State Wide Smoking Ban Proposed

Plato

You can do both those things very easily. Go to dinner at smoke free establishments. Never seen a store/mall that allows you to smoke in it before. :confused:

Used to be allowed.

And hopefully, both smokers and nonsmokers will have the FULL choice of where they choose to go eat. Both will now be able to go out and eat at any restaurant they choose without health consequences.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do both those things very easily. Go to dinner at smoke free establishments. Never seen a store/mall that allows you to smoke in it before. :confused:

The bolded is the ironic part of one side of the argument.

How dare you ask us to give up our freedom to go to a restaurant and smoke but we will easily ask you to do the same.

Smoke free restaurants does NOTHING to prevent smokers from going to a restaurant and eating a meal.

But the opposite is not true. Smoke DOES PREVENT non-smokers who are allergic to it from going to a restaurant and eat.

One side's position DOES infringe on the other's ability to go out to eat.

The other side's position DOES NOT infringe on the other's ability to go out to eat.

Used to be allowed.

And hopefully, both smokers and nonsmokers will have the FULL choice of where they choose to go eat. Both will now be able to go out and eat at any restaurant they choose without health consequences.

You already do have a FULL choice. You can choose to eat at Establishment A, a place that allows smoking, or Establishment B, a place that does not. If you choose Establishment A, you have no right complaining about the smoke. Likewise for the smoker, if they choose Establishment B, they know full well, they'll have to wait until leaving to light up.

Also, if a place allows smoking, they'll have both a smoking and a non-smoking section. I've never once picked up even a hint of smoke while sitting in a non-smoking section.

We already have a choice, unfortunately that's not enough for some people.

Another point, what makes you think that you have the right to tell me how to operate my business if I open up a restaraunt? As long as I'm doing nothing illegal, why do you have a right to tell me what I am or am not allowed to do?

You already do have a FULL choice. You can choose to eat at Establishment A, a place that allows smoking, or Establishment B, a place that does not. If you choose Establishment A, you have no right complaining about the smoke. Likewise for the smoker, if they choose Establishment B, they know full well, they'll have to wait until leaving to light up.

Also, if a place allows smoking, they'll have both a smoking and a non-smoking section. I've never once picked up even a hint of smoke while sitting in a non-smoking section.

Another point, what makes you think that you have the right to tell me how to operate my business if I open up a restaraunt? As long as I'm doing nothing illegal, why do you have a right to tell me what I am or am not allowed to do?

That last argument does not hold water as society has made a decision that if you are inviting the public onto your private property for business reasons than there are certain health and safety guidelines that you must abide by.

As we move along in time, we find out issues that arise and those health and safety guidelines change.

Bars, I don't think should be considered in this because that is the nature of the bar business.

But restaurants where families, people want to have a meal, that is all, should.

That last argument does not hold water as society has made a decision that if you are inviting the public onto your private property for business reasons than there are certain health and safety guidelines that you must abide by.

As we move along in time, we find out issues that arise and those health and safety guidelines change.

Bars, I don't think should be considered in this because that is the nature of the bar business.

But restaurants where families, people want to have a meal, that is all, should.

The bottom line is that smoke free laws does not prevent anyone from a health reason to not choose a restaurant.

Allowing smoking DOES prevent people for health reasons to choose a restaurant.

A smoker's choice DOES infringe on the rights of others to eat a meal without getting sick from the air while a nonsmoker's does not.

If the debate is on the infringement on individual rights, smoker's lose that battle.

It does hold water. As an owner of a business, I am allowed to do anything I want as long as it's within the law. Smoking is legal. Therefore, if I choose to allow people to smoke in my business, there's not a darn thing you can do about it, other than not frequent my establishment. And that's exactly the way it should be.

So what about places like Applebees, Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooters, Fridays, O'Charley's, etc. that are both restaurants and bars?

Every single time someone mentions that business owners have to follow laws and that laws change people ignore the argument. If I own a restaurant do I not have to follow current laws? If the laws change for any reason do I only have to follow the laws that were in place when I started my business? Are all the restaurant's in Ohio out of business? Isn't Lexington smoke free? I went to a couple restaurants down there that were packed. How is that if all the smokers won't go to those places?

It does hold water. As an owner of a business, I am allowed to do anything I want as long as it's within the law. Smoking is legal. Therefore, if I choose to allow people to smoke in my business, there's not a darn thing you can do about it, other than not frequent my establishment. And that's exactly the way it should be.

Law's change.

So, the law is changed that it is illegal to smoke in a restaurant and you have no problem with it based on your argument.

Glad to see we have you in agreement now that there is no problem with banning smoking in restaurants.:thumb:

Every single time someone mentions that business owners have to follow laws and that laws change people ignore the argument. If I own a restaurant do I not have to follow current laws? If the laws change for any reason do I only have to follow the laws that were in place when I started my business? Are all the restaurant's in Ohio out of business? Isn't Lexington smoke free? I went to a couple restaurants down there that were packed. How is that if all the smokers won't go to those places?

Someone mentioned earlier that Florida did this in 2002 or so. Not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that there are restaurants still in business in Florida. Maybe swamprat can confirm that for us.

So, the law is changed that it is illegal to smoke in a restaurant and you have no problem with it based on your argument.

Glad to see we have you in agreement now that there is no problem with banning smoking in restaurants.:thumb:

That's one of the biggest reaches I've ever seen. If it's a law, it's a law. You have to abide by it. Doesn't mean it's not government intrusion, or ignorant, because it's both. It's just another example of how pathetic our country is slowly becoming.

Abortion is legal, by law. Does that mean you have no problem with women being able to abort their babies if they see fit? Didn't think so.

Red - so the right to smoke out-weighs the right to complain. There is still that first amendment thing...

Green - The main reason I lean toward making smoking illegal rather than giving the option of "smoking sections" is that in the past the smoking section in many restaurants is only separated from the non-smoking section with a half wall with some plants on top. I stated above that if the law were to require separate rooms that were enclosed and self contained with separate ventelation and heating and air systems so that the non-smoking section was truly not smoke filled, I could go for that. It would be expensive, but it would give business owners a choice to make if they think it's worth it. I'd like a list of the places you're eating where there is true separation without a hint of smoke in the non-smoking section. I have some skepticism about that.

Purple - That's why the non smokers are fighting to make it illegal.

Red - so the right to smoke out-weighs the right to complain. There is still that first amendment thing...

Green - The main reason I lean toward making smoking illegal rather than giving the option of "smoking sections" is that in the past the smoking section in many restaurants is only separated from the non-smoking section with a half wall with some plants on top. I stated above that if the law were to require separate rooms that were enclosed and self contained with separate ventelation and heating and air systems so that the non-smoking section was truly not smoke filled, I could go for that. It would be expensive, but it would give business owners a choice to make if they think it's worth it. I'd like a list of the places you're eating where there is true separation without a hint of smoke in the non-smoking section. I have some skepticism about that.

Purple - That's why the non smokers are fighting to make it illegal.

So drinking should be illegal too, right? It definitely can be harmful to the one drinking as well as others.