Favorite Christian/Gospel Song?

MJAlltheWay24

It's definitely noise that pretends to be music. In 99% of cases I believe if they had the actual talent they would make more secular music or at least get played on secular stations. The "Contemporary Christian" genre is just a gimmick to get devout Christians to buy an inferior product because of it's "message".

And I'm not dissing the message---I could care less and have actually stated that I do like a lot of gospel music.

Well put. If I need the message bad enough, I'll listen to black gospel or Bluegrass gospel, where the performers have actual talent and creativity.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, Christian music has never been better than it was 1000 years ago. Gregorian Chant remains the most beautiful accompaniment to religious services ever devised.

However, the music arising just prior to the Italian Renaissance, running through that era and into the baroque period is also quite spectacular. The choir at my parish has done both Palestrina and Monteverdi during Mass recently.

Better Than A Hallelujah by Amy Grant

God loves a lullaby

In a mothers tears in the dead of night

Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

God loves a drunkards cry,

The soldiers plea not to let him die

Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries

God just hears a melody

Beautiful the mess we are

The honest cries of breaking hearts

Are better than a Hallelujah

The woman holding on for life,

The dying man giving up the fight

Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

The tears of shame for what's been done,

The silence when the words won't come

Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries

God just hears a melody

Better than a church bell ringing,

Better than a choir singing out,singing out.

We pour out our miseries

God just hears a melody

It's definitely noise that pretends to be music. In 99% of cases I believe if they had the actual talent they would make more secular music or at least get played on secular stations. The "Contemporary Christian" genre is just a gimmick to get devout Christians to buy an inferior product because of it's "message".

And I'm not dissing the message---I could care less and have actually stated that I do like a lot of gospel music.

I wouldn't paint them all w/ the same brush, but I would estimate that about 70% of Contemporary Christian music is lousy (and I am a committed Christian). To be fair, a great deal of the music doesn't get mainstream exposure because of its content. That's why, when a song like "I Can Only Imagine" does get secular air-time, you know it's a quality song.

Having said that, I would also say that about 60% of music from my lifetime has been lousy, regardless of the genre. And that is nowhere more evident than in the wasteland known as the country music industry.

I wouldn't paint them all w/ the same brush, but I would estimate that about 70% of Contemporary Christian music is lousy (and I am a committed Christian). To be fair, a great deal of the music doesn't get mainstream exposure because of its content. That's why, when a song like "I Can Only Imagine" does get secular air-time, you know it's a quality song.

Having said that, I would also say that about 60% of music from my lifetime has been lousy, regardless of the genre. And that is nowhere more evident than in the wasteland known as the country music industry.

I couldn't agree more. Mainstream country in particular is AWFUL. Mainstream rock isn't far behind either.

Definitely a good one!

If that's the tune you guys are offering up as the beacon light of the genre, it's a sad statement about the genre. That song makes me cringe with every whiny word the singer utters. Reminds me of bad emo music crossed with Celine Dion.

If that's the tune you guys are offering up as the beacon light of the genre, it's a sad statement about the genre. That song makes me cringe with every whiny word the singer utters. Reminds me of bad emo music crossed with Celine Dion.
From what I've heard it's the creme da la creme of the Contemporary Christian genre. :D

I'd actually say it's bad emo music crosed wtih Rascal Flatts.

Edited by formerkywrestler