Grant Hill Responds to Fab Five Documentary

Clyde

Still a Rose fan. Loved watching him when he was an Indiana Pacer. Enjoy his commentary today. He made a comment when he was younger--not directly intended at any one individual. Now there is a cloud over anything that he has ever accomplished.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke recruits a different kind of kid, black or white. Their academic standards require that. As for Grant Hill, Jay Williams, etc. being uncle Toms, I wouldn't say that at all. Are they the first people that come to mind when you think of black basketball players? Probably not, but I don't think they have forsaken their "blackness" by any stretch of the imagination.

I can kind of see where Jalen is coming from because alot of guys that go to Duke, no matter what color, are not your typical athletes. You see alot of athletes rise from poverty, single parent homes, etc. and make it but the image is that this is not how most Dukies are (which they have been kids at Duke with poorer backgrounds). But I think it's sad that Jalen, (at the time or even now) would pigeon hole being black to being from a lesser background financially, family-wise or anything else. Duke gets smart kids, they have alot of players they would probably love to have but cannot get into school. Being from a poorer background means that there are less opportunities to get the kind of education wealthier kids can get. Doesn't mean that all poor kids are dumb or all rich kids are smart, but the amount of opportunities does play some effect on the collective whole IMO.

Being black doesn't mean that you grew up poor, without one parent, or in an urban community just like being white doesn't mean you grew up rich, with two parents and swimming at country clubs. I think Jalen worded what he wanted to say wrong. I think that he felt that guys like Grant Hill were what the mainstream media wanted black athletes to look and play like, and I think he felt that America saw the Fab 5 as what was wrong with black America. Now, whether that's how he felt or if that is the right mind-set to have I'm nobody's judge. But that's what I thought he was trying to get across, which would have sounded totally different. Probably still politically incorrect but different and less offensive to Grant Hill.

Chris Webber almost committed to Duke. Is he an Uncle Tom?

I believe Rose talked about the very different backgrounds that he and Webber came from. Private school v Public school was part of the conversation... but he made it pretty clear that Webber wasn't from the hood either.

I don't follow. What didn't work?

Chris wasn't "street". Ever. He was from the 'burbs, went to an elite level private basketball power in Detroit Country Day. Duke recruited him for the same reasons Rose was talking about in them recruiting Hill. He just longed to prove he could have been from the hood. Outside of those two years in the Fab 5, he was exactly what Rose said he despised in Hill when he was 18...

Chris wasn't "street". Ever. He was from the 'burbs, went to an elite level private basketball power in Detroit Country Day. Duke recruited him for the same reasons Rose was talking about in them recruiting Hill. He just longed to prove he could have been from the hood. Outside of those two years in the Fab 5, he was exactly what Rose said he despised in Hill when he was 18...

Gotcha.

Pot calling the Kettle.............Well, you get the point.

Jason Whitlock with a strong rebuke of the Fab Five doc and particularly Jalen Rose.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/jalen-rose-anti-duke-message-misses-the-point-032111

Ironically I posted the same link over in the original Fab Five thread and was told by a poster that "Jason Whitlock is a hack and I can't acknowledge anything he writes." :lol:

Ironically I posted the same link over in the original Fab Five thread and was told by a poster that "Jason Whitlock is a hack and I can't acknowledge anything he writes." :lol:

:lol:

That feeling hasn't changed and it never will. I still won't click on the link. Jason Whitlock is a hack and I will never acknowledge anything he writes. I don't think he even believes half of the things he writes. He says things for shock value. He is a punk and an antagonist with a large forum to antagonize. I have told him so much in multiple emails also. He and Skip Bayless are the two most irrational media personalitites I have ever seen or heard in my life.

If I was on fire and Jason Whitlock put it out I would set myself back on fire.

It I was hitchhiking and Jason Whitlock pulled over to give me a ride I would keep walking.

If Jason Whitlock wrote the eulogy for my father I would boycott the funeral.

If Jason Whitlock was my son's teacher my son would transfer to another school.

If Jason Whitlock and my wife were classmates/friends we would get divorced.

If Jason Whitlock moved into my neighborhood we would move out.

If Jason Whitlock has an iPhone I may switch to Android. And that is saying a lot.

If Jason Whitlock was a Boyle County Rebel I'd become a Danville Admiral.

If Jason Whitlock became a Bowling Green Purple I'd become a Warren Central Dragon.

If Jason Whitlock cheered for Duke I would cheer for UNC.