Zeke Pike named to the 2012 US Army All American Bowl

I've never heard of Towles grandfather. The only thing that i know, is after watching both of them play I would take Towles over Pike. Majority of the time when Pike's name is mentioned it's usually before or after his fathers.

You have never heard of Jim Bunning? Try Google..

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware of Piike's past, I just don't want this to turn into another slamfest of a gifted high school athlete.

While I hate to see any teenage kid get criticized on here or any other message board, Zeke is the best person to prevent a slamfest from occurring by the way he conducts himself. He obviously knows he's under a microscope.

With all my heart, I hope that Zeke matures and can learn to deal with situations that don't go his way. In my opinion, Zeke has the physical skills to play in the pros someday. But to play QB in the pros, you have to have not only the skills but the right demeanor and attitude also. You have to remain calm when all else is going to hades in a basket. Think of the best pro QBs and you think remaining calm in the face of the storm.

A wise old man from Charleston, SC once told me as I sat on the porch of his home on the Battery having a bourbon with his son: the higher the monkey climbs the tree, the more he shows his backside (or a word to that effect). Here's hoping that Zeke will learn to control how much of his backside he shows as he progresses up the levels of football.

While I hate to see any teenage kid get criticized on here or any other message board, Zeke is the best person to prevent a slamfest from occurring by the way he conducts himself. He obviously knows he's under a microscope.

With all my heart, I hope that Zeke matures and can learn to deal with situations that don't go his way. In my opinion, Zeke has the physical skills to play in the pros someday. But to play QB in the pros, you have to have not only the skills but the right demeanor and attitude also. You have to remain calm when all else is going to hades in a basket. Think of the best pro QBs and you think remaining calm in the face of the storm.

A wise old man from Charleston, SC once told me as I sat on the porch of his home on the Battery having a bourbon with his son: the higher the monkey climbs the tree, the more he shows his backside (or a word to that effect). Here's hoping that Zeke will learn to control how much of his backside he shows as he progresses up the levels of football.

Well said LN. An athlete's temperament is a key component to his success, especially at the QB position.

Good luck to him the 2012 bowl game next winter. Let's hope he represents N.Ky well.

Well said LN. An athlete's temperament is a key component to his success, especially at the QB position.

Good luck to him the 2012 bowl game next winter. Let's hope he represents N.Ky well.

Along these lines and further confirmation that temperment can have a big impact, did anyone catch the comment about Matt Latos, the Padres great young pitcher, in the Reds' game last night? The announcers spent quite a bit of time talking about the issues Matt Latos has in controlling his temper. They mentioned that despite how talented Latos is, he dropped all the way to the 12th or 13th round in the baseball draft because of the concerns scouts had over his problems controlling his temper. Talent wise, he should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I think Zeke is getting better in controlling his over the top competitiveness but it obviously is still a work in progress.

You have never heard of Jim Bunning? Try Google..

There should be Bunnings all over the place , after all , Jim Bunning had eleven (11) children. I went to grade school in the fort and his oldest daughter was in my class. ( Just a little FYI ).

Zeke will represent Ky well in the bowl , I'm sure .

Along these lines and further confirmation that temperment can have a big impact, did anyone catch the comment about Matt Latos, the Padres great young pitcher, in the Reds' game last night? The announcers spent quite a bit of time talking about the issues Matt Latos has in controlling his temper. They mentioned that despite how talented Latos is, he dropped all the way to the 12th or 13th round in the baseball draft because of the concerns scouts had over his problems controlling his temper. Talent wise, he should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I think Zeke is getting better in controlling his over the top competitiveness but it obviously is still a work in progress.

I did hear them talking about that , and thought it was very interesting , to say the least. Funny thing about that was , Zeke Pike came to mind ,when I heard that.

I did catch that & my thoughts went quickly to Zeke. Not sure what the lesson here is - that temper will cost you money, that if you have talent organizations will be patient with your temper, that temper can be tamed enough to have success? Maybe all of these & others?

I know that Tony Stewart's temper/competitiveness has gotten him into plenty of trouble with NASCAR & sponsors, but the bottom line is he's a winner and has been able to keep it under control enough to build a tremendous career. It's been done before. Zeke won't be breaking fresh ground if he can do the same.