State Wide Smoking Ban Proposed

Plato

Non-smokers have complained for years and years about the smoking sections and the lack of separation between smoking and non-smoking sections. In other words, business owners chose not to listen to their customer base so now those customers are speaking up and taking the matter to a higher authority.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-smokers have complained for years and years about the smoking sections and the lack of separation between smoking and non-smoking sections. In other words, business owners chose not to listen to their customer base so now those customers are speaking up and taking the matter to a higher authority.

Really, so non-smokers quit giving their money to the restaurant owners? Funny because everytime I was in a restaurant that allowed smoking the non-smoking section was full. That is the only way to get your point across. If the owner decided they losing too much money by allowing smoking I guarantee you they would stop allowing it on their own.

Really, so non-smokers quit giving their money to the restaurant owners? Funny because everytime I was in a restaurant that allowed smoking the non-smoking section was full. That is the only way to get your point across. If the owner decided they losing too much money by allowing smoking I guarantee you they would stop allowing it on their own.

I think you are giving some business owners too much credit. The guys I'm talking about owned a couple of hole in the wall places that you could hardly walk by on the street without choking. You had no idea how good the food was because there's no way to taste or smell it. The non smoking section was one wall of booths and the rest of the 1 room place had ash treys. I think even the smokers got tired of all the 2nd hand smoke.

I can drink in a restaurant or bar that has a license and serves alcohal. I can drink on most private property with their permission. I can give permission to someone of legal age permission to drink on my private property. I should also be able to give or deny permission to smoke in my establishment or on my private property, based on how I think it will affect me and my business. If someone doesn't like that I allow or deny smoking they don't have to come in. No one is being forced to come into an unsafe environment, they choose to or not to.

This has never been a smoker vs nonsmoker issue to me, it has always been one group (nonsmokers) trying to exert their will over another group (business owners).

If I own a bar am I allowed serving beer to you after 2:30 am in NKY? Why not? I own the bar and I choose to sell beer. Why couldn't I be open 24 hours a day? It is legal to drink after 3 am right?

Yeah, we patronize 99% of the time places like OCharley's that has a complete separate smoking section or Bob Evans that is completely smoke free.

You couldn't be more wrong. One of my good friends is deathly allergic to peanuts. She can't be anywhere near anything with peanuts in it, or she gets rashes, has trouble breathing and even needs to carry an eppy (sp?) pen at all times, just in case.

So based on your arguement, they shouldn't be allowed to serve anything with peanuts in it at restaurants, correct?

Define near. If she is 5 feet away from a Reese Cup, she gets an allergic reaction?

Define near. If she is 5 feet away from a Reese Cup, she gets an allergic reaction?

It's hit or miss. I've seen her have an allergic reaction when simply being in the same room, or in the same car. I've also seen her be able to make it through an entire Reds game without incident (normally she only lasts 4-5 innings before it's gets too much to bear).

It's hit or miss. I've seen her have an allergic reaction when simply being in the same room, or in the same car. I've also seen her be able to make it through an entire Reds game without incident (normally she only lasts 4-5 innings before it's gets too much to bear).

Wow. That is something. Never heard of one that extreme.

I know in schools, especially elementary, they have to be real careful on all of those parties they have on what is being brought in.

If I own a bar am I allowed serving beer to you after 2:30 am in NKY? Why not? I own the bar and I choose to sell beer. Why couldn't I be open 24 hours a day? It is legal to drink after 3 am right?

Again, no person is denying restaurants are not subject to regulations, but at what point is the line drawn?

Wow. That is something. Never heard of one that extreme.

I know in schools, especially elementary, they have to be real careful on all of those parties they have on what is being brought in.

Yeah, it's pretty scary really. I've been around her when she's had to use the eppy pen, and it was pretty terrifying stuff.

Again, no person is denying restaurants are not subject to regulations, but at what point is the line drawn?

Finally, someone gets the real point. This I can agree on and then an honest debate can happen.

It is not that we can't infringe on the owner's right to private property but rather what bugatti has stated above.

I think you are giving some business owners too much credit. The guys I'm talking about owned a couple of hole in the wall places that you could hardly walk by on the street without choking. You had no idea how good the food was because there's no way to taste or smell it. The non smoking section was one wall of booths and the rest of the 1 room place had ash treys. I think even the smokers got tired of all the 2nd hand smoke.

And what percentage of restaurants does a place like that make up? 2? Dig deep enough and you find an extreme example for anything.

Yeah, we patronize 99% of the time places like OCharley's that has a complete separate smoking section or Bob Evans that is completely smoke free.

You have. Guess what your money alone isn't going to do it. It will take the majority of non-smokers to get it done.