some big shots and had big games in big spots, though), but Carmelo has shown the pension to hit the big shot a la Larry- Larry has hit his shots in some big situations that Carmelo has rarely had the opportunity to play in, though.

Where Larry separated himself from these guys was his defense and passing, IMO. Carmelo and Durant were both superior athletes, though. All these guys have very high basketball IQ, IMO. They also all used their size to their advantage, offensively, in getting their jumpers off pretty clean even with tight defense. Of course, this is all JMO. I also grew up hating Larry Legend and his Celtics because they kept pounding on my Knicks when I was growing up.

Bernard King is underrated- just throwing that in. :thumb:

We can agree to disagree on who Bird plays like- but dogging Dirk, IMO, is unnecessary. He has an MVP, took his team to the finals, is the best European-born player ever in the NBA and will be in the Hall of Fame. We can talk about Bird's greatness without disparaging Dirk. Dirk isn't a poor man's anything- his career stands on its own merit, IMO.

How am I dogging Dirk? A poor man's Larry Bird is a compliment I would think. However, I do think Dirk is overrated. Other than a sweet jumper what does he bring to floor? He still hasn't mentally recovered from his meltdown in the Finals against the Heat. He and Kevin Durant are similar to me.

I see alot of Bird in LeBron's game. There are obvious differences, LBJ is a freak athlete, Bird is maybe the best pure shooter of all-time. But the instinctual part of their games is very similar. Bird was hindered by his athletic abilities, LeBron is not a real fundamental defensive player, but they both get the job done especially in the passing lanes. And at the forward position I think they are two of, if not the two best passers of all-time.

I don't really think there is a close comparison to Bird in the NBA right now. Dirk is tall and can shoot, but he doesn't have the complete game Bird had. Melo can get his shot off in a similar way to Bird, but he doesn't play defense and isn't the playmaker Bird was. Durant is tall and that is about as far as that comparison goes IMO.

I think Dirk, Carmelo and Kevin Durant all have a lot of Larry Bird in their games. They work from the outside in, can play with their back to the basket, dominate the mid-range with their jumper and can stretch you to the three point line. Dirk and Durant have not proven to be as clutch as Bird (both have hit some big shots and had big games in big spots, though), but Carmelo has shown the pension to hit the big shot a la Larry- Larry has hit his shots in some big situations that Carmelo has rarely had the opportunity to play in, though.

Where Larry separated himself from these guys was his defense and passing, IMO. Carmelo and Durant were both superior athletes, though. All these guys have very high basketball IQ, IMO. They also all used their size to their advantage, offensively, in getting their jumpers off pretty clean even with tight defense. Of course, this is all JMO. I also grew up hating Larry Legend and his Celtics because they kept pounding on my Knicks when I was growing up.

Bernard King is underrated- just throwing that in. :thumb:

I can agree that those 3 together make 1 Larry.:D

I definitely agree that Bernard King was underrated. He was one of my Dad's favorites. King could fill it up.

How am I dogging Dirk? A poor man's Larry Bird is a compliment I would think. However, I do think Dirk is overrated. Other than a sweet jumper what does he bring to floor? He still hasn't mentally recovered from his meltdown in the Finals against the Heat. He and Kevin Durant are similar to me.

I think Dirk is an all-timer. But he's not the kind of guy that can lead a team to a Championship by himself. Bill Simmons says he can be a team's 2nd best player on a title team. I think he can be the best but he needs another star at or near his caliber IMO. Had Nash never left the Mavs would have a title by now IMO.

Dirk has a nice jumper, but it's not like he's just a spot up guy. He's one of the 6 or 7 best guys in the league at getting his shot off. He is an elite scorer IMO, and he's been underrated the last two seasons because the Mavs are not built for long-term success. Hate to quote Simmons again, but I think they play too many guys. His 8 & 1/2 man theory holds true. One to two scorers, a rebounder, a great defender a passer, three role guys and a guy who doesn't mind a few minutes here and there. The Mavs just don't have that formula. Most of the really good teams do.