Holy Cross Freshman Tournament

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cambell co v brossart game refs were horiable. Brossart shot over 50 free throws and that was half of there points.

Brossart was 22 of 47 from the free throw line. I felt the same as you did last night. I thought that there were a lot of calls that did not go the Camels way. However, I spoke with parents from both teams last night and most of them felt that the officiating was rather inconsistent on both ends of the floor. :idunno:

I was there for the entire game and not rooting for either team - I think the Campbell Co fans are way off base here. While the officiating wasn't great, and never is for Freshman games, they called fouls when there was obvious contact. The Campbell Co kids were overly aggressive the entire game. The coaches and fans were complaining about every call when it didn't go their way. They were clearly beaten by a better team. Brossart was even missing their point guard and missed 25+ free throws or this would have been a 30 pt game.

I know this is a heated rivalry between the two schools which I'm sure contributed to the aggressive style of play but Brossart is the better Freshman team and far better coached team IMO.

I was there for the entire game and not rooting for either team - I think the Campbell Co fans are way off base here. While the officiating wasn't great, and never is for Freshman games, they called fouls when there was obvious contact. The Campbell Co kids were overly aggressive the entire game. The coaches and fans were complaining about every call when it didn't go their way. They were clearly beaten by a better team. Brossart was even missing their point guard and missed 25+ free throws or this would have been a 30 pt game.

I know this is a heated rivalry between the two schools which I'm sure contributed to the aggressive style of play but Brossart is the better Freshman team and far better coached team IMO.

This sounds much more like the version I had heard. Talked to a couple of folks at the game, who said the freshmen Camels were totally out of control on both ends of the floor; and added a couple of "T's" for good measure. Brossart had beaten the Camels soundly in their earlier meeting, so the outcome wasn't surprising, even with their PG & leader scorer sitting with an injury. Sounds like the Camels decided to test the young Mustangs toughness, and they passed the teat??

Overly aggressive??? You are being very kind.

Brossart went to the free-throw line 47 times. That may be some sort of freshmen game record.

Defense is an art. Played by five players, working together to create turnovers, and limit high-percentage shots. Good defensive teams don't send their opponents to the free-throw line 47 times. They don't reach in and try to steal the ball on each possession, they don't leave their feet, they don't slash at shooters. Good defense is honed through hours and hours of teaching proper technique, endless shell game, and sometimes years of practice. A tradition of defensive excellence also helps. Our frehmen are light years from achieving defensive excellence, but at least are versed on the proper fundamentals, but as we saw in the Campbell County game, often get caught up in the style being played by our opponents and sometimes fail fundamentally. Campbell County went to the line 16 times, which is unacceptable by our standards.

I have one MAJOR complaint with the officials calling that ball game. We took three legitimate charges in that game which were called blocks. We were in great defensive position, had our feet planted and the Campbell players were out of control in all three instances. The one "charge" that was called was closer to a block than a charge. We work way too hard to have our guys stand in and take those charges to have some gutless rookie officials either not know who has initiated the contact, finds it easier to call the block rather than to reward the charge, or simply don't have the intestinal fortitude to call the charge.

Mr. CamelsHess you were outplayed, outexecuted, outcoached, and our fans could recognize what it was that we were trying to do offensively and defensively. They could see what our coaches are trying to achieve in their two hours of practice everyday. Can the same be said for your parents/fans, or are you going to spend you playing career blaming your shortcomings on bad officials, etc.???

If that is the case you are in for a long, frustrating, unfulfilled four years of high school basketball.

Mustang, I really like reading the game recaps and perspectives you report. I tend to lean toward your interpetation of the events when others give a different opinion.

The rant above is a little out of character. Not sure I can agree with you calling freshmen basketball officials "gutless rookies". Your better than that. Don't stoop to that level.

Overly aggressive??? You are being very kind.

Brossart went to the free-throw line 47 times. That may be some sort of freshmen game record.

Defense is an art. Played by five players, working together to create turnovers, and limit high-percentage shots. Good defensive teams don't send their opponents to the free-throw line 47 times. They don't reach in and try to steal the ball on each possession, they don't leave their feet, they don't slash at shooters. Good defense is honed through hours and hours of teaching proper technique, endless shell game, and sometimes years of practice. A tradition of defensive excellence also helps. Our frehmen are light years from achieving defensive excellence, but at least are versed on the proper fundamentals, but as we saw in the Campbell County game, often get caught up in the style being played by our opponents and sometimes fail fundamentally. Campbell County went to the line 16 times, which is unacceptable by our standards.

I have one MAJOR complaint with the officials calling that ball game. We took three legitimate charges in that game which were called blocks. We were in great defensive position, had our feet planted and the Campbell players were out of control in all three instances. The one "charge" that was called was closer to a block than a charge. We work way too hard to have our guys stand in and take those charges to have some gutless rookie officials either not know who has initiated the contact, finds it easier to call the block rather than to reward the charge, or simply don't have the intestinal fortitude to call the charge.

Mr. CamelsHess you were outplayed, outexecuted, outcoached, and our fans could recognize what it was that we were trying to do offensively and defensively. They could see what our coaches are trying to achieve in their two hours of practice everyday. Can the same be said for your parents/fans, or are you going to spend you playing career blaming your shortcomings on bad officials, etc.???

If that is the case you are in for a long, frustrating, unfulfilled four years of high school basketball.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mustang, I really like reading the game recaps and perspectives you report. I tend to lean toward your interpetation of the events when others give a different opinion.

The rant above is a little out of character. Not sure I can agree with you calling freshmen basketball officials "gutless rookies". Your better than that. Don't stoop to that level.

Agree! Probably a bit strong. Thanks for keeping me in line. Poor choice of words on my part. But it does describe perfectly the attitude of the officials who made no effort to get those particular calls correct. Other than that I thought that the duo called a fairly good game under the circumstances.

To simply call a well-taken charge a block, because of the reasons I cited, falls into some category. Apathetic, Impassive, Routine, Mundane, Undistinguished - Substitue the word of your choosing. Positive constructive criticism if they are willing to become more conscientious in that area in the future.

It doesn't make them bad people. Just _____________ rookie officials.