Sparky Anderson has died at 76

I wonder if former Reds 3B John Vukovich thinks highly of Sparky. In Joe Posnanski's recent book "The Machine" he talks about how little faith Sparky had in Vukovich who had won the 3B job in spring training but couldn't hit. The Reds got off to a bit of a slow start in 75 and Sparky was anxious. In a game against the Dodgers he sent up Dan Driessen to pinch-hit for Vukovich in the 2ND INNING! I've never seen a PHer come in that early.

That basically ended Vuko's days as a starter and led to Pete moving to 3rd a little bit later.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't realize how close Marty and Sparky were. Marty said he knew of every trade being discussed and every trade the Reds were making before they happened because Sparky always kept him in the loop. Marty knew Sparky was being fired when he talked to Sparky about a presser that was coming up the next day. Marty assumed it was to announce that the Reds had traded for Lee Lacy. Sparky told him that he couldn't tell him about the details of this one but afterwards he'd answer all of Marty's questions. Marty hung up the phone knowing that Sparky had been fired.

Marty had trouble finishing his interview with Willie today. This and the loss of Joe has hit him hard.

Loved Sparky's no nonsense approach. If you played for Sparky, you always knew where you stood. I heard where he had told his wife that he did not want any kind of funeral or memorial service. Sounds just like Sparky, he never made anything about himself. RIP Sparky.

I think that is what I most admired about the man. He never accepted any credit for anything. Everything that happened to him was due to others. A truly amazing man.