Ballard Vs. Holmes Postponed?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt that much if anything happens to the Holmes players who went to the dance instead of showing for the game. They should be held accountable for their decisions though IMO. Not sure what first year coach will do though. I imagine if he does kick them off the team, there will be quite a few folks in Covington looking to make this his last year! Heck, Cov Cath would have to forfeit their game against Beechwood every year as it always seems to be scheduled same day as the Notre Dame Dance!

The folks who I really feel sorry for though are all the Ballard folks, who had the senior day festivities thrown out at the last minute. I am sure there was a lot of time spent planning and preparing. Maybe even getting Grandma and Grandpa in from out of town to see their grandson play his last game at the High School.

If that's the case (and the way it was worded doesn't tell me definitively) then we've got a different situation.

OK. I have now been updated. Ixne the previous replies by me.

Life's about making choices and living with them. It's also about being accountable and upfront. You can't put your coach and team in a bad spot.

It is so easy to sit back and say that you should go play without the 2 seniors and other other 3 players. If you had a chance to keep it close maybe, but when you are playing one of the top teams in the state, what would either team get from that?

I would discipline those 2 boys though! Especially if they had a history of problems.

It is so easy to sit back and say that you should go play without the 2 seniors and other other 3 players. If you had a chance to keep it close maybe, but when you are playing one of the top teams in the state, what would either team get from that?

I would discipline those 2 boys though! Especially if they had a history of problems.

To my knowledge, both are pretty good students and aren't trouble makers. Bad judgement on their part but I can assure you they have no history of problems.

Walter, wasn't it just a couple of years ago that Holmes did play a few games with a depleted roster, when some of the players got suspended for problems at LexCath

07 season that they won the region and went on to lose in the state semi's against Scott Co. The group that stepped in and battled Covcath to a 4 pt loss at Covcath and lost to HC in OT went on to the state title game the following season.

That situation and this situation are completely different though. Not even fair to compare, IMO.

I really like Walter's approach to this one. Again, these are kids, and believe it or not, they really owe hardcore fans of their teams (or the sport in general) little to nothing. These are student-athletes, notice that student comes before athlete. If they feel strongly enough to risk punishment to take part in a school activity, which as Walter said, is something that they'll never have the opportunity to go back and do over, then that's their prerogative.

Last year, it was people complaining about Scott County's players not showing up for tryouts with the Kentucky All-Star team due to scheduling conflicts with their prom and graduation. What's going to be next?

Not saying that a dinner and dance are on the same level as academic functions like graduation and the like, but I would really like to know how everyone would feel about a player wanting/needing to miss a practice or game to study, focus on college prep activities, and/or prioritize the school's academic team over their basketball program.

I don't know all the details of the situation, and feel like my opinion on this would hinge on the amount of advance they were actually capable of providing the coaching staff with (within reason).

Nonetheless, what I hope to have communicated here is that student-athletes have plenty of things to balance, and a few dead periods in the summer simply aren't going to cut it sometimes if they want to maximize their utility as a student-athlete to the fullest.

If they chose to not play the day of the game they should turn in their uniforms. Does anyone disagree ?

I will support Coach Booher regardless of his decision.

Agree with you on this one Clyde. I doubt few, if any, truly know the whole story here, and it seems to be something that's more of an internal, team issue that will be handled as such.

I really like Walter's approach to this one. Again, these are kids, and believe it or not, they really owe hardcore fans of their teams (or the sport in general) little to nothing. These are student-athletes, notice that student comes before athlete. If they feel strongly enough to risk punishment to take part in a school activity, which as Walter said, is something that they'll never have the opportunity to go back and do over, then that's their prerogative.

Last year, it was people complaining about Scott County's players not showing up for tryouts with the Kentucky All-Star team due to scheduling conflicts with their prom and graduation. What's going to be next?

Not saying that a dinner and dance are on the same level as academic functions like graduation and the like, but I would really like to know how everyone would feel about a player wanting/needing to miss a practice or game to study, focus on college prep activities, and/or prioritize the school's academic team over their basketball program.

I don't know all the details of the situation, and feel like my opinion on this would hinge on the amount of advance they were actually capable of providing the coaching staff with (within reason).

Nonetheless, what I hope to have communicated here is that student-athletes have plenty of things to balance, and a few dead periods in the summer simply aren't going to cut it sometimes if they want to maximize their utility as a student-athlete to the fullest.

Well said. I think we all tend to forget how demanding high school sports can be with the way coaches want players to focus year round on their sport. I don't think it used to be as stressful years ago. When football ended in the fall the athletes went to basketball and in the spring played baseball. They forgot about the previous sport until the following year. Today's coaches demand that players of their sport focus year round with weight training and various camps. The kids can get burned out pretty easily, especially the ones that still try to play multiple sports. Let them have some fun and enjoy themselves, especially the seniors.