Madison Southern job not posted...why?

BIG_BALLIN

Be sure of what you say about Yeast. Big name or not, he's a very good young coach. I know several people that are very close friends with him. According to them, he wants to find the right situation for longevity. He not looking for a 2 or 3 year job and then leave. He wants to build a program and coach his son (6th grade) through high school and watch his daughter (3rd grade) through high school as well.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just going by history, of what I remember. Didn't he start at Lincoln, leave right before the season, move to Marion, and now he is at Washington, and that has been within 4-5 years, maybe less. In football, more than any other profession there are, movers and shakers, some guys like to move around, some like to stay. I have no idea what he wants. What I do know is he was a heck of a college player, did okay in the NFL and played in Canada for a little while. If he does go to Madison Southern then good luck to him, it's a tough situation. He may be able to get more players out based on his big name. Only time will tell if he wants to stay there for a long time. I'm sure nobody goes into a new coaching situation and says I'm only going to be here for 2 years, things change and minds do as well.

I'm just going by history, of what I remember. Didn't he start at Lincoln, leave right before the season, move to Marion, and now he is at Washington, and that has been within 4-5 years, maybe less. In football, more than any other profession there are, movers and shakers, some guys like to move around, some like to stay. I have no idea what he wants. What I do know is he was a heck of a college player, did okay in the NFL and played in Canada for a little while. If he does go to Madison Southern then good luck to him, it's a tough situation. He may be able to get more players out based on his big name. Only time will tell if he wants to stay there for a long time. I'm sure nobody goes into a new coaching situation and says I'm only going to be here for 2 years, things change and minds do as well.

Well if he wants to be here for at least 5 or 6 years then by all means bring him to Madison Southern. Southern is a school full of country boys who have never played ball or have little experience playing sports in general. If he can come in here and change the mentality of the kids then parents and others will come around. A good coach helps change kids first and hopefully the wins will follow. Pep these kids up, make them feel like they are really a part of something and good things will happen. If Craig Yeast or anybody else can do it then I really don't care who the coach is!

People look at things differently, especially when they don't have all the facts. At Lincoln he was driving from Danville to Lexington for work and from Lexington to Stanford to coach everyday. Marion offered him a job in the high school building and as OC. He never fit in with the staff at Marion even though they went to semi-finals the year he was there and they scored a bunch of points. This past year he went to Washington to work with a friend. All I can say is Washington Co. had great offensive year and their best year overall in 13 years or so, while Marion saw their offensive production drop tremendously. Not to metion WC beat MC!

People move around in the coaching profession for reasons only they know. He has had success everywhere he has gone. His playing career helps him because it has allowed him to experience alot. He's a more than solid coach and great person as well that kids instantly relate to. In the coaching profession, I don't put too much stock into a coach moving around. It's a business and happens everyday!

I talked to Bill and he said he has no certain idea of who will be the new head coach. He said that it was up to Gilliam and that he and only he had someone in mind and that he (Bill) has not personally spoken to anyone about who the new coach will be as he (Bill) doesn't know either. He also isn't the current booster president anymore. He hopes that an anouncement will be made in the next week or so as he wants to know as well. I hope Southern gets a dandy of a coach and wish them and my young cousins luck in a succesful season....but it sounds like "The Man"(Gilliam) is the only man in the know. BTW...Bill is my cousin and after reading all of this stuff online himself, he thinks that all of this heresay is ridiculous.

I don't think Yeast holds a teaching certificate? Someone mentioned teams were good when he coached for them, they were pretty darn good before he good there. Timing is everything and it seems he has good timing. If I remember correctly he did not finish the year as OC at Marion?

I don't know if he finished as OC or not but Marion started the season in a spread look went 0-2 then went to the wishbone triple and made a good run. I would assume Coach Robbins took over the OC duties from that point on (wishbone change) but I could be wrong.

You are wrong! With Yeast Marion started in I-formation, not spread, which is what they done before he got there, make sure your facts are accurate. They lost first 2 games to Bell Co a team they had beat until they turned ball over 4 times, and lost to Nelson Co becaues of 6 turnovers. Yeast called every play all year. He went to wishbone because they didn't have a quarterback to throw and he couldn't get the ball to one of his best athletes on the team, he was a WR so he put that kid in the back field handed the ball it to him and coached him into being a running back. A kid with talent but never been a RB. I think that kid ended up running for over 1300 yards after not touching it the first two games. Read my earlier post, make sure you know all the facts and why he has been at 3 places in 3 years. WC was 3-8 year before he got there and MC couldn't get out of 2nd round before he went there. Timing is everything but so is good coaching.

So with the number of schools in the Danville/Lexington area he couldn't find a job at one of those schools?

I think he was just a volunteer assistant at Lincoln County. He went to Marion County on the advice of a friend from Harrodsburg who is the superintendent at Marion; I also think he was doing some type of work in the school, although not a teacher. I have no idea why he left for Washington. There are occasionally articles in the Danville paper about him and I want to think that he has finished he teaching certificate or is in the process of doing so. But again, I could be wrong.