State Wide Smoking Ban Proposed

Plato

I didn't take the time to read every post in this thread, but add me to the group of folks who hate smoking and being around it.

I won't go to a bar in NKY because the majority of them allow smoking and I hate coming home smelling like an ash tray.

I enjoy playing pool but won't go to Billiard Hutch off 25 anymore because the last time I went, it was so smokey I couldn't even breathe.

Which is exactly the point. You do not like it, so you do not go. It is the establishments' loss, not yours. Simply because you do not go to a place, it does not mean you do not go somewhere else that offers a smoke free alternative.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not complaining, I am responding to a thread. Why should you be forced to go to someplace that is your second choice just so someone can participate in a habit that they don't HAVE to do? I am not holier than thou, I am saying the "rights" door in this situation swings both ways.
If there is a ban then the door swings only one way.

What if there are no establishments in my community that are smoke free . . . I am then left without a choice.

I still don't see how someone's right to smoke trumps another person's right to breathe. That seems pretty simple to me.

Wrong. Your choice is not to go. If enough people share in your sentiment, the establishment will accordingly adjust.

It is not about comparing one's right to breathe smokey air or clean air. Both right's should be dictated by the owner of the business, not by smokers or non-smokers.

Edited by bugatti

What if there are no establishments in my community that are smoke free . . . I am then left without a choice.

I still don't see how someone's right to smoke trumps another person's right to breathe. That seems pretty simple to me.

Invest your money in a smoke free establishment,just like the business owner did that allows smoking.

BTW Ace I hope you don't own a automoble unless it is all electric.

This was a current example that is why I used it. And we can do it all day, I agree but people are always complaining about smokers rights, smoke has a negative effect on the non-smoker. What is easier to do, pick a third option place to eat or not smoke. I think the one that is 'put out' less is the smoker. Simply get it done before going in, or after you leave. Don't smoke for the hour you are in a restaurant so EVERYONE has the choice to enjoy the atmosphere with the fear of an asthma attack.
I'm a non-smoker (except for an occasional cigar and I can't stand cigarette smoke) and my wife has asthma and my son has had asthma since he was a child. We have always been able to find plenty of places to eat that don't bother them. In this day and age, there are an awful lot of places to go that are non-smoking because that is how the proprietors want it because that's how their customer base wants it. There is simply no good reason to force all establishments to do it one way and one way only. You don't need to have every restaurant smoke free any more than they need to have every restaurant allow smoking. It's really just that simple.

I didn't take the time to read every post in this thread, but add me to the group of folks who hate smoking and being around it.

I won't go to a bar in NKY because the majority of them allow smoking and I hate coming home smelling like an ash tray.

I enjoy playing pool but won't go to Billiard Hutch off 25 anymore because the last time I went, it was so smokey I couldn't even breathe.

Bugatti nailed it, it's your choice and the owners will make their decision based on their customers. That's really the ONLY right way to handle it.

Wrong. Your choice is not to go. If enough people share in your sentiment, the establishment will accordingly adjust.

It is not about comparing one's right to breathe smokey air or clean air. Both right's should be dictated by the owner of the business, not by smokers or non-smokers.

It's so refreshing to see others that understand the way a capitalist society is supposed to work. Edited by bugatti

Nobody has still told me how a smokers right to smoke outweighs the non-smokers right to breathe. When you are in a small town, there are NO non-smoking establishments unless a ban has been set forth. So the smokers "rights" force me and my family to stay home. How is that right.

We've had a smoking ban in Florida since 2003.

The law here prevents smoking in government buildings and establishments that serve food. Bars that do not serve food, are exempt from the ban. Private clubs, such as the American Legion, are also exempt.

Nobody has still told me how a smokers right to smoke outweighs the non-smokers right to breathe. When you are in a small town, there are NO non-smoking establishments unless a ban has been set forth. So the smokers "rights" force me and my family to stay home. How is that right.

It's not about smokers and non smokers. It's about a privately owned restaurant being allowed to make the choice on whether or not they allow smoking. I'm a non smoker, I hate the smell, second hand smoke often times gives me bad headaches. Yet I still manage to make it through the each day of each week without having to be around smoke. It's not that hard, and if for some reason I end up in a situation where I have to be around smoke for a couple of minutes then that sucks but I'll survive and it's not going to ruin my day. If someone can't wrap their head around that concept then it's not worth arguing it to them because they just don't care about any one but themself.

You still haven't told us how a non-smokers right outweighs the smokers right. As I pointed out, my family is made up of non-smokers (that includes my daughter) and we manage to breathe even when we go to restaurants that allow smoking.

Are the vast majority of people in your town smokers? If not, seems to me that the majority of you could persuade many of the owners to switch to a either a non smoking establishment or one with a smoking area that non-smokers wouldn't have to walk through. Has anyone even tried to do so, or is the town you live in waiting for the government to intervene?

It's not about smokers and non smokers. It's about a privately owned restaurant being allowed to make the choice on whether or not they allow smoking. I'm a non smoker, I hate the smell, second hand smoke often times gives me bad headaches. Yet I still manage to make it through the each day of each week without having to be around smoke. It's not that hard, and if for some reason I end up in a situation where I have to be around smoke for a couple of minutes then that sucks but I'll survive and it's not going to ruin my day. If someone can't wrap their head around that concept then it's not worth arguing it to them because they just don't care about any one but themself.

Weak, weak, weak!

The owners of businesses are already required to follow many laws that are in the best interest of the general public that they serve and the employees who work in those businesses. Smoking bans across the nation are becoming law of the land due to the know and proven health hazards of breathing second hand smoke!

Strange, but I have never met a smoker who hopes their child smokes one day or demands that his child be allowed to smoke in their classroom or that the teacher in their child's classroom, should be allowed to smoke while teaching their child.

You still haven't told us how a non-smokers right outweighs the smokers right. As I pointed out, my family is made up of non-smokers (that includes my daughter) and we manage to breathe even when we go to restaurants that allow smoking.

Are the vast majority of people in your town smokers? If not, seems to me that the majority of you could persuade many of the owners to switch to a either a non smoking establishment or one with a smoking area that non-smokers wouldn't have to walk through. Has anyone even tried to do so, or is the town you live in waiting for the government to intervene?

Someones right to simply walk into a restaurant and not be accosted with a health hazard surely outweighs someone else's right to participate in a nasty habit.

By the way, didn't you once "complain" about section 8 housing in a neighborhood? Why complain when they have every RIGHT to build and lease as they see fit and it has no effect on your HEALTH. You can always choose to move.

Someones right to simply walk into a restaurant and not be accosted with a health hazard surely outweighs someone else's right to participate in a nasty habit.

By the way, didn't you once "complain" about section 8 housing in a neighborhood? Why complain when they have every RIGHT to build and lease as they see fit and it has no effect on your HEALTH. You can always choose to move.

Apples to oranges. Section 8 housing drives down the value of my home AND it most certainly CAN have an effect on my HEALTH. The funny part of this is you equate choosing another restaurant with moving or your neighborhood being ruined as section 8 has done to so many neighborhoods. Nice try though. :lol:

I gave you simple solutions to this, you just would rather impose your will on everyone instead of finding some common ground.