Highlands 36 Covington Catholic 7 (Frosh)

jbwill2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll see Dressman get some snaps over the next couple of years that allow him to get the ball and make plays. He runs well. Could be a big WR or a TE. Nice weapon.

I agree. He runs a little better than he throws. Does a nice job throwing the ball up to 12 yards. After that, it's going to get picked quite often and it showed tonight. Not a very strong arm down the field...IMO!!! Very nice runner though!:thumb:

I agree. He runs a little better than he throws. Does a nice job throwing the ball up to 12 yards. After that, it's going to get picked quite often and it showed tonight. Not a very strong arm down the field...IMO!!! Very nice runner though!:thumb:

Nice observation! I agree. Will want to get the ball in his hands though. He runs/works hard.

Based on previous scores, I don't think there is really any doubt that these 2 teams will meet again in the finals. So if you take out the punt return touchdown, sounds like the 1st half was even. When you turn the ball to start a 2nd half and the team punches it in for a 2 score lead that can demoralize 14 year olds.

I am disappointed because I wanted the Colonels to make a better showing. The Varsity only defeated the 'Birds 3 times in the 2000's....I would like it to be more this decade. This class has the talent to play with anyone, just didn't show it tonight.

Congratulations Birds! Impressive game and great overall team effort.

I agree with the discussion above regarding a number of players who had special games including Hergott and the three headed running attack of Harris, Wrobleski and Hayes. One name I don't believe I have seen in this thread so far is Drew Houliston who not only did a great job running the team as QB but I believe had two interceptions as well. Defense was impressive especially in the second half holding a good offense to one touchdown and no other meaningful threats for scores.

Also, the often overlooked special teams were truly special and a huge advantage for the Birds. i would guess around a 200 yard differential in return yards for the game. 80 yard punt return by Hayes for the first score of the game (which swung momentum in birds favor), another kickoff ran back (I believe by Wrobleski but could have been Green) after Colonels touchdown near the end of second quarter inside Colonel 30 (plus a late hit on play that moved it inside 15 although Colonels D did a good job and stiffened up and did not give up score following that return), as well as a number of other good returns. Also, two of Bobby Plau's low line drive kickoffs also made it to the end zone for touchbacks and to the best of my memory none of the others nor any of the punts were returned for meaningful returns.

1st half was very even. 1 long punt return (the Hayes kid in open space is dangerous) and 1 long run (Wrobleski gets tough yards between the tackles but still has "pull away" speed to turn 10 yd gains into 60 or 93 yd TDs) v. strong sustained drive by CCH for a TD.

2nd half was running downhill for HHS. 2 picks by #12 Houliston, defensive adjustments (primarily to the formations CCH was using including 4 wide), big kick return by #80 Greene (they didn't score, but it changed field position) and overall offensive execution were the difference.

Unsung hero of the game for HHS? #1 Plau. Good punts and kickoffs made for a much longer field for CCH to navigate.

Congratulations Birds! Impressive game and great overall team effort.

I agree with the discussion above regarding a number of players who had special games including Hergott and the three headed running attack of Harris, Wrobleski and Hayes. One name I don't believe I have seen in this thread so far is Drew Houliston who not only did a great job running the team as QB but I believe had two interceptions as well. Defense was impressive especially in the second half holding a good offense to one touchdown and no other meaningful threats for scores.

Also, the often overlooked special teams were truly special and a huge advantage for the Birds. i would guess around a 200 yard differential in return yards for the game. 80 yard punt return by Hayes for the first score of the game (which swung momentum in birds favor), another kickoff ran back (I believe by Wrobleski but could have been Green) after Colonels touchdown near the end of second quarter inside Colonel 30 (plus a late hit on play that moved it inside 15 although Colonels D did a good job and stiffened up and did not give up score following that return), as well as a number of other good returns. Also, two of Bobby Plau's low line drive kickoffs also made it to the end zone for touchbacks and to the best of my memory none of the others nor any of the punts were returned for meaningful returns.

Thanks for the additional info.

I was going to mention 86. Did a great job chasing down runners from the backside.

In case others haven't yet made the connection, #86 for HHS was Seth Hope. I thought he played a whale of a game. Size and speed are a potent combination at DE (particularly in a system where the 3 D lineman are often "sacrificed" rather than "featured" to occupy the OL so the LBs can make plays.