Mayfield 47 Hazard 6

Bluto

Close...but no dice. I think the Thorobreds of Newport Central Catholic would have something to say about that.

Not for this thread though. I'll start a "hypothetical matchup" thread when/if Newcath finishes off Owensboro Cath.

Most folks and even alot of the NKy contingent, including Guru, disagree with you...Please quit hijacking every thread tooting your "NCCs better than Mayfield" agenda and starting these same type threads trying to stir the pot. You made your claim and unfortunately for you, your point wasn't taken by most knowledgeable football people.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hazard played a very, very weak schedule....do it every year....must beef schedule up bigtime if going to compete on the state level in finals and semi-finals....

Hazard played Corbin, Breathitt and LCA. They beat last year's winners and beat them. Being state runner up is pretty dang good! Hazard seemed off in the game to me. They were driving the ball first two drives and those fumbles seemed to suck the air out of them.

Hazard played Corbin, Breathitt and LCA. They beat last year's winners and beat them. Being state runner up is pretty dang good! Hazard seemed off in the game to me. They were driving the ball first two drives and those fumbles seemed to suck the air out of them.

I agree storm. Hazard played a strong schedule for a 1a team. I also agree that those fumbles took the air out of them. Truthfully, there offense stopped themselves more than the Cardinal D in the 1st 2-3 Hazard possessions because they were moving the ball. Problem was, they had no answer for Mayfields offense. When the Cards were up 20-0, I was still uncomfortable with things because I knew they were very capable of getting right back in it. The real backbreaker was the 87 yd drive in the closing minutes of the 1st half. They kept Hazards offense off the field for 3 or 4 minutes, eating clock and keeping the Dawgs O off the field. That score really changed things and put Hazard in desperation mode and that pick and last score of the half in the final secs really took the air out. Then mayfield got the ball back to start the 2nd half and methodically moved the ball for another score and it was over. Hazard then had to be one dmentional and mayfields D really stepped it up a notch in the 2nd half. With that said, I really feel Hazard was a much better team than they showed, but, sometimes it snowballs and gets worse instead of better and thats what happened. Great year just the same and good luck next year. I have no doubt the dawgs will be back plenty in the coming years. Very good program and team with great community support.

Crittenden County was the toughest opponet Mayfield faced in 2010, I will give them that, followed by Beechwood and LHC. LHC and Hazard are so contraqsting in style I am unsure what to think of that matchup. I was unimpressed with the line play of Hazard, they were huge but that is about it.

The first two turnovers for Hazard were caused by Mayfield's D. Taylor Sullivan stripped the ball from Hazard's running back on one of the fumbles and I dont remember what player caused the other. The INTs were all on Hazard.

One of the fumbles was just dropped, not by a hit...

I think Hazard had by far the best offense of any of the 1a teams Mayfield played. They also had more overall playmakers and speed. I do think they had the weakest defensive line play and there corners got burned a ton of times, but, so did Beechwoods and LHCs, so, it's hard to say which was worse. They didn't get to 14-0 by not being a very solid team and there schedule was as good as Mayfields, if not better. Corbin made the semis in 2a, Breathitt made the quarter finals in 3a, Clay Co beat Scott Co like a drum and Scott was in the 6a semi's. They also beat a pretty good big school in Letcher Central and, of course, LCAs a solid ballclub, too. I'm sure, like Mayfield in 2009, that they're better than what they showed in that 1 game, but, as far as entire body of work throughout the year, I think they deserve to be #2, right behind the Cardinals. Beechwood at 3, LHC at 4, LCA at 5, Fairview at 6, Frankfort at 7, Pikeville at 8, KCD at 9 and Raceland at 10....

I think Hazard had by far the best offense of any of the 1a teams Mayfield played. They also had more overall playmakers and speed. I do think they had the weakest defensive line play and there corners got burned a ton of times, but, so did Beechwoods and LHCs, so, it's hard to say which was worse. They didn't get to 14-0 by not being a very solid team and there schedule was as good as Mayfields, if not better. Corbin made the semis in 2a, Breathitt made the quarter finals in 3a, Clay Co beat Scott Co like a drum and Scott was in the 6a semi's. They also beat a pretty good big school in Letcher Central and, of course, LCAs a solid ballclub, too. I'm sure, like Mayfield in 2009, that they're better than what they showed in that 1 game, but, as far as entire body of work throughout the year, I think they deserve to be #2, right behind the Cardinals. Beechwood at 3, LHC at 4, LCA at 5, Fairview at 6, Frankfort at 7, Pikeville at 8, KCD at 9 and Raceland at 10....

We are in totally different dimensions on most of this. I agree they had the best offense. Their schedule was weaker and every one of the ratings systems will agree with me on that. I cant imagine your top 10 in 1A not having Crittenden County in it though they were not the same team at the end of the year after Starns had to suspend a couple players and their best 2 way player went down to injury at Murray

Not saying Hazard wasn't #2 just how the other teams played Mayfield and that those teams Could beat Hazard.

I agree...I think they are the #2 based on body of work throughout the season, but, no doubt, any of the teams you mentioned, could beat them on a given night. Like 6a, 5a and 2a, with Trinity, Highlands and NCC, Mayfield was 2 or 3 notches ahead of the rest of there class and then there was alot of parity below and the Hazards, Beechwoods, Crittendens, LHCs, etc. are all capable of beating the other...

Pikeville and Kentucky Country Day aren't and weren't top-10 teams. Crittenden County was, and I suspect the Bethlehem team that beat them in the first round of the playoffs was, too.

Hazard was a good team that happened not to play well in the championship game and was overrun by a great Class A team.