Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Grant Hill Responds to Fab Five Documentary

Featured Replies

  • Author

 

The "uncle Tom" comment may have reflected the thinking of teen agers, but when Rose decided to keep it in the documentary, I think it mandated some response by Hill and others.

 

 

100% correct, LN. It doesn't matter what Jalen said outside of the show. Many more people saw the show but did not hear any clarifying statement made by Rose. You cannot let such a vitriolic comment pass without response. I like Jalen as a commentator but essentially he was saying Hill wasn't "black enough." Hill decided to not let the accusation slide as silence on the issue could be construed by a young black man as acceptance as fact.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grant Hill is being way too sensitive here. His response was incredibly written and very well thought out. However, was it necessary? It is clear from the documentary that King and Rose were merely stating how they felt at the time of their recruitment and time at Michigan. That was 20 years ago. Rose has stated in numerous interviews about how his perspective was way off base, and all the respect that he had for Grant Hill and his family. King and Hill were friends.

 

Hill's response was all about ego, and allowing the media to gode him into responding before he had watched the documentary. He did not have the context of the questions. Rose was co-executive producer, so maybe he should have edited it better to give context. However, the Duke players need to get some perspective. Why respond to it? If you are asked the question just say, "It was 20 years ago. Opinions change, records don't."

 

I think his response had more to do with Jimmy King calling him a profane name on Monday during an interview(which shocked him because he thought they were friends) and the fact that when Jalen Rose was presented with an opportunity to clear the air and say it was what I felt then he just kept making the situation muddy . Jalen Rose still has yet to back off his 'Uncle Tom' assessment and stated on twitter yesterday he is done talking about Duke. Yesterday on twitter is the closest Jalen has come to admitting he felt that way at 18 and not 37. He was the executive producer of the documentary. He has had plenty of time to clear the air. Calling a black man an Uncle Tom is the worst insult one black man can call another. THE WORST. Grant Hill had every right to be sensitive and his response was perfect.

That is sort of the point I was getting across. While I think Rose has backed off his statement that these kids are "Uncle Toms", he has not backed off the notion that Duke predominately only recruits "affluent" African American players.

 

Link? I haven't heard or seen Jalen back off of anything and I follow him on twitter but I may have missed it. Been at Rupp where smartphones go to die........

Link? I haven't heard or seen Jalen back off of anything and I follow him on twitter but I may have missed it. Been at Rupp where smartphones go to die........

 

The Uncle Tom comment was from the perspective of Jalen at 18. Backed off through the years in that sentiment. He was asked about it on First Take this week.

The Uncle Tom comment was from the perspective of Jalen at 18. Backed off through the years in that sentiment. He was asked about it on First Take this week.

 

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking he was still giving off the vibe that he felt the same.

All class by Grant Hill, well thought out and applied. I hope young people are recognizing that this is how a role model should handle adversity.

 

FYI folks, Grant Hill drinks sprite.....

Also the more I think about it, the fact that terms like "uncle tom" and that of the same in white communities continues to exist in todays society is very sad and it certainly does not help in moving forward and progressing as a society.

No doubt Rose still resents Duke. I thought he made that very clear.

I like Rose and thought he spoke from the heart. It wasn't politically correct but there is some truth behind the poor choice of words.

So what's wrong with an affluent top notch education institution recruiting a particular type of kid? Bob Thuggins recruited bad character kids from poor areas and look at the stigma it created.

 

I didn't see the Fab 5 documentary but heard it was good. I can see where Rose is coming from but do not agree with the way it was presented from what it sounds like.

 

I think Hill's response is awesome. As much as I despise Duke I do respect their program and the type of student athletes they develop.

So what's wrong with an affluent top notch education institution recruiting a particular type of kid? Bob Thuggins recruited bad character kids from poor areas and look at the stigma it created.

 

I didn't see the Fab 5 documentary but heard it was good. I can see where Rose is coming from but do not agree with the way it was presented from what it sounds like.

 

I think Hill's response is awesome. As much as I despise Duke I do respect their program and the type of student athletes they develop.

 

Agreed!

The Uncle Tom comment was from the perspective of Jalen at 18. Backed off through the years in that sentiment. He was asked about it on First Take this week.

 

To be entirely fair, it's not as though the attitude that Rose displayed at 18 is not still around in some levels among black kids that age, especially if they come from "the wrong side of the tracks." There's always been an undercurrent of anti-intellectualism that thrives among "the Jerry Springer crowd," regardless of color. It's used frequently in political campaigning, with great success.

To be entirely fair, it's not as though the attitude that Rose displayed at 18 is not still around in some levels among black kids that age, especially if they come from "the wrong side of the tracks." There's always been an undercurrent of anti-intellectualism that thrives among "the Jerry Springer crowd," regardless of color. It's used frequently in political campaigning, with great success.

 

Exactly. It's not a color thing, it's an attitude thing.

  • Author
To be entirely fair, it's not as though the attitude that Rose displayed at 18 is not still around in some levels among black kids that age, especially if they come from "the wrong side of the tracks." There's always been an undercurrent of anti-intellectualism .

 

Reminds me of a funny Chris Rock piece.

Link? I haven't heard or seen Jalen back off of anything and I follow him on twitter but I may have missed it. Been at Rupp where smartphones go to die........

 

Ain't that the truth! :madman:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.