State Wide Smoking Ban Proposed

Plato

Apples to oranges. Section 8 housing drives down the value of my home AND it most certainly CAN have an effect on my HEALTH. The funny part of this is you equate choosing another restaurant with moving or your neighborhood being ruined as section 8 has done to so many neighborhoods. Nice try though. :lol:

Their building the home and leasing to someone effects you, just as someone smoking affects me. It drives my insurance costs up, my dry-cleaning bill and it may cause me to have to go to a more expensive restaurant so it effects my economics. Not only that it hurts the person who is doing it. Section 8 housing helps the person who lives there.

Smoking is more of an inalienable right than a place for someone to live?? Weird.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their building the home and leasing to someone effects you, just as someone smoking affects me. It drives my insurance costs up, my dry-cleaning bill and it may cause me to have to go to a more expensive restaurant so it effects my economics. Not only that it hurts the person who is doing it. Section 8 housing helps the person who lives there.

Smoking is more of an inalienable right than a place for someone to live?? Weird.

Like I said, you're comparing apples to oranges. Dry cleaning? Really? No one I know has to have their clothes dry cleaned just because they walked into a restaurant that allows smoking. Insurance? People that overeat, don't exercise, drink alcohol are examples of things that increase insurance costs. Should we ban buffets? How about alcohol? Should we make it mandatory that everyone gets a select amount of exercise daily? Where do people draw the line?

I never said any right trumps another, you're the one doing that. Section 8 housing is extremely problematic and drives down neighborhoods and can ruin your investment. People have a right to live someplace, yes. Someplace they can afford. Should I be allowed to live in an extremely expensive neighborhood at the same cost that I live in my current neighborhood? No way!

Back to what the tread is about, the smoking ban. Can't you agree to some compromise instead of forcing everyone to do it only one way. I've been to plenty of restaurants that have viable solutions to accommodate both smokers and non-smokers. Surly the area you live is able to come to some mature ways of solving the problem that both parties can agree with. Why have an attitude that the government has to step in?

Weak, weak, weak!

The owners of businesses are already required to follow many laws that are in the best interest of the general public that they serve and the employees who work in those businesses. Smoking bans across the nation are becoming law of the land due to the know and proven health hazards of breathing second hand smoke!

Strange, but I have never met a smoker who hopes their child smokes one day or demands that his child be allowed to smoke in their classroom or that the teacher in their child's classroom, should be allowed to smoke while teaching their child.

Funny that nobody argued this. I'm all about business owners but why put others at a health risk? People should have the decency to go outside anyway knowing what we know about second hand smoke. Since people choose not to protect the health of others the government should step in. It's that simple.

I'm legally allowed to drink at a bar. I'm legally allowed to drive. Why can't I drive home legally after drinking 20 beers at my favorite establishment? Who cares if I put someone else in harms way? I'm really only choosing to put myself in harms way unless I hit someone else.

Funny that nobody argued this. I'm all about business owners but why put others at a health risk? People should have the decency to go outside anyway knowing what we know about second hand smoke. Since people choose not to protect the health of others the government should step in. It's that simple.

I'm legally allowed to drink at a bar. I'm legally allowed to drive. Why can't I drive home legally after drinking 20 beers at my favorite establishment? Who cares if I put someone else in harms way? I'm really only choosing to put myself in harms way unless I hit someone else.

Because the person you could hit and kill never had a choice in the matter. There aren't roads that are non drunk driving and drunk driving. If a bar/resturant allows smoking you don't have to go in if you don't want to. I don't see what's so hard about this to understand.

Nobody has still told me how a smokers right to smoke outweighs the non-smokers right to breathe. When you are in a small town, there are NO non-smoking establishments unless a ban has been set forth. So the smokers "rights" force me and my family to stay home. How is that right.

If there are no non-smoking establishments and you want one then open one. Simple as that. If I own a bar why should I be forced to cater to you? Shouldn't I be allowed to choice my target customer base? Whether that's smokers or non-smokers the choice should be mine.

Because the person you could hit and kill never had a choice in the matter. There aren't roads that are non drunk driving and drunk driving. If a bar/resturant allows smoking you don't have to go in if you don't want to. I don't see what's so hard about this to understand.
That makes two of us.

