5 of the 8 State Finalist are Private. Does Propostion 20 hold water?

kissinger

Why not just take the "need based tuition" or Scholarship out of the private schools and lets see what happens. If so many of yours athletes are paying to go to that school then what would be the problem. This would make everyone i imagine much happier and make it easier to deal with. Plain and simple, if any kid cant afford a private school education out of pocket without help then let them go to the publics with everyone else whether their are an athlete or not. ;) Now what would be wrong with that idea?

So your solution would be "Let them eat cake"

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KY wasn't loaded with D1 players either...

As for the KY team, they were not loaded but they also do not field a team to play versus IN or OH either. We have what we have when players decide whether to play or not. I would venture to say that there is a very small number each year that decide not to play due to risks of injury for either side.

Would you also apply this theory to college financial aid, for both athletes and non-athletes? If so, every college in America would probably have around 100-200 students due to students who couldn't afford tuition not being able to attend.

I am for college financial aid and scholarships to athletes WHILE THEY ARE IN COLLEGE. This is high school, every kid in America has an equal opporunity to make whatever they want to out of themselves whether they attend a private or public school. Need Based Tuition is great just like the United States Welfare and SSI system if USED CORRECTLY. But yet ppl like to take advantage of the system and get gain out of it will others suffer. Americans are the worst in the world to take a good thing and make it into something bad. Maybe some of the Need Based Tuition goes to kids that dont play ahtletics but maybe it doesnt either. I would just love to see the kids that get turned down for need based tuition and the ones that recieve it. Can anyone tell me how many kids with learning disablilities recieve aid at Trinity versus a 6'3" 275 lbs kid that has a football background? If someone from Trinity or any other private school could submit some good hard information of things like this we could all be happy and get over this. But the fact is no one wants to submit info like that just the financial aid processes of there school. I think that the "need based tuition" is a great thing just as welfare is but is being abused by people to get personal gain out of it while the others suffer.

I am for college financial aid and scholarships to athletes WHILE THEY ARE IN COLLEGE. This is high school, every kid in America has an equal opporunity to make whatever they want to out of themselves whether they attend a private or public school. Need Based Tuition is great just like the United States Welfare and SSI system if USED CORRECTLY. But yet ppl like to take advantage of the system and get gain out of it will others suffer. Americans are the worst in the world to take a good thing and make it into something bad. Maybe some of the Need Based Tuition goes to kids that dont play ahtletics but maybe it doesnt either. I would just love to see the kids that get turned down for need based tuition and the ones that recieve it. Can anyone tell me how many kids with learning disablilities recieve aid at Trinity versus a 6'3" 275 lbs kid that has a football background? If someone from Trinity or any other private school could submit some good hard information of things like this we could all be happy and get over this. But the fact is no one wants to submit info like that just the financial aid processes of there school. I think that the "need based tuition" is a great thing just as welfare is but is being abused by people to get personal gain out of it while the others suffer.

You have no clue. Have you bothered to read how financial aid is awarded? I suspect that there are a fair number of kids with learning disabilities that receive aid since there is no way for the school to know whether the needy student is a 6'3" honor student linebacker or a 5'1" special needs student at the time the decision is made.

My question is, isn't this just going to give the schools that are private (right now in the finals) a state trophy every year??? They really don't have much competition, to win the state title in almost every class, it is decided by ONE game... to win the state with public and private combined takes 5 weeks, compared to 1, at the most 2.

Let's just take a look at that ...

Owensboro Catholic turned their program around just a few years ago after Coach Mike Lawson (who previously was an assistant at Lexington Catholic) moved there as head coach (didn't he make "Coach of the Year" after that?).

Coach Lawson is now at Marshall County where their record went from 2-8 in 2004 to 9-2 this year.

I'd like to think that Lawson is a great coach who's building a good track record wherever he goes. Do you suppose that might be it? What were you thinking?

Exactly, Lawson is an awesome coach. Did anyone happen to notice that the five private schools are Catholic schools? I think that says something about the discipline in the the catholic systems. Maybe that is the answer to some of the advantages...

maybe more public schools should look at the way the catholic systems run their schools...to a certain extent. It is a thought. Discipline...

To fully investigate this Prop 20 debacle....you cannot just use football stats....Where are the basketball, baseball finals....stats....Now does the Prop 20 argument hold water? I think not.

Private championships since 1990

Baseball: 3

Boys Basketball: 2

Girls Basketball: last 5 champs

Boys Soccer: 4 between '90-'01

Girls Soccer: 7 lost in finals between '92-'01 (S. Oldham has dominated with 6 titles in that time period).

Football

4A: 11 since '89 soon to be 12

3A: 5 since '87 all CovCath

2A: 0 since '90 unless Fort Knox is private.

1A: 0 since '90

maybe more public schools should look at the way the catholic systems run their schools...to a certain extent. It is a thought. Discipline...

That's what it is. :rolleyes: Discipline is why St. Xavier and Trinity have over 100 players on their teams while other schools do not. That may be the most ridiculous public/private argument I've read.

Have you ever heard of something called the Privact Act? I know I don't have access to any of those records from the third-party financial aid company as I'm sure you don't either. Or maybe you have some proof of your claims that you could submit to us????

Please, enlighten us with your knowledge!

Private championships since 1990

Baseball: 3

Boys Basketball: 2

Girls Basketball: last 5 champs

Boys Soccer: 4 between '90-'01

Girls Soccer: 7 lost in finals between '92-'01 (S. Oldham has dominated with 6 titles in that time period).

Football

4A: 11 since '89 soon to be 12

3A: 5 since '87 all CovCath

2A: 0 since '90 unless Fort Knox is private.

1A: 0 since '90

Thank you for doing the research.....a lot of difference when you take out football....huh??

We have covered this and covered this....Here it is one more time...please pay attention....an outside agency..in my case an out of town agency...decides on tuition assistance based on tax returns, pay check stubs, etc....No where on any of the forms that I filled out or my parents filled out does it ask for height, weight, sports interests etc.... My brothers got aid and did not play any sports!!! along with many, many students.

Thank you for doing the research.....a lot of difference when you take out football....huh??

I don't see volleyball or boys swimming on there.

(Standard disclaimer: I am not in favor of a split. I'm just interested in full intellectual honesty and disclosure.)