5 of the 8 State Finalist are Private. Does Propostion 20 hold water?

kissinger

Do you know how states like Tennessee have seen their Finals attendance decline IN A MAJOR WAY since the split? Did you notice they can no longer beat KY in the All Star Game? Sounds like a GREAT plan for them, and they actually have the population to attempt such a blind stunt...

I believe a majority of the Tn. kids that were all-state skip the all-star game because of fear of injury(not something I agree with by the way).And I have attended the Tn. state finals in recent years! looked like a good crowd to me!

Besides it's about the competition on the field, not butts in seats!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe a majority of the Tn. kids that were all-state skip the all-star game because of fear of injury(not something I agree with by the way).And I have attended the Tn. state finals in recent years! looked like a good crowd to me!

Besides it's about the competition on the field, not butts in seats!

If it was about competition, there wouldn't BE a split. Simple as that. KY is large enough to support 4 classes, and four only. 54 teams in each class is small to begin with, but hey, might as well remove the biggest competition if they stand in the way. Fans in the stands is a reflection of the QUALITY of competition. From 20,000+ fans to under 10,000. What's that tell you about a football crazed state and the quality of the games now played???

Can you explain why all these schools, which are the main private or catholic schools in their area are doing so well? I dont think that we need to take the privates out of competition with the public schools. Just need to make revisions like taking "need based tuition" out. If the kids parents cant afford it, then dont let them go to the private schools period. The publics do not offer "need based tuition" to kids that live outside their boudries and neither should the privates be allowed to either. I went to a public school and am doing very well in my life so the kids that cant afford a private school education i think will be okay. If a kids parents can afford to send their child to a private school and pay all that money out then that is fine just take the "need based tuition" which is just another word for a scholarship out of the private schools and lets see what happens to the playing field.

JC Alunmi - Your comment about abolishing need based financial aid at private schools is quite unbelievable. I attended Trinity in the late 70's. I came from a single parent home with a mother who did everything she could to keep me in private school. I credit Trinity High School with keeping me on the right path. I mopped floors everyday after school and worked a summer job to help with my tuition. Tuition was $750 back then. My mother wanted me to be raised in a christian based environment with the least opportunity for problems. Trinity made that happen. By the way I played football only my Freshmen year. My point is it is a free country and Trinity is a private school. Trinitys' success in football comes from the hard work of the parents, students, teachers & coaches. If you abolish need based assistance - you create a situation where only the rich can attend private school. Today anyone can attend Trinity - To bad the public schools cannot figure out that to win at football consistently you have to have a desire. Not a group of parents the comes along every 4 years and complains but ones who are around for 40 years and see to it that the program is better than it was the last year.

Let me ask you this GRID. How do Danville, Boyle and Mayfield do it year after year? Closed enrollment, and non private? How can they manage to get 70+ out for the team???

Exellent point GT!They are great examples of winning programs! The nearest private school is far enough away they don't lose a lot of kids and the entire community are rabid football fans who support them well.If they are in fact closed enrollment they are definitley the benchmark!However they are the exception not the rule.My sons school is close to Lexington and some of the best ATHLETES go to LexCath,some of the best STUDENTS go to Sayre. :thumb:

Public schools...I have one name for you if you dont believe success is possible. Chuck Smith
At Boyle County, Chuck Smith didn't have to compete for a state championship with private-school powers that had twice the enrollment of some of the teams in their class.

Was it an alarming statistic just one short year ago when six of the eight schools in the finals, and three out of four winners, were public schools? What made the alarm go off only in 2005? Why didn't the private schools raise hell last year?
Because less than 10 percent of the football-playing schools in Kentucky are private. With 25 percent of the participants and champions, the private schools were far exceeding their "quota" ...

Let me ask you this GRID. How do Danville, Boyle and Mayfield do it year after year? Closed enrollment, and non private? How can they manage to get 70+ out for the team???
When have Danville and Mayfield had 70+ guys in the program?

Do you know how states like Tennessee have seen their Finals attendance decline IN A MAJOR WAY since the split? Did you notice they can no longer beat KY in the All Star Game?
It's a real stretch to link the all-star game results to the public-private split ... I think it's more coincidence than anything else.

