Madison Southern job not posted...why?

BIG_BALLIN

The Adminstration of the school told Coach Brumley after the loss to Powell Co. that he would not be back after the year and that was week 5 of the season. So why is it that this job is not posted. I know that a few coaches have been contacted about the position but I thought 30 days notice had to be given. There IS talent walking these halls, but not to be rude, what head coach has gone on to do a thing after coaching at Southern. The answer is none. The examples are as follows.

Glen Green-retired from coaching after being let go.

Mike Elkin-never missed the playoffs while at Southern, retired to get away from adminstration, became an assistant at Lex Cath. for a year, and Lincoln Co, under Coach French.

Teddy Taylor-certainly not a good head coach.

Doug Carter-had several players go on to play college ball (Luke Stocker, Malachi Maxwell, Robert Dees just to name a few), two playoff wins, and always had numbers. His last few years numbers dwindle and he retired.

Dave Brumley-Hard worker, very discipline oriented, still young and I hope he gets a chance to coach again.

The reson why Southern has a hard time finding coaches that stay for long periods of time is because the people in Madison Co. are not football people. They are more worried with basketball and do not get people involved with football decisions who know a lot of football. When they do get football people in after a short period of time the initial support fades and things go south. The first move would be to post the job with the KHSAA, as of this morning it was not and its been open for three or more weeks.

Any thoughts...?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The information I have is the new coach is supposed to be announced either today or tomorrow. I know there is a booster's meeting scheduled for tomorrow night.

Really, if that is the case this is the best kept secret and pretty disrespectful not to have an official hiring process.

Really, if that is the case this is the best kept secret and pretty disrespectful not to have an official hiring process.

How so? All coaching jobs don't technically have to be "opened", especially if the hire is made from within (doesn't have to be opened at all).

I don't know how they didn't have a hiring process. I know they have interviewed several coaches. One a well known name, one from out of state, and several more. I'm not going to mention any names because some are still coaching at other schools.

The latest info that I have:

I was told this morning that the new coach will be announced at the booster club meeting tonight. For what it is worth, I was also told that everyone will be surprised with the new hire.

I am supposed to be contacted tonight right after the announcement and will let everyone know.

I don't know how they didn't have a hiring process. I know they have interviewed several coaches. One a well known name, one from out of state, and several more. I'm not going to mention any names because some are still coaching at other schools.

Yes, the job is open, but NO the job was never posted and from what I am hearing the Adminstration at Madison Southern has contacted many coaches who already are at other schools. First off that is fine if a coach who has a job applies for themselves, but I think its a little fishy that a school is trying to take other coaches from schools. Let me say this my kid has played at Southern for the last two seasons and I want the Eagles to go out and compete, but the way they are going about it just isn't the correct way IMO. Southern has contacted Pulaski Co., Rowan Co., and Paul Rains for this position. I'm not sure who the out of state person is but I hope this goes better than the way it is sounding.

GO EAGLES!!!

Yes, the job is open, but NO the job was never posted and from what I am hearing the Adminstration at Madison Southern has contacted many coaches who already are at other schools. First off that is fine if a coach who has a job applies for themselves, but I think its a little fishy that a school is trying to take other coaches from schools. Let me say this my kid has played at Southern for the last two seasons and I want the Eagles to go out and compete, but the way they are going about it just isn't the correct way IMO. Southern has contacted Pulaski Co., Rowan Co., and Paul Rains for this position. I'm not sure who the out of state person is but I hope this goes better than the way it is sounding.

GO EAGLES!!!

I have heard one other name you have not mentioned. Out of respect to my sources, the coach and his school I will not mention it. I think MS needs to understand it is more than just hiring a head coach. The whole community from pee wees, to parents to administrators have to unite and get behind this thing. There is no secret formula to success. It is a community thing where dads put their kids in pee wee football, they get developed throughout the years and by the time they get to HS the coaches can teach advanced skills. Where there is a strong HS program there is one of three things you can point to 1) They are a private schoool who can recruit, 2) They are a public school who has community resources that can offer jobs to dads, therefore, they can "recruit" families to their community regularly or, 3) What the majority of succesful HS programs have are well supported strong fundamental leagues (Pee Wee, Junior and Senior.) There needs to be a streamless transition from Pee Wee, Junior, Senior, Middle School to High School flow. Where you have it you have strong HS football, where you don't you have less succesful HS program. HS coaches should be very supportive of the little guys and actually show up to games to inspire more kids to play.

It is not rocket science and the secret between good coaches and bad ones is realizing that one of these three things are possibilities when they take a job. What is attractive about MS is that 2 of the three possibilties are there but it will take time.

Good Luck MS!

GO EAGLES!!!

Sounds to me like they are looking out for what's best for them, which, when it all boils down to it, that's all that matter. It's what we all do when it comes down to it, no sense in faulting it.

I have heard one other name you have not mentioned. Out of respect to my sources, the coach and his school I will not mention it. I think MS needs to understand it is more than just hiring a head coach. The whole community from pee wees, to parents to administrators have to unite and get behind this thing. There is no secret formula to success. It is a community thing where dads put their kids in pee wee football, they get developed throughout the years and by the time they get to HS the coaches can teach advanced skills. Where there is a strong HS program there is one of three things you can point to 1) They are a private schoool who can recruit, 2) They are a public school who has community resources that can offer jobs to dads, therefore, they can "recruit" families to their community regularly or, 3) What the majority of succesful HS programs have are well supported strong fundamental leagues (Pee Wee, Junior and Senior.) There needs to be a streamless transition from Pee Wee, Junior, Senior, Middle School to High School flow. Where you have it you have strong HS football, where you don't you have less succesful HS program. HS coaches should be very supportive of the little guys and actually show up to games to inspire more kids to play.

It is not rocket science and the secret between good coaches and bad ones is realizing that one of these three things are possibilities when they take a job. What is attractive about MS is that 2 of the three possibilties are there but it will take time.

Good Luck MS!

Well Trenchmaster I agree with you on about everything. The Pee Wee league is a disaster, money has come up missing, coaches won't run what Madison Southern or Berea for that matter run, and it will take work for that to be corrected. IMO there are good coaches left at Southern that I hope become assistants down there. Doug Carter (has been the head coach but has a boy down there), Dustin Busler, Derek Tipton, and Coach Colbert all are young guys that could really help the program out. The main thing I think is that the community needs to support this team. The city of Berea does and will always support Berea Community first I feel, but the county in general needs to get behind Southern to help make this what I feel could be a very good winning program.

GO EAGLES!!!