Ballard Vs. Holmes Postponed?

Here's the story I got.

2 seniors didn't show up because of the senior dinner/dance. I realize some of you think this is bogus, but let's remember these are still high school KIDS and their last year of high school...something they'll never get back again. Let's not forget that kids miss in baseball all the time for senior retreats and prom, so this shouldn't be made as big of a deal as some of you are making it.

Do you seriously believe this is a valid excuse?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the story I got.

3 guys had legit reasons for not showing up. BJ Coston, Dasean Peterson, and Carlos Mullins-Evans were all at home in bed with some sort of illness.

Coston, a sophomore, starts JV and sees 10-15 mins per game in varsity.

Peterson, another sophomore, is strictly varsity but is usually first man off the bench.

Mullins-Evans, sophomore, starts Jv and rarely sees varsity time.

Here is how those players affect things though. Holmes JV team only has 7 or 8 players. Without Coston and Mullins-Evans, Holmes JV team would've been left with 5 or 6 players. Peterson can't play JV in their absence because he is at home sick as well.

2 seniors didn't show up because of the senior dinner/dance. I realize some of you think this is bogus, but let's remember these are still high school KIDS and their last year of high school...something they'll never get back again. Let's not forget that kids miss in baseball all the time for senior retreats and prom, so this shouldn't be made as big of a deal as some of you are making it. On the flip side though, Coach Booher has said he doesn't know if he'll let these two seniors back on the team because of this incident. So before you all bash the coach and say he's ducking someone, get the facts straight. The game is re-scheduled and Holmes may be without these two guys anyways.

Lastly, Eli Reese, another senior, is also out with an injury. That is 6 players in all. Coach Booher is smart for re-scheduling this game and he's obviously prepared to play without some guys if he is debating whether or not 2 of them will still be with the team. If they're not with the team, some sophomores and younger guys will get some great experience.

Thanks for the update.:thumb:

I don't necessarily agree with all of your conclusions, but at least we have the Holmes side of the story.

Here's the story I got.

3 guys had legit reasons for not showing up. BJ Coston, Dasean Peterson, and Carlos Mullins-Evans were all at home in bed with some sort of illness.

Peterson, another sophomore, is strictly varsity but is usually first man off the bench.

Here is how those players affect things though. Holmes JV team only has 7 or 8 players. Without Coston and Mullins-Evans, Holmes JV team would've been left with 5 or 6 players. Peterson can't play JV in their absence because he is at home sick as well.

2 seniors didn't show up because of the senior dinner/dance. I realize some of you think this is bogus, but let's remember these are still high school KIDS and their last year of high school...something they'll never get back again. Let's not forget that kids miss in baseball all the time for senior retreats and prom, so this shouldn't be made as big of a deal as some of you are making it. On the flip side though, Coach Booher has said he doesn't know if he'll let these two seniors back on the team because of this incident. So before you all bash the coach and say he's ducking someone, get the facts straight. The game is re-scheduled and Holmes may be without these two guys anyways.

Lastly, Eli Reese, another senior, is also out with an injury. That is 6 players in all. Coach Booher is smart for re-scheduling this game and he's obviously prepared to play without some guys if he is debating whether or not 2 of them will still be with the team. If they're not with the team, some sophomores and younger guys will get some great experience.

Who were the seniors, they only have a few to start with, Gray, Mayfield (injured) and Hayes besides Reese?

Here's the story I got.

Who thinks this will happen?

I do feel for the boys that wanted to go to the senior dinner dance.

And that teaches them .... what? That no-calls/no-shows are acceptable in the world beyond basketball and HS? The dinner/dance was not something that was scheduled the day before. Players need to be held accountable, players need to let the coach know way before a conflict. As far as someone mentioning retreats and proms? Are you kidding us? They miss after informing the coach well in advance, they don't just throw it onto the coach on game day.

Kinglouie: I'll believe it when I see it.

And that teaches them .... what? That no-calls/no-shows are acceptable in the world beyond basketball and HS? The dinner/dance was not something that was scheduled the day before. Players need to be held accountable, players need to let the coach know way before a conflict. As far as someone mentioning retreats and proms? Are you kidding us? They miss after informing the coach well in advance, they don't just throw it onto the coach on game day.

Kinglouie: I'll believe it when I see it.

Do we know when the seniors informed the coach that they would be going to the dance?

Holmes should be grateful that Ballard was so understanding.

Well there may be a reason, It was Ballard's last home game, they want to honor their seniors, as this game was supposed to be their Senior Night. I am guessing taking the W in a forfeit would have been more of a possibility if it wasn't for the Sr night.