Holy Cross Freshman Tournament

Nope....Absolutely being taught. If I am an official, I am not, particularly HS official, that just makes me doubt what I am seeing. Wonder if it is just a good acting job....Not to mention, it might scare the _ _ _ _ out of me. Beat them to the spot, stay out from under the basket, you get the call. Do not need the theatrics.

Officials shouldn't let this confuse them. If you watch the defender the call often is easy. Not saying always but if you watch the defender instead of the offensive player it gets easier.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not being taught in our program, nor was it ever taught in our program since 1997. Before that, well, ...............................

Actually the freshmen who take the majority of the charges don't make a sound.

The varsity guys might interject a vocal accompaniment, as most do, but it is defintiely not taught. Our coaches talk about it and expect our players to stand in and take charges, but it is only even practiced one day during the pre-season.

OK, if you say so. But it is. Obviously, you are not paying attention at the freshman games....I have seen/heard it. My sources are good. No worries. I don't care either way...Just stating the facts. I will not comment on this again going forward. Just not that important to me. Just think that they should focus more on the defense/positioning than the theatrics. Just my opinion. That is what this forum is for....correct?

That was Walton's 8th grade team..... they are playing in Turkeyfoot's 8th grade tournament Thursday. Coming in top 4 in a freshman tournament was a good showing for that team.

Absolutely...Well done! Who did they beat? What were the scores of their games? Did they take any charge's? :lol:

OK, if you say so. But it is. Obviously, you are not paying attention at the freshman games....I have seen/heard it. My sources are good. No worries. I don't care either way...Just stating the facts. I will not comment on this again going forward. Just not that important to me. Just think that they should focus more on the defense/positioning than the theatrics. Just my opinion. That is what this forum is for....correct?

Since you never answered my original question, I'll have to assume you are a Brossart coach or ex-player, given your knowledge of their "inner teachings" on the theatrics of making noise while taking a charge. Having seen a few of their games over the years, and knowing many players, etc.; I know the Mustangs have always prided themselves on their defense, and often are among the leaders in "D" in the state. This said, I know for a fact that they pride themselves, as do all great defensive squads, on the lost art of setting up and taking a charge; and trust me, it takes some nerve to do so. I can honestly not recall any excessive noise, or often any at all; but rather have watched kids get up and brush themselves off and move on.

I think Mustang's point is that it's quite disappointing when a defensive player does what he's coached to do correctly, takes the punishment, and isn't rewarded with the call?? The wide open nature of today's game, with the highlight reels on ESPN showing the slam dunks; often ignore possibly the most courageous play in the game, and that's standing in and having a guy run over you while taking a charge!! Watch some BB games, and those of other defensive minded clubs, and you'll notice how often the player on "D" doesn't get the call in these situations. Doesn't make for sexy film on YouTube, but does win some ball games!!

Well, this thread has finally prompted me to start a thread on the charge - the play miscalled the most in basketball. I absolutely HATE watching guys slide or lean as the offensive player jumps and still get the charge called. If a player sets up and holds his position and gets the charge, I have no problem with it and applaud the defensive player. But at least 50% of the time the defensive player gets the charge called he actually slides or leans at the last second to create the contact and does not hold his position yet still gets the call. I will start a thread to discuss this in the college basketball forum so we don't hijack this thread.

It is not being taught in our program, nor was it ever taught in our program since 1997. Before that, well, ...............................

Actually the freshmen who take the majority of the charges don't make a sound.

The varsity guys might interject a vocal accompaniment, as most do, but it is defintiely not taught. Our coaches talk about it and expect our players to stand in and take charges, but it is only even practiced one day during the pre-season.

Well........................by your long pause in your comment I assume you are stating something was being taught you did not agree with. But then you go on to say "The varsity guys might interject a vocal accompaniment, as most do...." I can say that yes I have seen it taught to provide a sound when taking a charge although "yelling and screaming" certainly would not be part of that.........Rather it would be no different than a football player makign a sound as he makes a hit. Maybe teaching toughness was part of that process.

Seems like we have a huge difference of opinion with someone saying it is definitely taught and you saying definitely not taught. Do not see where it really matters. The point being the lost art of taking a charge was taught at Brossart for a long time with coaches doing it in fashions they deemed correct........even prior to 1997 or as you have stated so well in other posts prior to the "Brossart modern era" of 1997 to the current.

Final from Holy Cross Tourney. Brossart over New Cath 31-21. Congratulations to both teams on a great tourney!

I would like to add what a pleasure it was to see the varsity players from both teams there to watch their younger counerparts play for a championship. Kudos to both teams.

Well........................by your long pause in your comment I assume you are stating something was being taught you did not agree with. But then you go on to say "The varsity guys might interject a vocal accompaniment, as most do...." I can say that yes I have seen it taught to provide a sound when taking a charge although "yelling and screaming" certainly would not be part of that.........Rather it would be no different than a football player makign a sound as he makes a hit. Maybe teaching toughness was part of that process.

Seems like we have a huge difference of opinion with someone saying it is definitely taught and you saying definitely not taught. Do not see where it really matters. The point being the lost art of taking a charge was taught at Brossart for a long time with coaches doing it in fashions they deemed correct........even prior to 1997 or as you have stated so well in other posts prior to the "Brossart modern era" of 1997 to the current.

There were times prior to 1997 that we did indeed practice taking charges, and even incorporated it in our pre-game routine.

My comments were not critical, just a statement of fact. Since those days, with the exception of one day during the pre-season we do not physically "practice" taking charges. We preach it a lot, but don't practice it. I think our guys are as legitimately good as anyone out there from the top of the program to the bottom at taking legitimate charges.