Is Drinking Forbidden in the Bible?

I agree with this. If I get drunk (whether intentionally or not), but don't make any bad decisions, why is it a sin? I haven't caused any harm to anyone, haven't done anything I may regret or be embarrassed about, where's the sin?

The easy answer is because Scripture repeatedly condemns excessive drinking, drunkenness, or whatever you want to call it.

The not-so-easy-reason (and this is just my thinking) is because drunkenness causes a person to lose self-control, or it significantly weakens the will. You give up control of your mind to a substance, drug, etc.

Don't know if that helps, but that's how I would answer your question.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. If I get drunk (whether intentionally or not), but don't make any bad decisions, why is it a sin? I haven't caused any harm to anyone, haven't done anything I may regret or be embarrassed about, where's the sin?

Plus, heavy drinking often times leads to lot's of prayer :puke:so I say drink up.

I was misquoted by the thread starter...In the Bourbon thread the poster asked if we drinked Bourbon, I said "NO, In fact I'm against all hard drinking, but you didn't ask that question, sorry to hog on here." I never mentioned the Bible in any way or form. I was trying to be funny.

Then someone asks me to define hard drinking..."I said opposite of "Soft" again no mention of any thing in the Bible. I said I WAS AGAINST IT, never used a verse. Thought I was being funny.

Then another poster got on me for coming onto the thread, remember I said I was sorry for doing so in the first thread...But he couldn't let it go. he said...you use your FLINSY RELIGIOUS REASONS about hard drinking...now where do I use anything scriptual?

Now I said I can find some verses about drinking and will, but that wasn't the issue. I was called out. And that wasn't fair.

Its really getting sad.

You weren't misquoted AL. You said you were against drinking alcohol, which is fine. It's your right to be against or for anything you chose. Then in a later post you said and I quote, "So, if you are asking for my input on hard drinking due to scripture let me know, I have a few."

I merely started this thread, so as to not continue to thread jack that thread, to ask you to provide those scriptures, because frankly I can't think of any that exist. That's it. No misquotes, no attacks on you, nothing but me simply trying to find scripture that supports being against alcohol. That's all. You take any posts questioning your posts as personal attacks, when in reality, none are, they're simply a differing opinion. That's what these places are for after all. To discuss issues and differing opinions.

If I could weigh in on this matter for a moment. Many have talked about "excessive" use of food, drink, etc.

I think the question worth asking is: Why am I drinking? Why am I eating these things?

In conversations with my brother-in-law once (an alcoholic who lives in denial) I told him that from my observation he stopped drinking alcohol a long time ago. Somewhere in his difficult life he started drinking his anxieties, his hurt, his pain, his anger, his frustration, and any other issue he was unwilling to deal with.

Excess is an issue in scripture. But the reason it is an issue (IMO) is because God cares about us as his creation.

A poster earlier asked if eating 15 cookies because she/he had a bad day was a sin I pondered that question. Many people don't drink their "issues" but choose to self-medicate them away through food, spending, sex, (insert binge addiction here) and alcohol would be a part of that.

This is where it hurts us psychologically and can destroy our lives. And anything that destroys our peace (shalom) is a sin.

Sorry to maybe change the direction a little but thought I'd add some observations from another angle. :thumb:

Jim, I understand, we are cool, I was really trying to be funny, Mama said you just should stayed away. and for once she was right. (Funny)

Uk Fan, I was trying to be funny, didn't mention scripture until someone else did. Your thread makes it out I used scripture as a reason for not drinking. If I know some Bible I'd think I'd mention Jesus first miracle, Paul telling Timothy to use some wine for a sick stomach. Most of their meals had wine. It was used during festivals. I choose not to use it because I just don't want/need it. It has nothing really religious at all. I've seen lots of drinking in the 60s/70s before I actually knew Jesus, my Mom died early due to Hard drinking. She was 53

Again, I'm sorry I went into the thread. I was trying to be funny.

If I could weigh in on this matter for a moment. Many have talked about "excessive" use of food, drink, etc.

I think the question worth asking is: Why am I drinking? Why am I eating these things?

In conversations with my brother-in-law once (an alcoholic who lives in denial) I told him that from my observation he stopped drinking alcohol a long time ago. Somewhere in his difficult life he started drinking his anxieties, his hurt, his pain, his anger, his frustration, and any other issue he was unwilling to deal with.

Excess is an issue in scripture. But the reason it is an issue (IMO) is because God cares about us as his creation.

A poster earlier asked if eating 15 cookies because she/he had a bad day was a sin I pondered that question. Many people don't drink their "issues" but choose to self-medicate them away through food, spending, sex, (insert binge addiction here) and alcohol would be a part of that.

This is where it hurts us psychologically and can destroy our lives. And anything that destroys our peace (shalom) is a sin.

Sorry to maybe change the direction a little but thought I'd add some observations from another angle. :thumb:

Very well reasoned and stated. Thoroughly appropriate to this thread and subject matter IMO. :thumb:

The sin IMO is in turning to material goods, be they food, drink, drugs, sex, money, etc. instead of to God, the only true source of peace, love, power, security or fulfillment.

There is also a component to opening doors spiritually that are not meant to be opened to our adversary... leading to our bondage and ultimately to our destruction. At the very least, sinful patterns/habits make us ineffective in fulfilling our talents and purpose.

Sin... as simply as I can put it, is anything that separates us from God and his holiness.

Very well put, Hatz.

UK here are some verses, man you making me work. Leviticus 10:9 Aaron and decendents forbidden to drink.

Numbers 6:2:3 Nazirite Vow

Ephesians 5:18 Be filled with the spirit, not with wine.

Proverbs 23:20 Do not carouse with drunkards.

Proverbs 20:1 leads to brawls

Isaiah 28:1-7 Leads to incapaciation

Genesis Noah got drunk and Lots daughgters got him drunk to have babies with him.

Titus 2:3 older woman, be not heavy drinkers, also for Elders, deacon, Pastors.

Eziekiel 44:21 Priests must not drink before entering the Court yard.

Hosea 4:11 Robs people of clear thinking.

Proverbs 21:17 Wine is not the way to Riches.

Proverbs 23:29 Brings affliction.

Joel 1:5 leads to shame.

UK here are some verses, man you making me work. Leviticus 10:9 Aaron and decendents forbidden to drink.

I love you Larry, I truly do. I certainly dont intend to quench your zeal.

To be completely transparent and accurate, Leviticus 10:9 says:

"You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come."

A sincere investigation of all scripture as a whole will reveal permission for Aaron and the priesthood to partake of wine in moderation away from their duties in the Temple.

Not to pounce on RockMom... especially since we are getting along so swimmingly in this thread... but I do not see where intent to drink alcohol has any bearing upon whether or not alcohol is present in Aaron's bloodstream as he enters into the presence of God. He would be smitten "whether he intended to sin" or not.