If it was about competition, there wouldn't BE a split. Simple as that. KY is large enough to support 4 classes, and four only. 54 teams in each class is small to begin with, but hey, might as well remove the biggest competition if they stand in the way. Fans in the stands is a reflection of the QUALITY of competition. From 20,000+ fans to under 10,000. What's that tell you about a football crazed state and the quality of the games now played???

OK,OK, we agree to disagree!Besides,my typing skills are too slow to keep up with you!As long as we respect each others point of view it's all good! :thumb:

Before anyone jumps on this, please think about it. Is all this debate really about private schools alone? Or does it involve a multitude of things. For example, this week's football finals do not involve a single true public county districted school. Five private schools, and three independent districts. And the three independents have great trade agreements with other local school districts to exchange students outside of the old census boundaries that the law used to create independent districts.

So before we go casting out all of the privates into one boat, is that really this issue? And look at a couple of the other teams that lost in the semifinals. Bardstown Independent. Somerset Independent. DeSales (another private). And that's just in the smaller classes. And don't forget Belfry who may not have all of its students living permanently in the state of Kentucky.

Just fodder for discussion. The point being that if you end up with a separate championship, when do you also have a division for the 76 independent school districts. And not to mention the Male/Manual/Butler/Central situation which has been debated on here before.

Independent school systems are basically the same as non-independent school sytems except there is only one school within the system instead of more than one. County schools also accept out of district students and schools such as Somerset, Bardstown, etc. abide by the same rules as these county school systems.

There are a lot of misconceptions concerning independent school systems.

You mean AAA Mason County, closing in on AAAA; with the biggest venue in the state?? Great example?? Hint--Try using the old Rose Hill with Mayo & Co. or UHA!!

Thanks for the help!I made a OJ Mayo reference on another thread!Mason Co.probably has less than half the MALE students of ST.X or Trinity,but that is one b-ball crazy town!The point I and others were trying to make was the enrollment #'s were not as important to basketball as they are to football. :thumb:

Thanks for the help!I made a OJ Mayo reference on another thread!Mason Co.probably has less than half the MALE students of ST.X or Trinity,but that is one b-ball crazy town!The point I and others were trying to make was the enrollment #'s were not as important to basketball as they are to football. :thumb:

Agreed, but you've got to admit it's a little easier to get a good team from 1500 vs. 200? Don't forget the larger schools can allow kids to "specialize" in their sport as well. I primarilly support a smaller school with about 200 boys in 9-12; and most all of our top athletes play 2-3 sports. Tough to devote the time to be the absolute best in any given sport without training year-round!!

Personally I think it's great for the kid however, to experience multiple sports; since few are going to even the next level. Enjoy HS sports as much as you can!!

Agreed, but you've got to admit it's a little easier to get a good team from 1500 vs. 200? Don't forget the larger schools can allow kids to "specialize" in their sport as well. I primarilly support a smaller school with about 200 boys in 9-12; and most all of our top athletes play 2-3 sports. Tough to devote the time to be the absolute best in any given sport without training year-round!!

Personally I think it's great for the kid however, to experience multiple sports; since few are going to even the next level. Enjoy HS sports as much as you can!!

We ARE on the same side! My sons attend a public 3A school, but the district provides the barest of essentials,and I might add, has pathetic community support!We field a relatively small number of players considering our enrollment, and have lots of kids playing multiple sports and mutiple positions.

I just want all the kids that play sports to be able to play and enjoy it, and its definitely more fun if you play similar competition and actually walk on a field or court with a glimmer of hope of winning!First and foremost let's ALL

remember it is about the kids and them alone!I wished someone would actually do a state wide poll of high school athletes and ask THEM what they want to do if anything about reclassing!Sports are for the kids, not us.Let their majority rule! :dancingpa

So if it goes Public/Private one day (which is a real letdown to KY High School football that has really been on the rise the last 10+ years) how in the world is it fair for a school the size of say Owensboro Catholic to be in a Division with a Trinity or St X?

Independent school systems are basically the same as non-independent school sytems except there is only one school within the system instead of more than one. County schools also accept out of district students and schools such as Somerset, Bardstown, etc. abide by the same rules as these county school systems.

There are a lot of misconceptions concerning independent school systems.

Thank you for clarifying. I work in an independent system and the only difference here is we have a separate school board from the county system and one high school. I'm not sure how independent schools got lumped in with the privates...BIGGGGGGGG difference. Our school still has a defined boundary that identifies those who make up our student population.