State Wide Smoking Ban Proposed

Plato

Making smoking illegal... now there is a pretty good idea.

If the business owners would have really made smoking and non smoking sections more separated than a half-wall with some plants on top where the smoke still filled the entire room then this type of ban wouldn't be as supported. I could live with some stringent requirements for smoking sections that included proper ventelation, full wall separation and not having the non smokers walk through the smoking section to get to a table. But I would think that would be fairly expensive for business owners.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we're not talking about public places, schools, federal building etc. SURE I'm all for those being smoke free, hell I'm even all for every where being smoke free, but I don't think a PRIVATELY owned restaurant being forced to make it smoke free, not unless they're going to make smoking illegal like marijuana. That's the only way I think it would be right to make a state wide smoking ban.

Why do privately owned businesses have to follow any laws then? Should they just be grandfathered in to the laws that were in place when they started the business?

Making smoking illegal... now there is a pretty good idea.

If the business owners would have really made smoking and non smoking sections more separated than a half-wall with some plants on top where the smoke still filled the entire room then this type of ban wouldn't be as supported. I could live with some stringent requirements for smoking sections that included proper ventelation, full wall separation and not having the non smokers walk through the smoking section to get to a table. But I would think that would be fairly expensive for business owners.

We seem to have found some common ground. While I don't agree about making smoking illegal I do agree with what you say about keeping the sections separate and not having to walk through the smoking area. Compromise is a beautiful thing.

Bugatti nailed it, it's your choice and the owners will make their decision based on their customers. That's really the ONLY right way to handle it.

Based on this then, businesses should be able to tell the minority they don't like that they cannot eat at their restaurant and all of those laws prohibiting discrimination is wrong.

We've had a smoking ban in Florida since 2003.

The law here prevents smoking in government buildings and establishments that serve food. Bars that do not serve food, are exempt from the ban. Private clubs, such as the American Legion, are also exempt.

And has the very fabric of Florida been ripped asunder by such a law?

You still haven't told us how a non-smokers right outweighs the smokers right. As I pointed out, my family is made up of non-smokers (that includes my daughter) and we manage to breathe even when we go to restaurants that allow smoking.

Are the vast majority of people in your town smokers? If not, seems to me that the majority of you could persuade many of the owners to switch to a either a non smoking establishment or one with a smoking area that non-smokers wouldn't have to walk through. Has anyone even tried to do so, or is the town you live in waiting for the government to intervene?

And when my daughter and wife leaves, they are sick.

When a smoker leaves a restaurant they have not been able to smoke in, they simply have a craving to the drug of their choice.

My dad was the recipient of a blessed gift of a heart transplant.

He was a smoker from his early teens till he received the heart. One of the conditions was that he would refuse to smoke after receiving the heart.

He railed on such policies of banning smoking and the violation of his choices and what the nonsmokers were pushing on him.

Now that he is a nonsmoker, he admits that he had NO CLUE what being in a smoke filled room was like. He said being around it after 5 years of not being smoking and he is amazed.

He didn't realized that you can smell it on people even when they think that you can't. He is amazed that it affects his breathing by being in a restaurant that does not have a non-smoking section. He is shocked and admits that we were right (and him admitting someone else was right is a HUGE step) that smoking affects non-smokers more than he ever realized.

My dad was the recipient of a blessed gift of a heart transplant.

He was a smoker from his early teens till he received the heart. One of the conditions was that he would refuse to smoke after receiving the heart.

He railed on such policies of banning smoking and the violation of his choices and what the nonsmokers were pushing on him.

Now that he is a nonsmoker, he admits that he had NO CLUE what being in a smoke filled room was like. He said being around it after 5 years of not being smoking and he is amazed.

He didn't realized that you can smell it on people even when they think that you can't. He is amazed that it affects his breathing by being in a restaurant that does not have a non-smoking section. He is shocked and admits that we were right (and him admitting someone else was right is a HUGE step) that smoking affects non-smokers more than he ever realized.

Your preaching to choir. I was a smoker for 15 or so years. Haven't touched one in over 6. I can't stand the way I smell when I leave a bar that allows it. However, no one put a gun to my head and made me go into the bar, I chose to go in. Is it really that hard to understand? If you don't want to smell it or be around it then don't go in a place that allows it. Why the need for the law? If you say "well there aren't any non smoking places where I live", then open one. Put your hard earned money on the line and open your own resturant or bar that's non smoking.

Based on this then, businesses should be able to tell the minority they don't like that they cannot eat at their restaurant and all of those laws prohibiting discrimination is wrong.

Don't try and draw that extreme of a parallel. Apples and anchovies. Discrimination in a public place is illegal.

No person is saying restaurants or any type of business should be exempt from following any law or basic code, but at what point does it stop especially when there are alternatives?

Your preaching to choir. I was a smoker for 15 or so years. Haven't touched one in over 6. I can't stand the way I smell when I leave a bar that allows it. However, no one put a gun to my head and made me go into the bar, I chose to go in. Is it really that hard to understand? If you don't want to smell it or be around it then don't go in a place that allows it. Why the need for the law? If you say "well there aren't any non smoking places where I live", then open one. Put your hard earned money on the line and open your own resturant or bar that's non smoking.

Hey, great idea. If smokers don't want to eat at a place that doesn't let them smoke, than stay home. EXACTLY, what I was told on this site couple years back when this discussion was held when NKY was looking into it.

I found the logic interesting.

Smokers do something that prohibits others from enjoying their meal and will lead to some being immediately sick because of being allergic to it, and that is okay.

Non-smokers do nothing that prevents no one from enjoying their meal and will not lead anyone to being sick and that is wrong.

I am sure there is a logic in there somewhere.

Don't try and draw that extreme of a parallel. Apples and anchovies. Discrimination in a public place is illegal.

No person is saying restaurants or any type of business should be exempt from following any law or basic code, but at what point does it stop especially when there are alternatives?

Okay, you agree that we can stop with the debate than that government shouldn't be able to tell private establishments what they can do and not do.

It is done everyday and all the time through discrimination and public health issues.

Hey! This one will be even more fun to debate!

Bill would ban smoking in cars with children.

We were in a parking lot recently and noticed that the parents of young children got into their vehicle while continuing to smoke,” Stumbo said. “It was a cold day, and they had no intention of lowering the windows. She and I couldn't believe it.”

He said they both felt there should be a law to protect the youngsters.