I don't like the smell of some purfume and colognes. They can cause health issues. Should we ban those in public buildings as well?

A few examples:

ACETONE (in: cologne, dishwashing liquid and detergent, nail enamel remover)

On EPA, RCRA, CERCLA Hazardous Waste lists. "Inhalation can cause dryness of the mouth and throat; dizziness, nausea, incoordination, slurred speech, drowsiness, and, in severe exposures, coma." "Acts primarily as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant."

BENZYL ACETATE (in: perfume, cologne, shampoo, fabric softener, stickup air freshener, dishwashing liquid and detergent, soap, hairspray, bleach, after shave, deodorants)

Carcinogenic (linked to pancreatic cancer); "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

BENZYL ALCOHOL (in: perfume, cologne, soap, shampoo, nail enamel remover, air freshener, laundry bleach and detergent, vaseline lotion, deodorants, fabric softener)

"irritating to the upper respiratory tract" ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."

g-TERPINENE (in: cologne, perfume, soap, shaving cream, deodorant, air freshener)

"Causes asthma and CNS disorders."

More.

You could choose to stay home or get your travelling done before 7 pm when its less likely there would be drunk drivers on the roads. Make no mistake about it if you're on the roads after 11 pm you're sharing the roads with drunk drivers. They're all supposed to be non drunk driving.

You did however miss my point and you didn't chime in on the fact that they have to follow other laws that haven't been around forever. Has it always been illegal to drink and drive? Luckily for us at some point lawmakers thought enough about the health and well being of the general public that they made it illegel to drink and drive. Those laws are to protect us. Good thing they weren't worried about a persons "right" to drink and drive. I really don't see what's so hard to understand either.

If there are no non-smoking establishments and you want one then open one. Simple as that. If I own a bar why should I be forced to cater to you? Shouldn't I be allowed to choice my target customer base? Whether that's smokers or non-smokers the choice should be mine.

If you own a bar/restaurant are you legally allowed serving rat poison in your food? It's your choice right? Who should get to tell you what rules and laws you want to follow.

If I can open up a place RTS can move out of his/her neighborhood.

If you own a bar/restaurant are you legally allowed serving rat poison in your food? It's your choice right? Who should get to tell you what rules and laws you want to follow.

I think serving Rat poision in food is Illegal if it is served in a restaurant or in your own home...It is legal for a restaurant to serve a 1000+ calorie burger with mega amounts of fat that can give you diabetes and a heart attack!

I don't like the smell of some purfume and colognes. They can cause health issues. Should we ban those in public buildings as well?

A few examples:

ACETONE (in: cologne, dishwashing liquid and detergent, nail enamel remover)

On EPA, RCRA, CERCLA Hazardous Waste lists. "Inhalation can cause dryness of the mouth and throat; dizziness, nausea, incoordination, slurred speech, drowsiness, and, in severe exposures, coma." "Acts primarily as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant."

BENZYL ACETATE (in: perfume, cologne, shampoo, fabric softener, stickup air freshener, dishwashing liquid and detergent, soap, hairspray, bleach, after shave, deodorants)

Carcinogenic (linked to pancreatic cancer); "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

BENZYL ALCOHOL (in: perfume, cologne, soap, shampoo, nail enamel remover, air freshener, laundry bleach and detergent, vaseline lotion, deodorants, fabric softener)

"irritating to the upper respiratory tract" ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."

g-TERPINENE (in: cologne, perfume, soap, shaving cream, deodorant, air freshener)

"Causes asthma and CNS disorders."

More.

in huge quantities this is true, and in asthmatics heavy perfume can cause an attack. However ONE cigarette causes damages and while a couple of people may be wearing cologne in a restaurant, if it is a smoking establishment, the smoke will hang heavy.

I think serving Rat poision in food is Illegal if it is served in a restaurant or in your own home...It is legal for a restaurant to serve a 1000+ calorie burger with mega amounts of fat that can give you diabetes and a heart attack!

Was it always illegal?

I can't be affected by what others chose to eat in a restaurant though. End of story.